What's new

Bell to be Amnestied

No way the Jazz amensty Bell, he would probably retire or play for the min and the Jazz could simply waive him for a lot less money.
They still have to pay him if they waive him. No team is going to pick up his contract if he's waived, but some might make a low bid for him, saving the Jazz a bit of cash.

I don't remember this but to amnesty Harris is ridiculous IMO and I would guess the only reason people didn't want to amnesty Bell last year was hold out hope he could be part of a trade (as a throw in) but lots has happened since then and the exit interview sealed Bell's fate and now that the Jazz are up against it, it now makes a lot more sense.
When the topic came up last year, KOC mentioned they were not in favor of paying a guy not to play. I think that may have changed given Bell's toxic attitude. Obviously, Harris and Jefferson have value as players and expiring contracts. Raja's contract would be valuable as a throw-in, but IMO, the Jazz simply cannot bring him to training camp. He'll demand minutes.

I'm sure KOC has explored trade options for Raja and there is ZERO interest. Wouldn't surprise me if Raja is amnestied and no one picks him up.

When the topic came up last year, KOC mentioned they were not in favor of paying a guy not to play. I think that may have changed given Bell's toxic attitude. Obviously, Harris and Jefferson have value as players and expiring contracts. Raja's contract would be valuable as a throw-in, but IMO, the Jazz simply cannot bring him to training camp. He'll demand minutes.

I'm sure KOC has explored trade options for Raja and there is ZERO interest. Wouldn't surprise me if Raja is amnestied and no one picks him up.

Raja is going to seriously regret his attitude. He's a guy that could have had some kind of immediate future in coaching, but you don't piss in the pool like this without consequences. KOC is a powerful and respected guy in the league... what do you think he'll say if somebody contacts him about Raja?

Locke says a lot of stuff, and it's always "insider information", but it doesn't always work out. He gets our hopes up and they get crushed because he jumps the gun. Wasn't he saying something about Bell or CJ being traded before the deadline, saying it was a done deal, and it never happened? I don't count on any of his "sure" things.
I'm not a huge Locke fan, but I think a major deal with NJ fell apart when Howard chose to remain in Orlando. NJ needed to clear some salary. Raja and CJ would have been Plan "B's" for some teams. I'm not surprised no one wanted a washed up vet, nor a shooter who can't make shots. Best case for those guys would have been as insurance on a playoff team in return for a late second. Or perhaps CJ could have gone to NJ to be reunited with his BFF, Deron. I'm not going to cry over not getting a 2nd-rounder. There are undrafted players who can be signed that are just as good - or just as much if a longshot - however you want to look at it.

I'm not a huge Locke fan, but I think a major deal with NJ fell apart when Howard chose to remain in Orlando. NJ needed to clear some salary. Raja and CJ would have been Plan "B's" for some teams. I'm not surprised no one wanted a washed up vet, nor a shooter who can't make shots. Best case for those guys would have been as insurance on a playoff team in return for a late second. Or perhaps CJ could have gone to NJ to be reunited with his BFF, Deron. I'm not going to cry over not getting a 2nd-rounder. There are undrafted players who can be signed that are just as good - or just as much if a longshot - however you want to look at it.

I hear you, I know there are reasons it didn't work. I also know Locke said it was a sure thing when it wasn't. I just don't trust him when he says anything anymore. In my opinion, anything he says is 50/50 from now on. I don't count on it.

I haven't really seen Bell have a bad attitude yet in the locker-room. Yes, he and Corbin seem to have some awkward tension, but I think Raja is professional enough not to be a distraction. He still talks to players and seems to have his head up. He wants to be traded, but it's not like he is crying about it or going to the media constantly.

I haven't really seen Bell have a bad attitude yet in the locker-room. Yes, he and Corbin seem to have some awkward tension, but I think Raja is professional enough not to be a distraction. He still talks to players and seems to have his head up. He wants to be traded, but it's not like he is crying about it or going to the media constantly.

oh, cool. I wasn't aware you'd spent so much time in the locker room.

If KOC makes a point of spatting in your face during an interview, then you can be sure you've been a tard.

While I don't think Belll should be in a Jazz uniform next season (and think it was a mistake to sign him again at all), wasting a one-time only amnesty on an expiring $3m salary doesn't make sense and seems like a waster. Would make much more sense to just waive him or trade him for a future pick or a Euro that will never come over.

KOC, please trade him for the rights to Emir Preldzic. Thank you.

Is there any way to trade him for one of the undrafted guys and leaving him in the undrafted pool?

While I don't think Belll should be in a Jazz uniform next season (and think it was a mistake to sign him again at all), wasting a one-time only amnesty on an expiring $3m salary doesn't make sense and seems like a waster. Would make much more sense to just waive him or trade him for a future pick or a Euro that will never come over.

Do people realize that after next season, the only players that we'll be able to amnesty are Hayward and Favors?

I hear you, I know there are reasons it didn't work. I also know Locke said it was a sure thing when it wasn't. I just don't trust him when he says anything anymore. In my opinion, anything he says is 50/50 from now on. I don't count on it.
Well, if no one waited to report something until it was truly a "sure thing" we'd get all our information from ESPN, like we did with the Deron deal. Nothing is a LOCKE (pun intended) even when it goes to the league office (case in point the original trades submitted involving Gasol and CP3). The NBA has the ability to reject or make teams redo a trade.

Locke is probably as reliable as any other source out there. And what makes his job doubly hard are the tight lips in the Jazz FO. KOC is hands-down the most secretive GM in the league. And I have a TON of respect for Kevin becuase of that. It's frustrating as a fan, but I don't think deals should be disclosed until there's been an agreement in principal between the teams. And KOC even had the chutzpah to get PO'd with Greg over Miller's disclosure of the Jefferson deal before it was finalized. You gotta love that, baby!

I'll be stunned if Bell is amnestied more than 5 minutes before the window closes. Now that the draft is over and there is more roster clarity, the dealmaking ramps up going into FA. Bell is still a trade chip even if only filler to make contracts work.

Exactly this. Even if the current plan is to amnesty Bell, KOC is not going to do it until they've exhausted all possible trade scenarios. He sure as hell not going to publicly talk about it.

Sarcasm? They have bold, italics and underline, when will somebody invent a sarcasm style?

When you go to work, and one of your coworkers is knowingly talking to your boss and asking why you are getting certain jobs and saying he/she should be getting them... but is nice to you to your face... how would your work "locker room" be? Would there be some tension or some negative feelings in there?
I would think there would be, whether you talk about it or not. If somebody is trying to take time or work away from me, and they are clearly not better than I am I would not like it even a little bit.

You don't have to see it to know it's there, there are signs. Him whining to the media, his sneaky little comments to the media about things. His statements about the coach and the intentions behind them. His saying things about being very willing to be traded.

You have to pay better attention Cyrone if you don't think Raja is not at least a distraction in the locker room. There is talking like a professional, and then there is being a professional. Raja talks the talk (appearance), but I don't think he walks the walk.

/2cents

bell has definitely been a distraction.

and i honestly expected the amnesty news at some point. as others have pointed out, the other expiring contracts at least have some trade value, both now and into the season. bell is someone the jazz have to be rid of before the start of camp.

that said, i'd be surprised if they used the amnesty clause on him NOW. there's a lot of offseason left and, even though i doubt anybody is interested in paying bell 3.3M, you might as well keep that card in your hand and only discard it when you have to. maybe when teams start striking out on their plan A, B and C guys you have someone willing to give you a second. or maybe you have a trade and the numbers don't quite work out so you need a little bit of a throw-in. or if those things don't happen, THEN you amensty his ***, but you lose absolutely nothing by waiting until later in the offseason to do it.

bell is someone the jazz have to be rid of before the start of camp.

that said, i'd be surprised if they used the amnesty clause on him NOW. there's a lot of offseason left and, even though i doubt anybody is interested in paying bell 3.3M, you might as well keep that card in your hand and only discard it when you have to. maybe when teams start striking out on their plan A, B and C guys you have someone willing to give you a second. or maybe you have a trade and the numbers don't quite work out so you need a little bit of a throw-in. or if those things don't happen, THEN you amensty his ***, but you lose absolutely nothing by waiting until later in the offseason to do it.

I agree with all of that.

When you go to work, and one of your coworkers is knowingly talking to your boss and asking why you are getting certain jobs and saying he/she should be getting them... but is nice to you to your face... how would your work "locker room" be? Would there be some tension or some negative feelings in there?
I would think there would be, whether you talk about it or not. If somebody is trying to take time or work away from me, and they are clearly not better than I am I would not like it even a little bit.

You don't have to see it to know it's there, there are signs. Him whining to the media, his sneaky little comments to the media about things. His statements about the coach and the intentions behind them. His saying things about being very willing to be traded.

You have to pay better attention Cyrone if you don't think Raja is not at least a distraction in the locker room. There is talking like a professional, and then there is being a professional. Raja talks the talk (appearance), but I don't think he walks the walk.

/2cents

From what I understand Raja is completely on board with the young guys playing, he was just upset because he never felt like Ty communicated it with him clearly what his role would be and just cold shouldered him. I don't think Raja takes it out on his teammates, because many of them have said what influence he has on them (watch Burks try to play defense like Bell by getting up in opponents). It's more of a Worker/Boss conflict than it seems to be a Worker/Worker conflict (which is what your analogy sounded like).

By the way, I'm all for amnestying Bell. I will be surprised if the Jazz do it though.