What's new

Ask A Farmer

RandyForRubio

It's winter, I'm bored. Ask me anything about farming, crops, gardening, GMO's, organic and even some cattle.

You may also ask me anything you want about anything. Except you [MENTION=40]Siro[/MENTION]. You're my bitch.

Do farmers always get bored in the winter?

Is there a difference between sweet potatoes and yams in the grocery store other than their color? I heard once that the yams are really just orange sweet potatoes and we don't get real yams here in Utah. Is that true?

Should people be getting so upset about Monsanto? Haven't crops been genetically modified for years? Is something different going on now?

How did you know I really wanted to ask a farmer questions?

How many cow vaginas have you had your hands in? Or is it too soon the relationship for "that" discussion?

Should people be getting so upset about Monsanto? Haven't crops been genetically modified for years? Is something different going on now?

People are upset with Monsanto because of some ethical issues, and a Tom of misinformation on what a GMO is, how they work, and the safety of them.

GMO (I prefer genetically engineered) have been around for over 20 years.

There have been no poisoning involved in GMO foods, no allergies created from them, and no recorded cancers coming from them. In 20+ years of usage.

Can most crops be GMO or is it a select few things that currently are?

I've been buying a lot of chick peas lately and they say non-gmo, but I have a suspicion there isn't even a gmo option for chick peas.

Sent from my SM-J700P using JazzFanz mobile app

Can most crops be GMO or is it a select few things that currently are?

I've been buying a lot of chick peas lately and they say non-gmo, but I have a suspicion there isn't even a gmo option for chick peas.

Sent from my SM-J700P using JazzFanz mobile app

Great question, thank you. The answer to both your questions is yes.

Can most crops be GMO? Absolutely. Are they? No.

There are 8 GMO crops grown in the USA. Corn, cotton, soybeans, sugar beets, papayas, canola, alfalfa and squash. What you're seeing is marketing, specifically fear marketing. Your chickpeas aren't GMO, we don't have those in production. I've seen GMO free bread (I'm looking at you Dave's Murder bread), I'll give you a quick hint, all bread is gmo free.

You've probably seen chicken that says antibiotic free, or no antibiotics added. Right? I'm sure most of you have seen that. Well, funny thing about that...the only antibiotic label on chicken that is required is if antibiotics have been added! Why is that? We are not allowed to add antibiotics unless if they need them for health issues. So really, all of your chicken is antibiotic free.