What's new

Ben's take on ROY

This idea that being snubbed fires players up is based on what? Has Donovan said anything to substantiate that idea?

Rooting for your player to get snubbed to fire them up is kind of silly imo.

It is more about being content... my guess is he works his *** off either way but with success can sometimes come complacency.

If Mitchell played for Philly would they still be #3?

If Simmons played for Utah would they still be #4?
Utah would not be #4 with Simmons. He can't carry the offensive load that was needed of Mitchell and can't space the court. I don't see him being a good fit with Rubio either. Simmons can't play off the ball well. He also can't carry a team in the 4th.

As far as Philly good I'm not as sure they would be quite as good either. Philly has two good scorers and that would make Mitchell 3rd option on offense or even 4th like Simmons is a lot of the time. Mitchell also has struggled being the primary ball handler and can't distribute quite as well as Simmons.

So I think both teams would be worse but it would be a bigger drop off for the Jazz than the 76ers. Jazz might not even be in the playoffs with Simmons. 76ers probably drop a couple spots in the East.

So Simmons is going to get it, and he deserves it at least as much as Donovan Mitchell. It will come to him for being a second-season player and talking about it non-stop.

Seems Mitchell doesn't give a F about it, sincerely. Simmons will have felt the need to campaign for an individual award and that will be his prize.

Reactions: RJF
Utah would not be #4 with Simmons. He can't carry the offensive load that was needed of Mitchell and can't space the court. I don't see him being a good fit with Rubio either. Simmons can't play off the ball well. He also can't carry a team in the 4th.

As far as Philly good I'm not as sure they would be quite as good either. Philly has two good scorers and that would make Mitchell 3rd option on offense or even 4th like Simmons is a lot of the time. Mitchell also has struggled being the primary ball handler and can't distribute quite as well as Simmons.

So I think both teams would be worse but it would be a bigger drop off for the Jazz than the 76ers. Jazz might not even be in the playoffs with Simmons. 76ers probably drop a couple spots in the East.

Doubt we trade for Rubio if we had Simmons.

It's an unfair question because our team construct would have been different.

Mitchell is a very good player, and an exceptional rookie. Ben Simmons is still better at this point. Both are great young players.

Doubt we trade for Rubio if we had Simmons.

It's an unfair question because our team construct would have been different.

Mitchell is a very good player, and an exceptional rookie. Ben Simmons is still better at this point. Both are great young players.

Probably. But that's not what the award is for.

Somebody explain the Simmons Aussie thing to me... I know he was born in Australia, but he went to high school in America and doesn't have an accent. Is this like Shawn Bradley being German?

Confidence or arrogance?

Who cares what Ben Simmons thinks?

Most professional athletes are somewhere between supremely confident (bordering on arrogant) and complete ******* douche bags.

What I want to know, is who does Joe Ingles have as his ROY?

He has ties to both. Plus, his opinion means more than all the talking heads put together.

Somebody explain the Simmons Aussie thing to me... I know he was born in Australia, but he went to high school in America and doesn't have an accent. Is this like Shawn Bradley being German?

He was like 12-13 when he moved over. He seems to love him some Aussie culture. Big AFL (Australian rules) fan etc. His mum is 100% Aussie and his Dad worked professionally here before staying on with his family.

Pretty sure he is a gunho Aussie.

If you listen to Simmons, you definitely can hear parts where his Aussie accent is still there. I bet if he lived in Australia for a month, it would polish itself out.

I haven't watched Philly much this year. I know that they've gotten on a hot streak the last few weeks because they've played about 12 of 14 games against EC Tank Battalion teams. How is Philly in the 4th quarter of close games? It seems like Simmons would be a disaster at that point in the game and something that will probably manifest itself quickly in the playoffs.

Simmons is a forward in every way except for his ball handling and passing, and he's basically Shaq or Dwight Howard with his free throw and 3 point shooting. I wonder if it's easier to describe him as a better ball handling and passing Blake Griffin with a significantly worse jump shot and FT shooting. There was a small bit of speculation that Griffin would try to be a bit of a point forward with the Clippers at the beginning of this season then people realized that Doc's kid was on the Clippers' roster. Griffin has averaged a career high in assists since he was traded to Detroit. With the massive gaps in Simmons' offensive game, I don't think you can compare him to LeBron. LeBron was never a complete zero at the FT line and with his jump shot.

Simmons is confident and it's good for him. But he is too arrogant. As Donovan said, we don't care about Roy. Most Important is the Team, playoff, championship...
Give the Roy to Simmons, we don't care about Roy, we won't cry like him and belittle everybody for this award. Give it to him, it will may be his only award of his career, hoo wait with probably the mvp of the Oceania cup =)

Sent from my SM-A520F using JazzFanz mobile app

I just don't think that we really realise what we have with Donovan! This kid is just perfect. He can score, create, defend, shoot, mature at 21, confident, pass, run, jump, dunk, good mentality, humble, hard worker, he is passionate, good speaker, smart...
Guys I told u, we don't dream! This kid will write a part of the jazz history for sure and for nothing I will change him for another players.

Sent from my SM-A520F using JazzFanz mobile app

Zeke, Shaq, Pierce and Barkley know a few things about basketball (at least as fellow players), they specifically say DM as rookie of the year. Zeke, really, really likes him.

Simmons will probably win the award but DM certainly deserves it just as much. Personally, Simmons comes across as a douche bag without acknowledging the accomplishments of DM and others. I would vote for DM simply because he is a true rookie. DM displayed his professionalism during his interview both acknowledging others and saying other goals where more important. Just so glad DM is on the Jazz.

Another point, DM in the LA game with almost a triple double could be part of the future if he gets to handle the ball more. He was incredible in the game and shows that he has Westbrook potential. I also think Donovan is more liked and respected by fellow players than Simmons.