What's new

Game Thread Apr 25, 2022 7:30PM MT: Jazz at Mavericks - Game 5

Added to Calendar: 04-25-22

It’s examples like this (and Harden, and even Lebron, even when they’re distributing well) that makes me ALWAYS side-eye heliocentric offenses/hero ball. It feels like most of the time the end result is lack of confidence, rhythm, cohesiveness, and fun from their teammates that actually makes them worse off.

I get that in the playoffs, that type of play can separate good from great, but it should be more of an emergency strategy than an every-minute-star-x-is-in-the game strategy. This is low-key one of the things that separates Curry from all the rest since he plays a lot off ball AND can dish (I think he might be the second-deadliest offensive player of the modern era behind MJ, but that’s another conversation).
It’s also why we really need Mitchell to figure out when to pass and when to shoot. He’s still in the hero ball mindset most of the time when he should be looking to draw defenders and then kick.

Also, does anyone know why we aren’t using Rudy to set a high screen for Don on the pick and roll to get Finney-Smith off of him? Donovan has been flying by everyone else but him and Rudy is supposed to be the best screen assist guy out there, plus it collapses the defense allowing Don to pass to open shooters or if the defenders stay in place he gets to the rim or has a potential lob to Rudy. I know I’m simplifying it, however I saw quite a few times that could have been run last night. Instead, we’re using Royce or Mike or another smaller guy who is much easier to fight through or get around. What am I missing?

It’s also why we really need Mitchell to figure out when to pass and when to shoot. He’s still in the hero ball mindset most of the time when he should be looking to draw defenders and then kick.
The issue is that the Mitchell has to operate a switch for both these modes to a greater degree than some other stars. It's not a fluid natural thing for him to see both options and take the best one.

I also like that one play we ran where we used Royce as the PNR diver and he got the ball to Rudy on the lob out of the dunker spot.

I think doing more of those types of things where we change were we are feeding Rudy from can help us get buckets here and there.

The issue is that the Mitchell has to operate a switch for both these modes to a greater degree than some other stars. It's not a fluid natural thing for him to see both options and take the best one.
I agree. For whatever reason, it seems like it’s all pass or all score when we need it to vary, sometimes within a quarter. I love his tenacity, when he gets that look and is talking to himself, I just wish he would fake us all out like he did last night with Rudy more often and pass rather than shoot. I loved it. It reminded me a bit of the Jordan to Paxton and Kerr shots, obviously not as big but for me hopefully another step in his evolution as a player: sharing opportunities for heroics to achieve greatness.

It’s examples like this (and Harden, and even Lebron, even when they’re distributing well) that makes me ALWAYS side-eye heliocentric offenses/hero ball. It feels like most of the time the end result is lack of confidence, rhythm, cohesiveness, and fun from their teammates that actually makes them worse off.

I get that in the playoffs, that type of play can separate good from great, but it should be more of an emergency strategy than an every-minute-star-x-is-in-the game strategy. This is low-key one of the things that separates Curry from all the rest since he plays a lot off ball AND can dish (I think he might be the second-deadliest offeg, nsive player of the modern era behind MJ, but that’s another conversation).
Athletic level, physical strenght, stamina seem to grow year after year. It makes it harder and harder for superstars Luka style to keep their mojo and that of his teammates while playing very long minutes at very high usage.
Curry OTOH is in a class of his own. Dude's changed the game before our eyes. He's got everything.

I just talked to a chinese tarot reader deep in the mountains of Taiwan. He said Jazz will win the ring this year because the lob donovan threw to gobert shattered some kind of negative cosmic energy and then donovan jumped into the air and nipple checked gobert whose nipples interlaced causing some kind of celestial nipple spark. It's all weird to me too, but he's legit.

I just talked to a chinese tarot reader deep in the mountains of Taiwan. He said Jazz will win the ring this year because the lob donovan threw to gobert shattered some kind of negative cosmic energy and then donovan jumped into the air and nipple checked gobert whose nipples interlaced causing some kind of celestial nipple spark. It's all weird to me too, but he's legit.
leaked jazz jersey for the next game

Heart-Nipple-Feminist-Sweatshirt-Feminist-Apparel-Feminist-Clothing-Feminist-Sweatshirt-JH030-The-Spark-Company-X-Small-UK-6-Sky-Blue-5_300x300.jpg

On one hand Dallas wasn't playing with the same intensity last game and we only won by a point. On the other hand we have still not had a great shooting night. If Luka continues to start feeling better he has another level he can get to. I think we have another level we can get to as well.