What's new

Are you worried about your cholesterol?

MVP

So... it may be again fundamental difference between Europeans and Americans.... You guys here seem to be crazy about cholesterol and think it is some kind of evil. In Europe folks think you guys are just in it for money and actually are poisoning yourself with anticholesterol drugs.
https://www.ravnskov.nu/
My own grandma lived for 102 years and never in her life she cooked on oil. She cooked on lard, ate lots of pork, eggs, chicken and potatoes, had 9 kids and probably never had her cholesterol checked in her entire life. And yet she died from bone cancer and never had any cardiovascular issues. My other grandma is still alive and doing well at age of 92 and she is pretty much on the same "fat and high cholesterol diet". So how is it, are you worried eating bacon and eggs and maybe you are told by your doctor to take anticholesterol drugs? Share your experience and your point of view.

This is anecdotal but...

It seems like the over thirties in the US are built better than the under thirties. A little taller, bigger bones, more muscle(without working out). I think this may have to do with a switch from cholesterol laden home cooked meals towards ready made crap.

Again I have zero evidence for this.

I love oatmeal particularly steel cut oats and my cholesterol is just fine despite a healthy love of red meat and pork barbecue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using JazzFanz mobile app

Reactions: MVP
Ya Americans are insanely worried about cholesterol, that's why there is a Mcdonalds, Burger King, White Castle, Wendy's, In-n-out, 5 guys burger, Carls Jr, smashburger, whataburger, Rally's, dairy queen, Jack in the Box, or Sonic behind every street corner. Stupid Americans, my country far superior to yours, just like AK and Jonas are better then Kobe and Shaq in their primes.

Sugar is the real problem. Sugar is what's killing us. Fat isn't a big deal. Carbs are not a big deal. Sugar unbound with fiber is the problem.

Sugar is the real problem. Sugar is what's killing us. Fat isn't a big deal. Carbs are not a big deal. Sugar unbound with fiber is the problem.

I beg to differ. The problem is entirely the fact that we ****ing eat too much and move too little. Lazy gluttonous ********. Get off our collective asses and walk further then to the ****ing end of the driveway now and then and things will be much better no matter what **** you stuff in your face.

I beg to differ. The problem is entirely the fact that we ****ing eat too much and move too little. Lazy gluttonous ********. Get off our collective asses and walk further then to the ****ing end of the driveway now and then and things will be much better no matter what **** you stuff in your face.

Isn't there an app for that?

I agree, but taking in an equal amount of calories to what you burn only works if your insulin levels are not elevated...

Ding Ding Ding Ding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

I think this was the guy who was on NPR that convinced me that sugar was the problem. Other than the residual sugar in beer and the sugar added to foods that they don't really belong in that I'm not going to kill myself to avoid I've cut out sugar from my diet except for sugar in whole food (fruit).

Ya Americans are insanely worried about cholesterol, that's why there is a Mcdonalds, Burger King, White Castle, Wendy's, In-n-out, 5 guys burger, Carls Jr, smashburger, whataburger, Rally's, dairy queen, Jack in the Box, or Sonic behind every street corner..

Well, americans spend most money on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs...maybe you should stick to religious subjects?
And have you ever been to any other part of the world? There is McDonalds on every corner in Japan or UK as well FYI.

I agree, but taking in an equal amount of calories to what you burn only works if your insulin levels are not elevated...

Exercise is an insulin regulator.

I think this was the guy who was on NPR that convinced me that sugar was the problem. Other than the residual sugar in beer and the sugar added to foods that they don't really belong in that I'm not going to kill myself to avoid I've cut out sugar from my diet except for sugar in whole food (fruit).

That is actually the problem with focusing on one single facet of diet. People get it in their head that sugar is all that maters so as long as I switch from sugar to splenda our stevia in my coffee I will magically be healthy no matter how many krispy kremes I ate with that coffee this morning, or just make sure I get a diet coke with my double whopper king sized value meal and I'm good. Or they get it in their head that carbs are all that matters so I eat 3 pounds of bacon but no toast so I'm golden. Or the recent glutin craze. Oh I never eat wheat, because my neighbor said he is glutin sensitive so it has to be the root of all evil. People just don't take any time or make the effort to learn that it all ties together.

See I understand a lot about diet and how it all fits together. I just don't care. :)

So... it may be again fundamental difference between Europeans and Americans.... You guys here seem to be crazy about cholesterol and think it is some kind of evil. In Europe folks think you guys are just in it for money and actually are poisoning yourself with anticholesterol drugs.
https://www.ravnskov.nu/
My own grandma lived for 102 years and never in her life she cooked on oil. She cooked on lard, ate lots of pork, eggs, chicken and potatoes, had 9 kids and probably never had her cholesterol checked in her entire life. And yet she died from bone cancer and never had any cardiovascular issues. My other grandma is still alive and doing well at age of 92 and she is pretty much on the same "fat and high cholesterol diet". So how is it, are you worried eating bacon and eggs and maybe you are told by your doctor to take anticholesterol drugs? Share your experience and your point of view.

I also know tens of relatives who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day, and lived into their 90s-- it doesn't mean that cigarettes aren't bad for you.

TO echo the sentiments in this thread: Sugar is the worst. Completely agree. Not only have I not had any soft-drinks in several years-- but I've even cut-down my fruit-juice intake to a bare minimum. Vegetables, water, and fruits here and there.

I also start off my mornings with a rotation of millet, buckwheat, quinoa, and rolled-oats. Absolute day-changer.

That is actually the problem with focusing on one single facet of diet. People get it in their head that sugar is all that maters so as long as I switch from sugar to splenda our stevia in my coffee I will magically be healthy no matter how many krispy kremes I ate with that coffee this morning, or just make sure I get a diet coke with my double whopper king sized value meal and I'm good. Or they get it in their head that carbs are all that matters so I eat 3 pounds of bacon but no toast so I'm golden. Or the recent glutin craze. Oh I never eat wheat, because my neighbor said he is glutin sensitive so it has to be the root of all evil. People just don't take any time or make the effort to learn that it all ties together.

See I understand a lot about diet and how it all fits together. I just don't care. :)

There has been much more to gluten research than just "my neighbour is celiac so it must be bad for me as well".

I also know tens of relatives who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day, and lived into their 90s-- it doesn't mean that cigarettes aren't bad for you.

Yup, there is obviously way more factors in longevity then just a single bad habbit.
Here is a joke:
Reporters from TV are visiting old man in mountains on his 100's birthday and asking him a question - "So what is your secret of longevity?... Oldman answers - "well, I never drunk, smoked or had sex in my life", then suddenly they hear laugh in other room. "Who is laughing there?" they ask oldman.... and he answers... "oh, it is just my dad - smoker, drinker and womanizer"...