What's new

Are the Jazz going to trade Rudy?

ESPN story on free agent Anthony Davis finalizing a 5-year, $190M deal to stay with the Lakers:

In a normal world Gobert would have to sign for less, they don't have the same value ...
I'm surprised AD didn't do a 2 year deal then get a max at the 10 year mark.

But the Lakers are officially nasty. Better than last year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Listened to Game Notes Pod with Tony Jones... sadly Zach Harper is no longer his co-host...

With regard to Rudy. Tony says they are trying to pay him a lot of money. Doesn't seem like anything is imminent or that he is worried a deal won't get done. One thing to watch is that he said they are not trading him either way. I think Rudy gonna get a bag... not quite full supermax but maybe a version of it.

My guess is that we give Rudy a version of the supermax and it hits at somewhere are 4/160M. Honestly at this point I'm fine with it. I'm not confident enough in management to replace what Rudy does or navigate a pivot, so why not overpay. I think the next 3-4 years are the best we may see for a while unless we get some great draft luck. So I'm not interested in trying to trade Rudy or nickel and dime him and piss him off.

Listened to Game Notes Pod with Tony Jones... sadly Zach Harper is no longer his co-host...

With regard to Rudy. Tony says they are trying to pay him a lot of money. Doesn't seem like anything is imminent or that he is worried a deal won't get done. One thing to watch is that he said they are not trading him either way. I think Rudy gonna get a bag... not quite full supermax but maybe a version of it.
You mean it's now 100% more listenable?

I don't think Rudy wants out; I think Rudy wants respect. He's craved it every step of the way. For crying out loud, his jersey number is his draft spot as a sign to all those teams who didn't draft him. He has a massive chip on his shoulder.

He wants to be respected as one of the best so I'm sure he wants to be paid like one of the best. This is the argument I've been making for about a year now. The guy is awesome, but he's not the combination of offensive, defensive and off court marketing talent that's worth much more than the regular max. If he expects anything near the supermax, he has to be traded.

Almost all supermax contracts are regretted not long after they are signed. Players just don't live up to the deal. Look at even Steph Curry after his injuries are taken into account, he won't be worth his supermax contract. People will think he is because he's Steph, but the output from the day he signed the deal until it's completed will be underwhelming.
My thought also

If Rudy will only sign the supermax, I would give it to him. At the end of the, it doesn't change team building dynamics. The Jazz will be capped out and over the tax anyways. Easy decision for me because I'm not paying the bill.

My guess is that we give Rudy a version of the supermax and it hits at somewhere are 4/160M. Honestly at this point I'm fine with it. I'm not confident enough in management to replace what Rudy does or navigate a pivot, so why not overpay. I think the next 3-4 years are the best we may see for a while unless we get some great draft luck. So I'm not interested in trying to trade Rudy or nickel and dime him and piss him off.
Maybe this is God working in mysterious ways for our good. Perhaps they end up paying Rudy more than they anticipated, which makes them panic about repeater tax, so we trade for OPJ.

Supermax's are denominated as percentages of cap right, not actual dollars? If so, does it get adjusted to the cap every year or some kind of anchor year?

Supermax's are denominated as percentages of cap right, not actual dollars? If so, does it get adjusted to the cap every year or some kind of anchor year?
I think from where it starts you get maximum raise amounts... I believe there is a limit though that you can't get more than the 35% of the cap. Not sure.

We could start Rudy at the supermax amount of 37,5M and then raise or lower his salary each year up to 8% of the previous amount. It might be wise to have it decline on the backend, but our financial crunch is really next year... then Ingles contract will drop off.

Really interested to see what does or doesn't get done.

15 days left for the two parties to reach a deal. Otherwise they can extend, but not for the supermax.

The language surrounding the contract sounds well spirited and cooperative. Still, until that tall French lady sings...

A supermax for Rudy Gobert would be so incredibly stupid.

Yes, he helps us win games. He doesn't carry us to playoff wins, but he does give us a better chance to win than not having him.

Supermax is for the truly dominant guys who have massively marketable attraction to consumers. Look at our national TV schedule. We aren't featured despite having a rising star signed by Adidas. Why? Because we build everything around Rudy who is boring. Old school.

If Rudy was carrying us to playoff series wins, I don't care that we are boring. But he's not. HE NEVER HAS. He is not worth a supermax or even close.

It's not about labels its about opportunity cost. The opportunity cost of Rudy signing a super max versus a normals max is simply more money out of Ryan Smith's pocket. If you don't sign him, your options are letting him walk for nothing (you don't get cap space) or trading him for pennies.

So what's worth more to you, Ryan Smith's money, or being a competitive team while Mitchell is still here?

If Rudy will only sign the supermax, I would give it to him. At the end of the, it doesn't change team building dynamics. The Jazz will be capped out and over the tax anyways. Easy decision for me because I'm not paying the bill.
Ryan hasn’t given many clear signals that he likes big tax bills; so the evidence suggests the size of Rudy’s contact will have a direct influence of “team building dynamics.”

It's not about labels its about opportunity cost. The opportunity cost of Rudy signing a super max versus a normals max is simply more money out of Ryan Smith's pocket. If you don't sign him, your options are letting him walk for nothing (you don't get cap space) or trading him for pennies.

So what's worth more to you, Ryan Smith's money, or being a competitive team while Mitchell is still here?
I will spend endless amounts of Ryan’s money. Clear your shelves for all the inevitable championship trophies.

That was easy.

It's not just Ryan Smith's money. Paying Rudy $45 million in a few years is destroying roster flexibility.

Think about it. If we pay Rudy more than others would/could give him ($35 million for example), we could still give a full MLE ($9.5ish) and still be under $45 million.

There is no fair way to explain a supermax for Rudy. We would be spending against ourselves.