What's new

Ben's take on ROY

How is he more deserving?
You could make an argument that Donovan has had to carry a much heavier level of responsibility and has flourished despite a significantly tougher level of competition (its worth mentioning Donovan's clutchness as well).

I think Simmons has pulled away, but he's still a turd.

Ben will win it because he's doing some pretty special things and he's on the east coast. No, he's not really a rookie but the facts are the facts on what they consider one to be.

I don't have a problem with him saying he should win it and being confident; downplaying the rest of the rookies is a douchey move.

It doesn't matter anyway; many of the greats weren't ROY so it's not the springboard to greatness.
To say he is 100% ROY is fine. But it is not confidence. I think the refusal to acknowledge Donovan Mitchell, who is having a historically great rookie year, springs from his insecurity. He has to mask his fear of not winning the award by thumping his chest and shouting down any objections. How he handles that insecurity could become his Achilles heel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

Reactions: Tak
You could make an argument that Donovan has had to carry a much heavier level of responsibility and has flourished despite a significantly tougher level of competition (its worth mentioning Donovan's clutchness as well).

I think Simmons has pulled away, but he's still a turd.
Yea there is a case to be made for Donovan. He’s been amazing. But to say he’s snubbed if Simmons wins is nuts. Simmons has had an all time great statistical season for a rookie.

Cmon now, Carson Wentz is one of the most likable guys in the NFL right now, and the city loves him

I think Donovan has a chance because Simmons had a redshirt year, and I think there will be voters that factor that in to their decision.
The QB is different. QB's are expected to be a certain kind of personality.

I'm talking about their basketball.

hope their playoff opponent uses hack-a-simmons strategy. he will miss everything.

Wouldn't Joe and Dante getting a ring be better? It's a honest question, I'm not aware of Ben's hype level in KoalaLand.

No way on earth.

Australia care about national success 1000 times more than team success that happens to have Aussies contributing. Indeed, Delly, Bogut, Baynes and Mills have already been part of winning teams.

Actually, Simmons' arrogance/confidence is pretty 'unAustralian' - but I think the public will give him a pass because they want to have a guy with attitude that can hold his own against the rest of the world. His ego doesn't lead to selfish on court player as well - which helps the way he is perceived.

My take on Ben Simmons comments is that it is part PR but really an indication of how he feels.
He would think that DM is a talented overhyped volume shooter/scorer who doesn't contribute to winning like he does. He constantly mentions his diversified impact on games - and I think he feels disrespected by the media in general. The thing that I bet would annoy him is that everyone always stresses how he is the 2nd best player on his team, and almost no one in the media says the same thing about DM.

I also think people don't realize that he projects to be better than Embiid.

Ben's going to win it. I think it's pretty much a done deal. His overall stats are just too massive to go along with his advanced stats. Plus he has this amazing stretch with Embiid injured.

Simmons can say what he wants I guess....but he didn’t make an argument for himself. The arguments there but his best argument in this interview was “people who know the game know”.....okay. So the people who don’t agree with you are stupid and don’t know the game.....cause they don’t agree with you.

The worst part of the interview/most disrespectful to DM, was when he shook his head and laughed when Haynes said it was down to a 2 guy ROY race. Like he had to laugh to think anyone else could even be anywhere near consideration with him.

It is possible to be confident without throwing shade at another guy. DM mentioned Simmons great year and was complimentary of him. Simmons was dismissive and laughed at the fact DM as even a possibility of being anywhere near him. Not to mention when he said he’s a “scorer, pass, rebound kind of guy” and DM is a “score kinda guy”. He’s completely dismissive and disrespectful of DM. The guys attitude and personality is my least favorite part about Simmons.

Nah his free throws are the worst part

Rookie of the year is a prestigious award. Both guys are deserving - no matter what Simmons thinks.

With that said. . . all I care about is that Donovan has a shot at championships at some point. I’d much rather see him lose the ROY award, but then have team success like Jordan, LeBron or Kobe, than have him winning rookie of the year be a defining moment for his career.

DM isn't like Gobert who feasts off snubs like this. He simply feasts and enjoys getting better no matter what. Gobert does as well but it's clearly a different mindset.

That full court pass and then the behind the back assist to Joe... All Star next season.

You sure about that... dude likes tweets that hate on him. No one is on Rudy’s level and I think both guys would work no matter what, but having a little extra motivation ain’t a bad thing imo.

Ben was the anointed one going into the contest. From the start, it was his award to lose. He didnt do that. DM IS more deserving though.

This is what's weird though. Remember at the start of the year everyone was just talking about Ball and Dennis Smith Jnr and Tatum.

People had forgotten about Simmons and Mitchell was under the radar.

How is he more deserving?

They have both put up historic numbers. Any point guard that has zero 3pt attempts in a season is a big hole in his game for me at least. Plus he's not even a true rookie. His was out his rookie season due to injury.

Pure douche.

Anyone that's researched Simmons for 5 minutes know he's a ****ing turd.

C'mon man he gets his 25 year old singstress lady to play online games with him. That is genius.

(And this is coming from someone who hasn't played an online/pc/any sort of game for 15 years)

Simmons can say what he wants I guess....but he didn’t make an argument for himself. The arguments there but his best argument in this interview was “people who know the game know”.....okay. So the people who don’t agree with you are stupid and don’t know the game.....cause they don’t agree with you.

The worst part of the interview/most disrespectful to DM, was when he shook his head and laughed when Haynes said it was down to a 2 guy ROY race. Like he had to laugh to think anyone else could even be anywhere near consideration with him.

It is possible to be confident without throwing shade at another guy. DM mentioned Simmons great year and was complimentary of him. Simmons was dismissive and laughed at the fact DM as even a possibility of being anywhere near him. Not to mention when he said he’s a “scorer, pass, rebound kind of guy” and DM is a “score kinda guy”. He’s completely dismissive and disrespectful of DM. The guys attitude and personality is my least favorite part about Simmons.

The laugh and just going out of the way to not say “dms good too” or “other guys have had good years” type of qualifier.

Smart people know and look at the stats... kinda shows he’s done some evaluation there right? So no one else caught your eye in your evaluation huh?

DM played the question basically perfectly... talked about his team, ultimate goal, and long term. No one talks about lebrons rookie of the year... he’s about championships.

Scoring also matters... it seems like people put more of an altruistic premium on other things but the team that scores the most wins.