What's new

Are you worried about your cholesterol?

While I agree somewhat with your sentiment regarding cholesterol specifically, I think the gist of what you're saying is a little off-base. It's been well known that higher LDL (bad cholesterol) is associated with increased morbidity and mortality due to cardiovascular causes (heart attack, stroke, etc.) The question is whether or not artificially lowering LDL levels actually changes outcome. Surprisingly, nothing's really ever shown that. Well, except statins, that have pretty good evidence for reducing morbidity and mortality. In this sense I believe you are correct in that people, and often times providers, get caught up in treating lab values. This is one reason why we keep treating high cholesterol with other medications that lower levels but don't improve outcomes -- because we're focusing so much in cholesterol when in reality cholesterol is just a correlate. A large part is genetic, as well, as you can eat well and exercise but still be at significant risk for heart attack or stroke. The lowest LDL I've ever seen (30) was in a woman on no cholesterol medications who had a heart attack.

So, if you're question is whether the focus on cholesterol is justified or not, the answer is both yes and no.

How long did you go?

Almost 5 months. The only things I really "gave up" was flour tortillas, hamburgers, and pizza. Though I did eat bread and pasta before it was never really a staple for me.
With what you described is going on in your body, I would highly recommend you read this book. Nothing gimmicky, just lays out some of the science'y stuff in an understandable way. It's basically advocating the paleo diet.
I looked up the Paleo diet and it actually looks like what I prefer to eat. Most of my diet is meat and vegetables. I am not really a pasta guy though I do eat a lot of potatoes(not sure if that's a nono). I do eat a fair amount of cheese,never milk, and should definitely remove refined sugars from my diet.

I have had chronic pain/migraine issues since I was a child and I honestly have given up hope of it ever getting any better. I may read the book but I am done getting myself all excited that I can feel any different. At a certain point you just learn to live with it. You can't exactly ignore it, but you can(on most days)grin and bear it. I am fairly well of the opinion now that my problems are probably largely genetic and the stress of trying to fix them is not only futile but also a distraction.

Last edited:
Well, americans spend most money on statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs...maybe you should stick to religious subjects?
And have you ever been to any other part of the world? There is McDonalds on every corner in Japan or UK as well FYI.

While I have annihilated you in religious debate and circumcision I have also annihilated you in this debate. I link evidence for my proof while you resort to fallacies. (another example is here you straw manned me I never said Mcdonalds didn't exist in Japan). Just look at the restaurant per capita in US compared to Japan and Norway. The American statistic is just restaurants while the other countries are fast food so the la times article may be misleading, going to have to read the article in the bottom.

https://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/22/news/la-heb-obesity-fast-food-20111222

Almost 5 months. The only things I really "gave up" was flour tortillas, hamburgers, and pizza. Though I did eat bread and pasta before it was never really a staple for me.

I looked up the Paleo diet and it actually looks like what I prefer to eat. Most of my diet is meat and vegetables. I am not really a pasta guy though I do eat a lot of potatoes(not sure if that's a nono). I do eat a fair amount of cheese,never milk, and should definitely remove refined sugars from my diet.

I have had chronic pain/migraine issues since I was a child and I honestly have given up hope of it ever getting any better. I may read the book but I am done getting myself all excited that I can feel any different. At a certain point you just learn to live with it. You can't exactly ignore it, but you can(on most days)grin and bear it. I am fairly well of the opinion now that my problems are probably largely genetic and the stress of trying to fix them is not only futile but also a distraction.

Even if your problem is "genetic", there is bound to be some environments that ease the symptoms more than others.

Keep experimenting with different diets, man. I hope you stumble onto something that works for you

PS: I know someone who had headaches for most of their life-- and they stopped after he didn't eat ANY dairy or wheat. Anecdotal? Yes-- but it's worth some thought.

Da hell is this paleo diet? Eat like a cave monkey and get goiter, become anemic, and permanent diarrhea?

Even if your problem is "genetic", there is bound to be some environments that ease the symptoms more than others.

Keep experimenting with different diets, man. I hope you stumble onto something that works for you

PS: I know someone who had headaches for most of their life-- and they stopped after he didn't eat ANY dairy or wheat. Anecdotal? Yes-- but it's worth some thought.

My wife used to have multiple severely debilitating migraines a month. It was bad. She started keeping a food journal and then stopped eating most dairy and especially cheese. I honestly can't remember the last time she had a migraine.

She also finally found a medicine that could stop the onset of a migraine if taken early enough. I could get the name of it but don't know it right now. She tried about a half-dozen different ones that didn't work.

I think the real death-nail was when she went off hormonal birth control.

Da hell is this paleo diet? Eat like a cave monkey and get goiter, become anemic, and permanent diarrhea?

I think you are confusing it with vegan diet. Paleo diet should never lead to anemia. Vegan diet unless supplemented with B12 does. And why on earth you would have diarrhea while eating meat, poultry, fish, fruit, nuts and vegetables? Goiter? For what reason? Salt with iodine can be part of paleo diet as well as variety of marine foods rich in iodine so not sure where you getting that idea.

I think you are confusing it with vegan diet. Paleo diet should never lead to anemia. Vegan diet unless supplemented with B12 does. And why on earth you would have diarrhea while eating meat, poultry, fish, fruit, nuts and vegetables? Goiter? For what reason? Salt with iodine can be part of paleo diet as well as variety of marine foods rich in iodine so not sure where you getting that idea.

Surprisingly: this.

Iodine particularly is of minimal concern-- buy a bag of sheets of Nori seaweed, or put in some kelp and wakame in your soups.

Reactions: MVP
My wife used to have multiple severely debilitating migraines a month. It was bad. She started keeping a food journal and then stopped eating most dairy and especially cheese. I honestly can't remember the last time she had a migraine.

She also finally found a medicine that could stop the onset of a migraine if taken early enough. I could get the name of it but don't know it right now. She tried about a half-dozen different ones that didn't work.

I think the real death-nail was when she went off hormonal birth control.

Sounds like Imitrex.

Iodine particularly is of minimal concern-- buy a bag of sheets of Nori seaweed, or put in some kelp and wakame in your soups.

or eat any meats with this salad:)

j9t2dy.jpg

I just pour a bottle of doTerra on all of my meals before eating them. I've never been sick, AND have acquired x-ray vision.

Stop eating McCrap and you'll be just fine.

Last time I ate McDonalds was 10 years ago. And only because they send free coupons to our house so I said, what the heck free food for new immigrants, lets go and try it. I could not even finish the freaking burger, that's how gross it was.

I'm the only one around here who can remember those days.

Fruit, nuts, and berries. Good stuff. Doesn't give you the runs all that much. More like "regular". You poop once a day, and you don't have to strain or get friends to digitally pull it out.

Srs.

uhhhmmm. . . . I still like the Americanized Chinese staples. Lots of veggies, enough MSG to pickle your fruit. Once a month at a fav chi place makes life good. The rest of the time I boil my own "mush" or rice. When I eat a lot of animal fat I can almost feel the grease in my blood vessels, so I just don't do it a lot. . . But the exercise thing is key. I walk three to six miles a day just moving irrigation lines in the summer, and stack about two thousand bales of hay to boot. My doctor wants to know how I have the heart of twenty-year old kid.