What's new

Ben's take on ROY

I kind of hope Ben wins... just to fire up DM just a little more.

I am just annoyed that Ben fed into the worst part of the ROY award race... the other fanbase or experts totally dismissing the other guy or fanbase. Both are transcendent and their roles are so different can't say it's "clear cut" or "100%" and dismiss the other guy.

Our system doesn't let guys pick up gawdy assist numbers. I think Ben is definitely a better passer, but the assist numbers don't tell the whole story though. DM doesn't handle the ball as much and has value off ball. Ben does not have the same value so it is prudent to put the ball in his hands a lot.

Both are good defenders... Ben probably gets the edge there but it isn't by much. I think Ben wins it but it will/should be close.

DM isn't like Gobert who feasts off snubs like this. He simply feasts and enjoys getting better no matter what. Gobert does as well but it's clearly a different mindset.

That full court pass and then the behind the back assist to Joe... All Star next season.

According to our man downunder he had a bit of a rep for being up himself growing up so it wouldn't surprise me that he's a bit of a rich kid douchebag. But as Aussies he's our douchebag so we'll put up with it.

I'm really torn about this, i want Donovan to get his acknowledgement but it will also be huge for basketball in our country if Ben wins it.

Wouldn't Joe and Dante getting a ring be better? It's a honest question, I'm not aware of Ben's hype level in KoalaLand.

To his credit, that's the personality of Philadelphia sports. Dr. J, Moses Malone, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson. Not like any of these dudes where known for being modest.

Cmon now, Carson Wentz is one of the most likable guys in the NFL right now, and the city loves him

I think Donovan has a chance because Simmons had a redshirt year, and I think there will be voters that factor that in to their decision.

DM isn't like Gobert who feasts off snubs like this. He simply feasts and enjoys getting better no matter what. Gobert does as well but it's clearly a different mindset.

That full court pass and then the behind the back assist to Joe... All Star next season.

Jazz should have 2 all stars next season.

I've said all season that Ben Simmons will win. He won it by the time 10 games were gone in the season. Donovan should win it, but he's just not going to.

Simmons can say what he wants I guess....but he didn’t make an argument for himself. The arguments there but his best argument in this interview was “people who know the game know”.....okay. So the people who don’t agree with you are stupid and don’t know the game.....cause they don’t agree with you.

The worst part of the interview/most disrespectful to DM, was when he shook his head and laughed when Haynes said it was down to a 2 guy ROY race. Like he had to laugh to think anyone else could even be anywhere near consideration with him.

It is possible to be confident without throwing shade at another guy. DM mentioned Simmons great year and was complimentary of him. Simmons was dismissive and laughed at the fact DM as even a possibility of being anywhere near him. Not to mention when he said he’s a “scorer, pass, rebound kind of guy” and DM is a “score kinda guy”. He’s completely dismissive and disrespectful of DM. The guys attitude and personality is my least favorite part about Simmons.

Quin is gonna get snubbed for COY.
Gobert is gonna get snubbed for DPOY.
And DM will get snubbed for ROY.

I’ve already made my peace with it.

Ben will win it because he's doing some pretty special things and he's on the east coast. No, he's not really a rookie but the facts are the facts on what they consider one to be.

I don't have a problem with him saying he should win it and being confident; downplaying the rest of the rookies is a douchey move.

It doesn't matter anyway; many of the greats weren't ROY so it's not the springboard to greatness.

I kind of hope Ben wins... just to fire up DM just a little more.

I am just annoyed that Ben fed into the worst part of the ROY award race... the other fanbase or experts totally dismissing the other guy or fanbase. Both are transcendent and their roles are so different can't say it's "clear cut" or "100%" and dismiss the other guy.

Our system doesn't let guys pick up gawdy assist numbers. I think Ben is definitely a better passer, but the assist numbers don't tell the whole story though. DM doesn't handle the ball as much and has value off ball. Ben does not have the same value so it is prudent to put the ball in his hands a lot.

Both are good defenders... Ben probably gets the edge there but it isn't by much. I think Ben wins it but it will/should be close.
This idea that being snubbed fires players up is based on what? Has Donovan said anything to substantiate that idea?

Rooting for your player to get snubbed to fire them up is kind of silly imo.

Ben was the anointed one going into the contest. From the start, it was his award to lose. He didnt do that. DM IS more deserving though.