What's new

Game Thread Apr 18, 2022 06:30PM MT: Jazz at Mavericks - Game 2

Added to Calendar: 04-18-22

Neither does Donovan in crunch time.

So I guess I agree that this system is garbage.
Yep.

On defense, Rudy isn't surrounded by the right personnel to run what Quin wants to run.

On offense, Don isn't surrounded by the right personnel because he's the only guy who can create offense when everything slows down in the 4th quarter.

Conley can't get past his man and his defending isn't a strength.
Bogey can't get past his man, can get blanketed on the perimeter, and we can't post him up because Rudy's guy can help.
Royce needs to play less minutes.

Those 3 don't bring out the best in Don or Rudy in crunch time.

I see a pattern developing here.
2020: Jazz blow a 3-1 lead in the playoffs, lose series in 7 games
2021: Jazz blow a 2-0 lead in the playoffs, lose series in 6 games
2022: Jazz blow a 1-0 lead in the playoffs, lose series in 5 games?
2023: Jazz blow a 0-0 lead in the playoffs, lose series in 4 games
2024: Jazz blow a 0-1 lead in the playoffs, lose series in 3 games?

Holy ****! Talk about making history!

Mitchell on offense is doing everything to keep Utah in the game through three quarters that it seems he just doesn't have what it takes to close things out.

Utah is really hurting for a second scoring option that can consistently support Mitchell, which I think DOES lead to him attempting to take over the game in the final minutes.

Ideally, our experienced point guard would be a closer. But he's scored 13 points in two games. No bueno.

Ultimately, none of this matters. Utah is just spinning its wheels at this point. Even if they get by Dallas, which feels like a task in and of itself, they're going to get wrecked by Phoenix.

I said last week that Utah was every bit their seed, despite a couple fans convinced the way the season ended was an anomaly. It's not. They are who they are and have been under Quin. This team is not built to win anything tangible in the playoffs because the playoffs are where teams who can't make adjustments go to die and Utah just isn't good under Quin at adjustments.

We saw it last year when Quin apparently was dog walking Ty Lue according to a local media member. Lue adjusted and Utah had zero answers. Now Kidd is using the same playbook that the Clippers used to win four-straight last year... and we have no answer.

View attachment 11976

Trivia question for the "Gobert got exposed" truthers: What happens if Gobert stays on the perimeter to guard Kleiber?
Now imagine Bogey had the slightest defensive insight and rotated over to cover the guy that already had hit 5-6 3s at that point instead of standing in no-man's land the entire play.

You’re not wrong. Then we shouldn’t be getting mad at Royce, Rudy, Spida, etc. it’s the FO’s incompetence that’s holding this team back. Why aren’t they addressing team needs?
To be fair that's why Lindsey got fired.

Yep.

On defense, Rudy isn't surrounded by the right personnel to run what Quin wants to run.

On offense, Don isn't surrounded by the right personnel because he's the only guy who can create offense when everything slows down in the 4th quarter.

Conley can't get past his man and his defending isn't a strength.
Bogey can't get past his man, can get blanketed on the perimeter, and we can't post him up because Rudy's guy can help.
Royce needs to play less minutes.

Those 3 don't bring out the best in Don or Rudy in crunch time.
I feel like we should pair dm with Clarkson. Clarkson brings some nastiness in the game. some unpredictability and grit. both are efficient at attacking the rim. we will be iso heavy but it's playoff anyways and Mike isn't really getting Rudy involved. game 1 & 2 he have 3 assist! this playoff basketball time to wake up.

Jazz played a good game for 44 minutes.

What the **** is it about those last few minutes that has this team all screwed up?

I put this on Quin. Get your teams' head straight and give them big crayon instructions on what to do. They obviously start eating glue in the last few minutes unless you specifically tell them not to.
Problem is at this point I think this must be what Quin wants them to do. Or he's lost them completely and cannot get them to do anything different. Either way it's time for Quin to go.

I feel like we should pair dm with Clarkson. Clarkson brings some nastiness in the game. some unpredictability and grit. both are efficient at attacking the rim. we will be iso heavy but it's playoff anyways and Mike isn't really getting Rudy involved. game 1 & 2 he have 3 assist! this playoff basketball time to wake up.
That’s a nightmare defensively tho. With those two next to each other, Jazz allow blow-bys every possession to any opposing guards with even a little bit of quickness.

What adjustment can we make?!

This isn’t a coaching issue, it’s a personnel issue.
I think Juancho would have better covered for Kleber. He has better size and mobility than bogey and he can spot up from 3. House needed to be on the floor more than Royce. Why not try Butler or Forrest on Brunson even for a few minutes. All of these guys have shown better defensive chops than 3 of our 4 starters, maybe better than 4 of them. At least something to bother their primary scorers a little bit. I know the offense is an issue at that point but right now we can't close both gaps, so we should have tried to close one of them.

I’ve thought up to now that Donovan just thinks he’s more important than playing defense. Starting to wonder if he just doesn’t understand the general principle of defense. I couldn’t stop watching him on every “defensive” play. I can’t imagine anyone being any less interested.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

On the one where he left Klieber and went to help House, I’m not quite sure what Rudy was doing.

None of the rest was on Rudy.
That was mostly just the fact that he feels he has to help everyone. It was a pretty minor lapse, all things considered, and understandable since he is basically conditioned over the last 3 years that he has to cover everyone.

same with Mike on the floor. Brunson was eating him alive
Brunson was just Murray part II. We cannot stop strong quick guards. Mitchell can't or won't. Conley has lost more than a step and was never really a stellar defender anyway, not to mention being vertically-challenged. They feast on us like a Christmas goose.

Brunson was just Murray part II. We cannot stop strong quick guards. Mitchell can't or won't. Conley has lost more than a step and was never really a stellar defender anyway, not to mention being vertically-challenged. They feast on us like a Christmas goose.
Donovan can't be our only capable offensive player and be our defensive stopper. No guard/wing in the history of the NBA has been able to do that successfully.

Donovan needs to be our worst perimeter defender yet we got guys just as bad out there along with a system built around a big man that clearly doesn't work.

I would try NAW out some. Seriously, what do we have to lose?

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app