What's new

Bell's Comments After Being Benched

Mr. McGibblets

Raja is a bit upset with Coach and the "1 on 1" Jazz offense

https://www.nba.com/jazz/features/locked_on_jazz.html

Raja sounds off on benching and reveals frustration about offense
March 15th, 2011

Raja Bell came off the bench last night for the first time in a non-injury situation. Talking to Tyrone Corbin it sounded as though this was a permanent move in the Jazz starting line-up.

It is a move that Raja Bell endorses, ““I think it should be a permanent role, CJ plays a lot better in that starting role.” However, Raja was not pleased with the transaction of him went down, ““Do I wish he had a better conversation with me, yeah, but you can’t control that.”

Raja didn’t participate in shoot around in the morning so Tyrone Corbin was under the assumption that Raja would not be able to play. At shoot around CJ took Raja’s spot in the line-up. When Raja came to Coach Corbin and told him he was going to play, Corbin informed him that he was going to leave the line-up the same.

It was a brief conversation, one that Raja wishes had more teeth to it, “it wouldn’t change it, the end result is the same,you do your job, as a player I have had a pretty long career, as a man I wish you would come to me as a man and chop it up with me, instead of having it be as brief as it was.”

Honestly, I am not sure what Raja was looking for from Coach Corbin and when there was time for this conversation.

Raja was clear that “it was not personal” and he is “going to let it ride.” He summed it up with. “I don’t feel disrespected; I just wished it had been handled differently.” “I don’t mind coming off the bench.”

The above comments by Raja will get the headlines, what struck me where the veiled shots Raja took at the Jazz offense in his comments today.

“The way he we play is a lot of 1 on 1 a lot of guys just trying to create for themselves and that is not my forte.”

“The way we play CJ is better fit.”

What does Raja mean by these comments? I don’t think of the Utah Jazz as a 1 on 1 team and when I see CJ coming off curls and Raja coming off pin downs I don’t think of them as a 1 on 1 team. Jefferson has added a level of 1 on 1 play from the block and Deron was a score first point guard in contrast to Steve Nash.

To me those are the most telling comments, though they will not make the news. This expresses some of the visible frustration we have seen from Raja on the floor all season. Raja has had a disappointing and frustrating season and for the first time he may have shared why he believes he has had a struggle in his return to the Utah Jazz.

From David Locke (Locked On Sports via nba.com):

Raja Bell came off the bench last night for the first time in a non-injury situation. Talking to Tyrone Corbin it sounded as though this was a permanent move in the Jazz starting line-up.

It is a move that Raja Bell endorses, ““I think it should be a permanent role, CJ plays a lot better in that starting role.” However, Raja was not pleased with the transaction of him went down, ““Do I wish he had a better conversation with me, yeah, but you can’t control that.”

Raja didn’t participate in shoot around in the morning so Tyrone Corbin was under the assumption that Raja would not be able to play. At shoot around CJ took Raja’s spot in the line-up. When Raja came to Coach Corbin and told him he was going to play, Corbin informed him that he was going to leave the line-up the same.

It was a brief conversation, one that Raja wishes had more teeth to it, “it wouldn’t change it, the end result is the same,you do your job, as a player I have had a pretty long career, as a man I wish you would come to me as a man and chop it up with me, instead of having it be as brief as it was.”

Honestly, I am not sure what Raja was looking for from Coach Corbin and when there was time for this conversation.

Raja was clear that “it was not personal” and he is “going to let it ride.” He summed it up with. “I don’t feel disrespected; I just wished it had been handled differently.” “I don’t mind coming off the bench.”

The above comments by Raja will get the headlines, what struck me where the veiled shots Raja took at the Jazz offense in his comments today.

“The way he we play is a lot of 1 on 1 a lot of guys just trying to create for themselves and that is not my forte.”

“The way we play CJ is better fit.”

What does Raja mean by these comments? I don’t think of the Utah Jazz as a 1 on 1 team and when I see CJ coming off curls and Raja coming off pin downs I don’t think of them as a 1 on 1 team. Jefferson has added a level of 1 on 1 play from the block and Deron was a score first point guard in contrast to Steve Nash.

To me those are the most telling comments, though they will not make the news. This expresses some of the visible frustration we have seen from Raja on the floor all season. Raja has had a disappointing and frustrating season and for the first time he may have shared why he believes he has had a struggle in his return to the Utah Jazz.

I am quite shocked that he said what he said... We got off to a great start and he is complaining about the style? And from what I watched, the ball movement was great in the first quarter with more cuts and curls that led to layups and dunks by Harris and Favors... Bell himself was even benefited with a few open looks.

We need to move on without him next season if we can. If we do get Harrison Barnes, I don't want Bell here to take minutes away from him.

I've always thought Bell was a good team player. Sorry the team hasn't had a great year for whatever the reasons.
Good luck to all the players and coaches.

Raja Bell is a veteran and should be allowed to say these things...

Wrong. Raja is a veteran who is struggling and should either keep these comments behind doors or shut the **** up. I prefer that he shut the **** up and work on his jump shot.

Bye Bye Raja. Ask Deron howit works out when a player takes shots at the Jazz through the media.

If his goal was to get benched and then traded, well done.

If he just wanted to vent he should have created an account on jazzfanz and complained Anonymously like the rest of us.

Smell just feels hurt he got moved to the bench and nobody gave a second thought to his feelings.

I really hope we can get rid of him this offseason. Corbin should walk right up and smack him, ask him if that had enough teeth to it.

Wrong. Raja is a veteran who is struggling and should either keep these comments behind doors or shut the **** up. I prefer that he shut the **** up and work on his jump shot.

Trolled. I expect better of your Greggy.

Raja is 4 more bricks and an injured hang nail from having nothing to do all day but watch soaps and hit golf balls. He should go spoon with Kevin O'Conner to gain some emotional comfort. What a complete tool bag.

Trolled. I expect better of your Greggy.

Bell is Harpring 2.0. Another past his prime, non-effective veteran that the Jazz decided to give welfare payments to against the back drop of "veteran leadership" and "toughness." In return, we get the "30 minutes come hell or high water and a steady diet of curl jumpers." Corbin should get Coach of the Year for euthanizing this horse while it is still laying on the track.

Bell is Harpring 2.0. Another past his prime, non-effective veteran that the Jazz decided to give welfare payments to against the back drop of "veteran leadership" and "toughness." In return, we get the "30 minutes come hell or high water and a steady diet of curl jumpers." Corbin should get Coach of the Year for euthanizing this horse while it is still laying on the track.

Don't jinx this. Outside the aberration in Minny, he's still averaging 34.2 minutes over his last 5. And Ty still thinks we need whatever he does to close games like last night when we went into the basketball equivalent of the prevent for 7 minutes and nearly gave the game away. When he's down to 20 minutes a night for 3 straight games I'll allow myself to start believing that it's finally happening.

Don't jinx this. Outside the aberration in Minny, he's still averaging 34.2 minutes over his last 5. And Ty still thinks we need whatever he does to close games like last night when we went into the basketball equivalent of the prevent for 7 minutes and nearly gave the game away. When he's down to 20 minutes a night for 3 straight games I'll allow myself to start believing that it's finally happening.

The last several game I have seen Raja making lots of little plays. Tipping the ball to the teammate. Running down loose balls. Helping a little bit on defense. His offense has still been terrible. But if he is giving us effort we can still use him on the floor.

I wish somebody would ask Raja if he even knows how lucky he is.

Of all qualifying NBA 2 guards, his PER ranks 72 of 76 (8.74). The four guys looking up at him are Rasual Butler, Xavier Henry, Keith Bogans, and Joey Graham. The guy he's chasing is Quentin Richardson. Those 5 guys average about 15 minutes and, aside from Henry the rookie, none of their teams would even notice if they stopped coming to work.

The next guy close to Bell's minutes on the crap end of the PER scale is Thabo (10.06, 66.) Of course, he was 2nd Team All NBA Defense last year. And the average minutes from 50 on the list to 76 is about 20. Yet somehow the Jazz, Ty, God, or whoever is responsible to sit down and "chop" this up for him. He can't connect these dots himself apparently.

I wish somebody would ask Raja if he even knows how lucky he is.

Of all qualifying NBA 2 guards, his PER ranks 72 of 76 (8.74). The four guys looking up at him are Rasual Butler, Xavier Henry, Keith Bogans, and Joey Graham. The guy he's chasing is Quentin Richardson. Those 5 guys average about 15 minutes and, aside from Henry the rookie, none of their teams would even notice if they stopped coming to work.

The next guy close to Bell's minutes on the crap end of the PER scale is Thabo (10.06, 66.) Of course, he was 2nd Team All NBA Defense last year. And the average minutes from 50 on the list to 76 is about 20. Yet somehow the Jazz, Ty, God, or whoever is responsible to sit down and "chop" this up for him. He can't connect these dots himself apparently.

Is there a team with worse SGs than the Jazz? Any team at all?

I wonder where Raja ranks among starting SGs in PER.

I absolutely loathe CJ Miles, but if this keeps Raja on the bench and getting 20MPG max, the team will be better for it.