What's new

Awesome quotes from America's founding father's

Dr. Jones

In pursuit of #9
Contributor
and a few from later.. what are some of your favorites?

This one's awesome:
"I have always thought that all men should be free; but if any should be slaves, it should first be those who desire it for themselves, and secondly those who desire it for others. Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on them personally."
~ Abraham Lincoln

"The money powers prey upon the nation in times of peace and conspire against it in times of adversity. The banking powers are more despotic than a monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, more selfish than bureaucracy. They denounce as public enemies all who question their methods or throw light upon their crimes. I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the bankers in the rear. Of the two, the one at my rear is my greatest foe."
~ Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln, while a great president, is not a founding father.

But he ought to be included because of all the awesome stuff he did for the country, like killing all those vampires and stuff.

In a serious vein, I recognize that Lincoln was not even born in 1776, but he ought to be recognized for establishing (or founding) the Feds as the soverign over the States. It was a major change from what the founders had envisioned and has impacted all of US history since.

Last edited:
and a few from later.. what are some of your favorites?

This one's awesome:
"I have always thought that all men should be free; but if any should be slaves, it should first be those who desire it for themselves, and secondly those who desire it for others. Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on them personally."
~ Abraham Lincoln

LOL I laughed when I read the title and then proceeded to read two quotes from Lincoln.

You twin dummies.

But he ought to be included because of all the awesome stuff he did for the country, like killing all those vampires and stuff.

Very valid point. Damn vampires...

OK PKM, Mellow convinced me. Lincoln should be counted as a founding father. Only fitting for the man that saved America from the Vampire apocalypse.

I still fail to see any quotes from any founding fathers. Not a single one.

It was meant to be a place others contribute to .. but here ya' go, princess.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
John Adams

Love this one. Dude doesn't just make good beer!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Benjamin Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Benjamin Franklin

I've heard or read that first part many times, but the well-armed lamb part is new. Thats funny.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

"A fondness for power is implanted, in most men, and it is natural to abuse it, when acquired."

"Foreign influence is truly the Grecian horse to a republic. We cannot be too careful to exclude its influence."

"Here sir, the people govern."

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

"There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism."

All by Alexander Hamilton.

"A fondness for power is implanted, in most men, and it is natural to abuse it, when acquired."

"Foreign influence is truly the Grecian horse to a republic. We cannot be too careful to exclude its influence."

"Here sir, the people govern."

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

"There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism."

All by Alexander Hamilton.

Not a founding father by any means but one of my all time favorite quotes:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our prescence automatically liberates others."

I have heard it attributed to Mandela but I do not think that is correct. I actually think it was a woman but I cannot remember her name...