What's new

Ben's take on ROY

Confidence or arrogance?

Douchiness... could see this a bit at all star game stuff. Hope DM stays classy. It’s a close race and Ben not acknowledging that Donovan is in it won’t help him with voters.

I think there are a couple guy that don’t love DM and that is fine.

Either guy is more than worthy of the award acknowledging that you have a worthy opponent doesn’t make you weak... he either is lying or isn’t self aware... not sure which is worse.

He gets some endorsement bonus for ROY so I get going for the award. Ain’t gotta be a dick though.

According to our man downunder he had a bit of a rep for being up himself growing up so it wouldn't surprise me that he's a bit of a rich kid douchebag. But as Aussies he's our douchebag so we'll put up with it.

I'm really torn about this, i want Donovan to get his acknowledgement but it will also be huge for basketball in our country if Ben wins it.

Check out DM’s back and forth with Ingles on Twitter. DM throws it back to Ingles dunk.

If it was a likeable contest DM>>>>>> Ben Simmons.

Also all the nba guys that keep saying wait until Ben gets a shot he’ll be unstoppable... it’s like saying wait until DM grows 6 inches he’ll be unstoppable. Dude will always be a bad shooter... may improve and go from a complete non shooter to bad but guys that bad at shooting generally don’t get there.

According to our man downunder he had a bit of a rep for being up himself growing up so it wouldn't surprise me that he's a bit of a rich kid douchebag. But as Aussies he's our douchebag so we'll put up with it.

I'm really torn about this, i want Donovan to get his acknowledgement but it will also be huge for basketball in our country if Ben wins it.

The thing is, he's a great player and his comment can be taken in the context of someone who exhibits no-compromise competitiveness. His skill backs up his rhetoric. I love Mitchell's attitude more, and Mitchell is no less a competitor on the court, though.

The thing is, he's a great player and his comment can be taken in the context of someone who exhibits no-compromise competitiveness. His skill backs up his rhetoric. I love Mitchell's attitude more, and Mitchell is no less a competitor on the court, though.

No **** he's a great player, if he plays for us at Tokyo we are real chance at winning gold. 25 years ive been a fan of basketball never did i dream that we could beat team USA. On our day now we could.

I was OK with him winning the ROY until now. He is so full of himself. So glad we have Donovan over Simmons. That me first attitude reminds me of Crymelo ;) I think the ROY should be able to make at least more than a 15 ft jump shot, therefor, Mitchell is hands down the ROY!!!

I kind of hope Ben wins... just to fire up DM just a little more.

I am just annoyed that Ben fed into the worst part of the ROY award race... the other fanbase or experts totally dismissing the other guy or fanbase. Both are transcendent and their roles are so different can't say it's "clear cut" or "100%" and dismiss the other guy.

Our system doesn't let guys pick up gawdy assist numbers. I think Ben is definitely a better passer, but the assist numbers don't tell the whole story though. DM doesn't handle the ball as much and has value off ball. Ben does not have the same value so it is prudent to put the ball in his hands a lot.

Both are good defenders... Ben probably gets the edge there but it isn't by much. I think Ben wins it but it will/should be close.

Utah / Philly would be a fun finals series since I think there will be a lot of animosity between the teams over the ROY result.

Sixers fans are also getting rabid about Embiid for DPOY lol

The whole Miami Heat team picked their winners. Scroll to Udonis Haslem's comment... enough said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article208288044.html

"Rookie of the Year came down to Philadelphia’s Ben Simmons and Utah’s Donovan Mitchell in a hotly contested debate with Simmons narrowly edging Mitchell when players decided not to split the award between both Simmons and Mitchell."

If I had to bet, I'd bet that this is representative of what will happen.

To his credit, that's the personality of Philadelphia sports. Dr. J, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson. Not like any of these dudes where known for being modest.