What's new

Ask A Farmer

What's your biggest expense? Capital or labour?

Easily capital.

You figure a tractor with decent power costs ~$350-400k new, maybe $50-100k less if it's used. So that's just one tractor. Wheat combine is going to be around the same. Potato combine is around $200k. Tillage equipment will be around $50k-85k. Shop is gonna be a couple hundred thou. Storage buildings for equipment a little cheaper. Seed is expensive. Fertilizer is more expensive. And I don't get paid when I harvest. I get paid when my customer receives their product, which often isn't until months after harvest.

Fun business.

Easily capital.

You figure a tractor with decent power costs ~$350-400k new, maybe $50-100k less if it's used. So that's just one tractor. Wheat combine is going to be around the same. Potato combine is around $200k. Tillage equipment will be around $50k-85k. Shop is gonna be a couple hundred thou. Storage buildings for equipment a little cheaper. Seed is expensive. Fertilizer is more expensive. And I don't get paid when I harvest. I get paid when my customer receives their product, which often isn't until months after harvest.

Fun business.

Thanks man, really great insight.

It's winter, I'm bored. Ask me anything about farming, crops, gardening, GMO's, organic and even some cattle.

You may also ask me anything you want about anything. Except you [MENTION=40]Siro[/MENTION]. You're my bitch.
To grow tomatoes in Utah:

1. Do you need a greenhouse?
2. When do you have to plant the seeds?
3. When do you get the first tomatoes?
4. When do you have to empty the greenhouse and throw plants to the compost pile?

Near Tallinn, Estonia:
1. Yes, greenhouse is MUST to grow tomatoes.
2. We usually plant the seeds at the end of March; when the plant height is about 1 cm, then we put them each of them to separate plastic bucket (size of beer glass). When the height of the plant is about 50cm, then we replant them in the greenhouse, usually in the middle of may.
3. We get first tomatoes at the end of july.
4. We remove last tomatoes in the beginning of september; most of them are green and we keep them in a box under the bed. Usually we eat the last tomatoes at the end of october.

Do you have a farmer tan?

And whatever happened to that poster we had - - Farmer.Tan?

No recent posts but the profile indicates recent activity yesterday at 10:32 PM.

To grow tomatoes in Utah:

1. Do you need a greenhouse?
2. When do you have to plant the seeds?
3. When do you get the first tomatoes?
4. When do you have to empty the greenhouse and throw plants to the compost pile?

Near Tallinn, Estonia:
1. Yes, greenhouse is MUST to grow tomatoes.
2. We usually plant the seeds at the end of March; when the plant height is about 1 cm, then we put them each of them to separate plastic bucket (size of beer glass). When the height of the plant is about 50cm, then we replant them in the greenhouse, usually in the middle of may.
3. We get first tomatoes at the end of july.
4. We remove last tomatoes in the beginning of september; most of them are green and we keep them in a box under the bed. Usually we eat the last tomatoes at the end of october.

I don't live in Utah, so it really depends on growing degree days and climate.

I live in a colder climate, and we typically either transplant or start them inside under grow lights and then transplant. I put red weed mat around mine (they work!) and maybe a wall-o-water for easy irrigation. Otherwise drip irrigation works well too.

Do you have a farmer tan?

And whatever happened to that poster we had - - Farmer.Tan?

No recent posts but the profile indicates recent activity yesterday at 10:32 PM.

I typically farm with no shirt, so no tan. Enjoy that image.

For real though, I wear a thin long sleeve all summer. More comfortable for me, less sun damage. So my hands will be tanned dark, the rest of me pale. It's a good look.

Thanks man, really great insight.

That doesn't mean labor is cheap, it's just cheaper.

Farming equipment is ridiculously priced. One tractor and combine costs as much as a nice house, and I can't get by with only one tractor. Luckily, the main cost is up front. After that, you're just trading on and paying the difference, like wish cars. We also can get operator loans, since farmers don't get a monthly salary. You pretty much get paid once or twice a year, depending on what you're growing.

Some farms are able to run without taking out an operator loan, but it is difficult and rare.

Out of curiosity, how many of you have heard of hormones in cattle/beef and are concerned, or worried, or confused about what that means?

That doesn't mean labor is cheap, it's just cheaper.

Farming equipment is ridiculously priced. One tractor and combine costs as much as a nice house, and I can't get by with only one tractor. Luckily, the main cost is up front. After that, you're just trading on and paying the difference, like wish cars. We also can get operator loans, since farmers don't get a monthly salary. You pretty much get paid once or twice a year, depending on what you're growing.

Some farms are able to run without taking out an operator loan, but it is difficult and rare.

Yeah that is generally the opposite in logistics where, aside from the building cost, labor is my #1 cost.

Out of curiosity, how many of you have heard of hormones in cattle/beef and are concerned, or worried, or confused about what that means?

I am pretty sure living creatures have hormones, so there will be hormones generally in meat. I know the hubbub is growth hormones to get more meat per cow, but I have read so many mixed reports I am inclined to not worry about it.

I am pretty sure living creatures have hormones, so there will be hormones generally in meat. I know the hubbub is growth hormones to get more meat per cow, but I have read so many mixed reports I am inclined to not worry about it.

Good response!

I'm referring to people adding hormones, which is primarily estrogen, to cattle.

I typically farm with no shirt, so no tan. Enjoy that image.

For real though, I wear a thin long sleeve all summer. More comfortable for me, less sun damage. So my hands will be tanned dark, the rest of me pale. It's a good look.

Ya, I've always wanted dark hands on a pale body. So jealous!