What's new

Awesome quotes from America's founding father's

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson

Abraham Lincoln, while a great president, is not a founding father.
LOL
and a few from later.. what are some of your favorites?

This one's awesome:
"I have always thought that all men should be free; but if any should be slaves, it should first be those who desire it for themselves, and secondly those who desire it for others. Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on them personally."
~ Abraham Lincoln
Good'ne.

"Start Favors!"
George Washington
I read and my lungs laughed.

It's just perfect how many of them are about how power rots the morality of men and women.

~with the possible exceptions of course.

little matter will move a party, but it must be something great that moves a nation.
-Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1792

A nation under a well regulated government, should permit none to remain uninstructed. It is monarchical and aristocratical government only that requires ignorance for its support.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
-Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 1, December 19, 1776

But with respect to future debt; would it not be wise and just for that nation to declare in the constitution they are forming that neither the legislature, nor the nation itself can validly contract more debt, than they may pay within their own age, or within the term of 19 years.
-Thomas Jefferson, September 6, 1789

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."
- Patrick Henry

"It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains."
- Patrick Henry

little matter will move a party, but it must be something great that moves a nation.

A nation under a well regulated government, should permit none to remain uninstructed. It is monarchical and aristocratical government only that requires ignorance for its support.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
-Thomas Paine, The American Crisis, No. 1, December 19, 1776

But with respect to future debt; would it not be wise and just for that nation to declare in the constitution they are forming that neither the legislature, nor the nation itself can validly contract more debt, than they may pay within their own age, or within the term of 19 years.
-Thomas Jefferson, September 6, 1789

Wow, I love that one.

'If you wanna be with me.. baby there's a price to pay, Im a geenie in a bottle, you gotta rub me the right way"

-Christina Aguilera

"Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step over the ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never! -- All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Bonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a Thousand years. At what point, then, is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."
Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing is a greater stranger to my breast, or a sin that my soul more abhors, than that black and detestable one, ingratitude."

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

Both by George Washington

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ.For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here."
-Patrick Henry

"Power over a man's subsistence is power over his will."
-Alexander Hamilton

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one!"
-Alexander Hamilton

"A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one!"
-Alexander Hamilton

I really like this one personally!... it is only like 16 words i think, but it has so much truth and power. maybe its just me though.

But he ought to be included because of all the awesome stuff he did for the country, like killing all those vampires and stuff.

abe-lincoln-vampire-hunter.jpg

Thanks Linc.