What's new

Are the Jazz going to trade Rudy?

What if the other 65% of the cap goes to Luka and Lebron?

The question is not will Rudy win is a title if we keep him at 30 or 35% of the cap. The question is what else does that cap number buy and is that better than Rudy?

If Joe/Bojan/JC eat 40% of the cap is that a better or worse use cap?

Only a few teams get to win titles each decade. Would be nice to get in the mix but it’s hard. We have a chance to go to the conference finals... from there we need luck... Rudy leaving leaves us worse than that imo.

My statement was for teams without top 10 players, obviously Luka and Lebron are top 10.

Wanting to win and thinking him getting the ball at the rim more will help is apparently diva ****.

The amount of dirty work he does that doesn’t get noticed or appreciated likely finally got to him a little and so he complained a bit... even the fans on this site look at his raw numbers and don’t appreciate what he does.
Rudy is certainly not a diva but he is definitely immature at times. Sorry but crying in public over allstar snub was not a mature reaction. I ve been always a big soccer fan and there is that one Bayern Munich player - Lewandowski, top striker, who has just been awarded best FIFA player of the year. He is not so flashy as Messi or Ronaldo but is super efficient and in the same top tier. Two years ago he was voted only like 16th in Golden Ball plebiscite (best player award, which is a bit like MVP voting). He just commented it with some sarcastic joke because he is super confident and knows his value. I would like Rudy to have the same attitude. That whole touching the mics Rudy did was also childish thing. I still love him as a player and hope he stays here but I don't think he is an easy teammate.

Rudy is certainly not a diva but he is definitely immature at times. Sorry but crying in public over allstar snub was not a mature reaction. I ve been always a big soccer fan and there is that one Bayern Munich player - Lewandowski, top striker, who has just been awarded best FIFA player of the year. He is not so flashy as Messi or Ronaldo but is super efficient and in the same top tier. Two years ago he was voted only like 16th in Golden Ball plebiscite (best player award, which is a bit like MVP voting). He just commented it with some sarcastic joke because he is super confident and knows his value. I would like Rudy to have the same attitude. That whole touching the mics Rudy did was also childish thing. I still love him as a player and hope he stays here but I don't think he is an easy teammate.
Soccer is lame.

And this is the classic example of why team's without top 10 players have tiny little championship windows. Rudy at 35% of the cap is winning nothing championship wise.
Paying 30 vs. 35% of the cap will not make a difference.

I'm not advocating for losing Rudy for nothing. I'm advocating for a trade if he wants anything near supermax.
Some people seem to be discounting this scenario out of hand when there is probably some truth to the rumors. I watched the Clippers feed for the game on Thursday and it was reported by Brian Sieman, the play by play announcer, that Gobert had been offered the max but was holding out for the supermax. As much as I respect Rudy and what he brings to the Jazz, I personally don't believe that he's worth the supermax. With a small market team like the Jazz, I'd have a hard enough time giving that kind of money to a Giannis, let alone Gobert.

I always liked a Gobert for Steven Adams trade scenario, but that ship has sailed now (17.5 a year, the Pels got over!) I don't think there's comparable value out there and the list of teams that have that kind of cap space is small. Considering the uncertain times we find ourselves in, I'm not sure how many teams would be willing or have the capacity to offer him that kind of money. And finding a potential match is also difficult. As much as it hurts to lose him for nothing, we may have to play the waiting game. Thank God we drafted Azubuike, who looks to have some potential and more importantly, got Favors back!

The best deal I could see that works and "could" induce benefit for both teams would be Gobert and Morgan for Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac. I considered Vucevic but there goes our rim protection and I think Bamba would be a nonstarter from their perspective. Another intriguing trade scenario from my perspective would be Gobert and Morgan for Julius Randle and Mitchell Robinson. Both of these deals work in the trade machine by the way. This Knicks deal would give us +7 wins according to the machine and shed about 8 mil this year as well as the money we'd save on the new contract. As they covet a big name "Franchise Player" and lack a strong center, I'm sure they'd bite as well!

Last edited:
Some people seem to be discounting this scenario out of hand when there is probably some truth to the rumors. I watched the Clippers feed for the game on Thursday and it was reported by Brian Sieman, the play by play announcer, that Gobert had been offered the max but was holding out for the supermax. As much as I respect Rudy and what he brings to the Jazz, I personally don't believe that he's worth the supermax. With a small market team like the Jazz, I'd have a hard enough time giving that kind of money to a Giannis, let alone Gobert.

I always liked a Gobert for Steven Adams trade scenario, but that ship has sailed now (17.5 a year, the Pels got over!) I don't think there's comparable value out there and the list of teams that have that kind of cap space is small. Considering the uncertain times we find ourselves in, I'm not sure how many teams would be willing or have the capacity to offer him that kind of money. And finding a potential match is also difficult. As much as it hurts to lose him for nothing, we may have to play the waiting game. Thank God we drafted Azubuike, who looks to have some potential and more importantly, got Favors back!

The best deal I could see that works and "could" induce benefit for both teams would be Gobert and Morgan for Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac. I considered Vucevic but there goes our rim protection and I think Bamba would be a nonstarter from their perspective. Another intriguing trade scenario from my perspective would be Gobert and Morgan for Julius Randle and Mitchell Robinson. Both of these deals work in the trade machine by the way. This Knicks deal would give us +7 wins according to the machine and shed about 8 mil this year as well as the money we'd save on the new contract. As they covet a big name "Franchise Player" and lack a strong center, I'm sure they'd bite as well!
So do you think Mr Sieman was reporting what a Rudy wants from his inside source or just regurgitating the same false report we all heard... I’m guessing the play by play announcer for the clippers has exactly zero inside sources.

So do you think Mr Sieman was reporting what a Rudy wants from his inside source or just regurgitating the same false report we all heard... I’m guessing the play by play announcer for the clippers has exactly zero inside sources.
6:15 on a Saturday. Go to bed.

Paying 30 vs. 35% of the cap will not make a difference.
Not this year, in upcoming years it could prevent the Jazz from landing a key free agent. For instance Bogey wouldn't have signed for 15m a year. Clarkson wouldn't have signed for 8 million a year. Ingles isn't going to last much longer, we'll need money. At some point you have to draw the line, with Favors on board at an awesome contract and Udoka waiting in the wings its 30% for me.

Not this year, in upcoming years it could prevent the Jazz from landing a key free agent. For instance Bogey wouldn't have signed for 15m a year. Clarkson wouldn't have signed for 8 million a year. Ingles isn't going to last much longer, we'll need money. At some point you have to draw the line, with Favors on board at an awesome contract and Udoka waiting in the wings its 30% for me.
We got Bogdanovic because we were under the cap. We signed Clarkson with Bird rights. We will be over the cap regardless.

Fake news? What did you say Donald?
Is it like that with the media now? Do I need to vet my sources before I respond to a forum on Jazzfanz?

Last edited:
I’ve also seen rumors that Gobert hasn’t asked for super max deal, so I’m not even sure what or who to believe.

I’ve also seen rumors that Gobert hasn’t asked for super max deal, so I’m not even sure what or who to believe.
Still, the fact that Rudy hasn’t reigned in a contract year raises all kinds of possibilities and legitimate questions leading to speculation. And when it comes to unsubstantiated speculation in the media, that can lead to serious career limiting repercussions.

If gobert doesn’t sign his extension by Monday...do you trade or let it play out? Collins/capela is interesting