What's new

Ask A Farmer

I grow the best alternative to rice there is.

I grow a superfood.

Why is it a superfood?

Because it can produce both vodka and electricity.

Yep. It's weed.

I'd like for people to become more accepting of GMOs so that the science can progress more quickly. Strawberries the size of apples, hybrids of multiple of fruits, totally new things, etc. Been fantasizing about that since I was a kid.

Great question, thank you. The answer to both your questions is yes.

Can most crops be GMO? Absolutely. Are they? No.

There are 8 GMO crops grown in the USA. Corn, cotton, soybeans, sugar beets, papayas, canola, alfalfa and squash. What you're seeing is marketing, specifically fear marketing. Your chickpeas aren't GMO, we don't have those in production. I've seen GMO free bread (I'm looking at you Dave's Murder bread), I'll give you a quick hint, all bread is gmo free.

You've probably seen chicken that says antibiotic free, or no antibiotics added. Right? I'm sure most of you have seen that. Well, funny thing about that...the only antibiotic label on chicken that is required is if antibiotics have been added! Why is that? We are not allowed to add antibiotics unless if they need them for health issues. So really, all of your chicken is antibiotic free.

You're missing two crops on your list. Ironically, one is potatoes. Moran.

Time to hang em up.

P.S.-The other is apples.

I bought two pumpkins for 14 bucks this year. They were both small and among thousands of bigger pumpkins How much money do you make each fall?

You're missing two crops on your list. Ironically, one is potatoes. Moran.

Time to hang em up.

P.S.-The other is apples.

Pretty much nobody is growing the Innate potatoes yet.

The apples haven't been in commercial production either. They will be, but not yet. That's why I didn't include them.

Which make more money? Meat farmers or plants farmers?

There are so many variables.

By plants do you mean vegetables? Fruits? Flowers? Meats include swine, cattle, poultry...you need to be more specific.

In general, fruits tend to sell high, but they're high input as well. The amount of land you have makes a big difference. The current year and market makes a difference. I remember wheat selling for $20/bu 12 or so years ago, now it's like $6.60/bu. Some years are high, some are low. Then you get into your markets. Are you organic? Are you a seed grower? Are you selling registered cattle? Your question is really too generic to answer, sorry.

There are so many variables.

By plants do you mean vegetables? Fruits? Flowers? Meats include swine, cattle, poultry...you need to be more specific.

In general, fruits tend to sell high, but they're high input as well. The amount of land you have makes a big difference. The current year and market makes a difference. I remember wheat selling for $20/bu 12 or so years ago, now it's like $6.60/bu. Some years are high, some are low. Then you get into your markets. Are you organic? Are you a seed grower? Are you selling registered cattle? Your question is really too generic to answer, sorry.

I dunno I guess my question is which type of farming generate the most profit with the least work/input?

I dunno I guess my question is which type of farming generate the most profit with the least work/input?

Lol.

First off, you need land. Good land is very expensive. Second, there is no cheap/easy/low work/high profit method to farming. Fruit probably has the highest profit margin, but is also high risk.

Lol.

First off, you need land. Good land is very expensive. Second, there is no cheap/easy/low work/high profit method to farming. Fruit probably has the highest profit margin, but is also high risk.

Apart from land do you need a lot of expensive machinery?

Pretty much nobody is growing the Innate potatoes yet.

The apples haven't been in commercial production either. They will be, but not yet. That's why I didn't include them.

GMO apples were to be released this fall. Maybe it just hasn't happened yet. GMO potatoes have been around since 2016 doe.

GMO apples were to be released this fall. Maybe it just hasn't happened yet. GMO potatoes have been around since 2016 doe.

I'm aware of when they were released.

AFAIK, they are not in commercial production. Companies have to be willing to buy them first.

Plus, from seed to French fry is a process that takes ~5-6 years.

I gotta say, I've learned very little from this thread.