What's new

Bell to be Amnestied

Forget amnestying Raja, I say amnesty Harris. His contract is bigger, and he will probably get signed for a lot more by another team. (if another team signs the player it lowers the Jazz's financial obligation to the player.)

KOC talked about the amnesty clause this morning on 1280 and Raja was not mentioned at all. He said he would potentially use the amnesty if a trade required it, thats all.

This thread is nothing more than a streaming pile of ********.

I made a thread asking why did not they amnesty him or Harris at the start of last season, and I was ridiculed beyond belief. Now everyone is celebrating which leaves me puzzled.
I don't remember this but to amnesty Harris is ridiculous IMO and I would guess the only reason people didn't want to amnesty Bell last year was hold out hope he could be part of a trade (as a throw in) but lots has happened since then and the exit interview sealed Bell's fate and now that the Jazz are up against it, it now makes a lot more sense.

Last edited:
KOC talked about the amnesty clause this morning on 1280 and Raja was not mentioned at all. He said he would potentially use the amnesty if a trade required it, thats all.

This thread is nothing more than a streaming pile of ********.

Or KOC is misleading and playing close to the chest. That is his style.

Who knows...

Jefferson is the worst expiring contract. And someone would place a bid to get him, too.

And waiving Bell has everything to do with the Millers willing to burn $3.something million after eating $6.something million before this.

I meant in terms of the amnesty clause: Bell is the best candidate. Obviously Jefferson has the worst contract but no way the Jazz amnesty him.

Thing about Amnestying a player is that you still pay them unless someone else signs them. (then you pay the difference but it doesn't go against the cap) The only reason to amnesty a player is either to lower their salary cap or to get a bad apple out of the locker room. I guess Bell might be the bad apple, but since the Jazz aren't into the luxury tax, there is no motivation to get rid of assets who could fill in in case of injury.

Waste of an amnesty because nobody will pick him up, meaning we foot the bill. Should just waive him and eat the cost (which I what we'll do anyway). That being said, at least they're doing something about it.

I'll be stunned if Bell is amnestied more than 5 minutes before the window closes. Now that the draft is over and there is more roster clarity, the dealmaking ramps up going into FA. Bell is still a trade chip even if only filler to make contracts work.

This is another reason it would be crazy to use the TPE on Mo (unless we got something else back). Having that TPE available when teams are actively shopping and dealing with their cap issues should be a priority.

Forget amnestying Raja, I say amnesty Harris. His contract is bigger, and he will probably get signed for a lot more by another team. (if another team signs the player it lowers the Jazz's financial obligation to the player.)

Any team signing Harris after would be able to get him for cheap, knowing the Jazz would be paying him. Harris would probably be fine with that, especially if he could go to the Heat or a team in the running to go deep in the playoffs. Basically the Jazz would be getting rid of Harris, and paying him to play on a different team. Harris is still a good point guard.

Bell on the other hand not only sucks, but is a problem in the locker room, and with the coaching staff. Yes the dollars saved would be less, but the benefit of getting rid of him would help the Jazz. The Jazz would lose out twice if they amnestied Harris.

That's just the way I see it and business. It's not like Harris is my favorite player on the team.... He might be my 6th or 7th favorite... maybe.

Waste of an amnesty because nobody will pick him up, meaning we foot the bill. Should just waive him and eat the cost (which I what we'll do anyway). That being said, at least they're doing something about it.

The amnesty will be gone if we don't use it. At least if we use it on Bell, there is a chance of someone picking him up and us getting some benefit. If nobody picks him up I am assuming it would be the same as waiving him. Gotta play the odds.

Hasn't happened yet, there is a time frame when it can happen. Locke was talking on radio at about 9:45 after the jazz's pick. I think he believed no-one was listening and it would somehow stay a secret.

He said it, the other talking heads questioned him, and Locke doubled down saying that he had it from a source that it will happen, but Locke wasn't supposed to talk about it.

Anyone else listening can confirm. He also went on to talk about someone handing him 4 names of possible picks for jazz at #47 an hour before the draft, 2 were gone Murphy was the higher of the remaining, he also mentioned other moves that had been discussed but was told he would no longer have a job if it went out on twitter.

FWIW, the KOC interview at about 10:30 last night was great. Kevin was more open than I've heard him be in a long time. He discussed trying to move into first round, he discussed several drafted players, he talked about teams calling him. KOC really hates David Locke.

Locke says a lot of stuff, and it's always "insider information", but it doesn't always work out. He gets our hopes up and they get crushed because he jumps the gun. Wasn't he saying something about Bell or CJ being traded before the deadline, saying it was a done deal, and it never happened? I don't count on any of his "sure" things.

imager.php

No way the Jazz amensty Bell, he would probably retire or play for the min and the Jazz could simply waive him for a lot less money.