What's new

Are the Jazz going to trade Rudy?

It's very obvious they didn't value Udoka that highly or they never would've traded down, there's no way to be that certain about other front offices. No idea why we'd put out that type of stuff now.
Seems pretty plausible to me.

Analytics models overrate big men and the Jazz really like defensive minded bigs.

Seems pretty plausible to me.

Analytics models overrate big men and the Jazz really like defensive minded bigs.

Him being ~7th or whatever on our board is believable, but the trade down in advance doesn't make any sense then, if there's a guy you're that high on likely to be available at 23rd you just take him and damn the consensus. Not drop and make it less likely to get him in exchange for minor assets.

I trust Dan’s math and it jives with my calcs. Sounds like we have to go to 14 contracts. If they waived NWG and signed Shaq I think I will stop complaining for 6 weeks.
Pleasing me would be fairly easy this offseason. If we had even drafted Udoka, signed Shaq, and a vet center that would compete with Udoka, I'd have been fairly happy. We could have pocketed the difference.

Him being ~7th or whatever on our board is believable, but the trade down in advance doesn't make any sense then, if there's a guy you're that high on likely to be available at 23rd you just take him and damn the consensus. Not drop and make it less likely to get him in exchange for minor assets.
I mean, if they also valued a guy like Hughes very highly and trusted the intel, I dont see what's hard to believe. The Jazz are suppose to be a smart team in regards to this kind of intel because of Justin Zanick.

Interesting. I really wonder what kind of move they are about to make. Everything does feel a bit weird.
That’s what I think... it could be a nothing burger and then we are just strangely cheap... sometimes. Like once you are in the tax adding another minimum guy ain’t that big a deal. In for a penny in for a pound.

I mean, if they also valued a guy like Hughes very highly and trusted the intel, I dont see what's hard to believe. The Jazz are suppose to be a smart team in regards to this kind of intel because of Justin Zanick.
Huh? Eminence makes a really good point. Your reply doesn't.

So they valued the guy at 7, but traded back to the exact spot required to get him, knowing the exact way the draft would play out?

Kick *** narrative. It reminds me of another one, where no matter what happens, it was "gods plan". This god fella/gal sure has it figured out. Must have been in DL's frat at Baylor.

That’s what I think... it could be a nothing burger and then we are just strangely cheap... sometimes. Like once you are in the tax adding another minimum guy ain’t that big a deal. In for a penny in for a pound.
I just don't know what that would be. If it feels weird, it's because the FO is dense. Either that or DL is trying to secure some second rounders to send to Chicago for Porter.

Looking at the article below, it appears the Jazz saved about $250,000 in first year salary by grabbing Udoka at 27 versus 23. I would guess their intel told them no between 23 and 26 was looking at Udoka (consistent with most mock drafts). As they knew they would be close to the luxury tax, maybe they figured it was a good way to save $250,000?

No the jazz as an organization is likely sitting on substantial assets, including cash. It will cut into cash flow and margin, but it isn't like they have no money and if they have to pay the tax they will have to panhandle to get the cash.
No, he "could" pay the bills for a long time. Here is the thing about rich people: They don't like to spend money, nor lose it. It is why they are rich.

He won't dip into his cash much...if at all. If anything, the Jazz's moves have shown this so far.

It's very obvious they didn't value Udoka that highly or they never would've traded down, there's no way to be that certain about other front offices. No idea why we'd put out that type of stuff now.
Dennis Lindsey thinks he is the smartest man in the league and he wants everyone to know it. He has a lot of Chip Kelly in him.

I just don't know what that would be. If it feels weird, it's because the FO is dense. Either that or DL is trying to secure some second rounders to send to Chicago for Porter.
I think it may have to do with Rudy but I could be reading tea leaves that don’t exist and we are just a little incompetent. If we were confident Rudy is staying you don’t sign Favs for as long as you did. You find another option on a one year deal... especially with future tax concerns hanging out there. If you are going to get within 1-2M of the tax... then maybe plan to squeeze that out of JCs contract, Favs contract, and waive NWG while buying a pick in the 50s that has a 900k cap number and not a 1.7M cap number.

Like if we had signed Baynes or Lopez for 7M one year it makes a lot more sense now and in the future. Udoka takes over backup duties in a year.

Without another move the logic doesn’t quite add up... or it just adds up to our front office being slightly dull.

For what it’s worth. Training camp starts tomorrow and the Lakers haven’t signed Anthony Davis either.

Huh? Eminence makes a really good point. Your reply doesn't.

So they valued the guy at 7, but traded back to the exact spot required to get him, knowing the exact way the draft would play out?

Kick *** narrative. It reminds me of another one, where no matter what happens, it was "gods plan". This god fella/gal sure has it figured out. Must have been in DL's frat at Baylor.
Who said it was the exact spot? Maybe he would have been there at 38, who knows? They did it for a reason though and I'm guessing it was because they had a good idea that him or McDaniels would be there and that Hughes/Woodard would be there at 38.

I think it may have to do with Rudy but I could be reading tea leaves that don’t exist and we are just a little incompetent. If we were confident Rudy is staying you don’t sign Favs for as long as you did. You find another option on a one year deal... especially with future tax concerns hanging out there. If you are going to get within 1-2M of the tax... then maybe plan to squeeze that out of JCs contract, Favs contract, and waive NWG while buying a pick in the 50s that has a 900k cap number and not a 1.7M cap number.

Like if we had signed Baynes or Lopez for 7M one year it makes a lot more sense now and in the future. Udoka takes over backup duties in a year.

Without another move the logic doesn’t quite add up... or it just adds up to our front office being slightly dull.
I would look at those decisions in context with previous decisions. DL kept riding Favors/Gobert. He brought Derrick back on a huge over-pay deal, which granted wasn't guaranteed on the second year, but this is quintessential DL. He did it with Exum when it made no sense and when there really wouldn't be a place other than backup for Exum. DL probably regrets being forced to move on from Favors and he's spent so much time thinking about getting him back, or wondering what we'd look like if we had him back, that he didn't really think about cost. Even if he thought Rudy could be traded, he still doesn't need to overpay to get Favors. Our overpay of Favors is independent of what happens with Rudy. I mean, we could lose Rudy, but I think giving Favors a fat contract was very much a DL thing and not a "we need a possible Rudy replacement" thing.

For what it’s worth. Training camp starts tomorrow and the Lakers haven’t signed Anthony Davis either.
Yeah we’ve heard a little more certainty there though. I just think if you can avoid having it linger into camp both sides have incentive to make their final push and get it done. So if it doesn’t it’s because there is something big enough to hold it up. I thought it’d be fairly easy and it’d be 4 for 125-140m but if he wants supermax that’s 4/168 (though they could start high and decline to make it less absurd and say they gave Rudy the “supermax”)

Is there a long 3 or 4 who plays d and stretches the floor who would be attainable and make any sense?

I would look at those decisions in context with previous decisions. DL kept riding Favors/Gobert. He brought Derrick back on a huge over-pay deal, which granted wasn't guaranteed on the second year, but this is quintessential DL. He did it with Exum when it made no sense and when there really wouldn't be a place other than backup for Exum. DL probably regrets being forced to move on from Favors and he's spent so much time thinking about getting him back, or wondering what we'd look like if we had him back, that he didn't really think about cost. Even if he thought Rudy could be traded, he still doesn't need to overpay to get Favors. Our overpay of Favors is independent of what happens with Rudy. I mean, we could lose Rudy, but I think giving Favors a fat contract was very much a DL thing and not a "we need a possible Rudy replacement" thing.
Sloppy, inconsistent, super conservative, or has some master plan and thought we’d need to move Rudy or Mike. I guess sloppy is the best option?