What's new

Beverley to Lakers for THT and Stanley Johnson

What you doing in Phoenix?

Filiberto’s is usually pretty good though what did you get?
I mean there are like 200 Filiberto's in Arizona. They pop up like mattress stores. The key to getting a good one is to see if they are playing telenovelas in the dining room. If yes, that one is a keeper.

I think this is where a lot of the discussion in this thread is stemming from: How does our merciless robot of an executive, Danny Ainge, make this deal at this time?

I think the most simple, straightforward, and probable answer is that he believes in THT way more than those of us criticizing the deal. There are other more creative/more complicated possibilities though.
If DL had made the trade I'd have no other reason to doubt.

Reading the Vecenie article yesterday on the athletic that was supposed to be a big positive I just kept thinking THT is really gonna be the tank commander. It read like this to me...

"THT is super intriguing... I mean wingspan and age... but also he will murder you in the halfcourt cuz no one guards him and hes a completely ****** shooter... also he is slow footed and gets blown by on defense... but sometimes he makes a cool pass... I mean not super cool but kinda cool. He gets to good spots on the floor but he's not good when he gets there. He also has to have the ball a lot to be functional... so basically he's complete boom or bust."

He's going to be like Dante around here... in that some will talk about his amazing potential and some super high IQ pass he threw while ignoring that he went 1/8 from three and was a -30 on the court. Should be fun.

Reading the Vecenie article yesterday on the athletic that was supposed to be a big positive I just kept thinking THT is really gonna be the tank commander. It read like this to me...

"THT is super intriguing... I mean wingspan and age... but also he will murder you in the halfcourt cuz no one guards him and hes a completely ****** shooter... also he is slow footed and gets blown by on defense... but sometimes he makes a cool pass... I mean not super cool but kinda cool. He gets to good spots on the floor but he's not good when he gets there. He also has to have the ball a lot to be functional... so basically he's complete boom or bust."

He's going to be like Dante around here... in that some will talk about his amazing potential and some super high IQ pass he threw while ignoring that he went 1/8 from three and was a -30 on the court. Should be fun.
The slander of THT's name reminds me of when Clarkson was traded here. He's a 22 year old kid coming out of one of the largest, harshest media market/fanbases in all of sports.

I think going from that to a laid back environment like Utah will help his game pan out better. LA, imo was stunting his growth.

I really have no doubts that he will pan out here in Utah, and a lot of his doubters will pretend the hate they had on his game was inexistent. I've seen enough of him over two years to know he's got a high ceiling.

biggest problem with any optimism surrounding THT is that he hasn't gotten better in 3 years in the nba. he's literally coming off his worst season in the league this past year. when you enter the league at age 19, you should get better from 19 to 22. that hasn't happened - if anything he's regressed. that's a really bad sign.

I skimmed it but that’s what I felt like I was reading. I was reading it to drink some kool-aid and all I came away with was a sinking feeling that my belief that he doesn’t play NBA basketball was more correct than before.

If we're trying to tank it was a good trade...there will be picks to get next year also. He'll be a trade asset or if he's really good, leave and 11 million off the books. If we're going full tank, plan on sucking for years....that's how it works. And for those of us still following the Jazz in 10 years, after the "process" doesn't work for us, we may well look back at the "tank" as not a great plan, we'll see :)
I am wondering the same thing. Risky move to trade all stars for picks but hopefully we win the lotto.

I skimmed it but that’s what I felt like I was reading. I was reading it to drink some kool-aid and all I came away with was a sinking feeling that my belief that he doesn’t play NBA basketball was more correct than before.
I’m more hopeful for NAW tbh cuz he has shown he can actually shoot at an acceptable level. If Danny’s can plan is to find a guy that you can give volume too that will really help the team lose then I get it. There is still a little hype so it might be justified. If he magically figured out how to shoot and you look like a genius that is a bonus.

Getting seriously worse in year three is a huge red flag. He was just atrocious last year.
I keep hearing he can’t shoot and only goes right… I wonder if scouting reports caught on to him quick and he’s yet to counter (or maybe can’t).

I’m fine taking a flier on the guy since I definitely think he will help us lose as he explores the space. Likely not a great use of 11M in space next year. As long as we don’t add much more to the cap we should still have everything available to us… will give ‘em a pass here.

biggest problem with any optimism surrounding THT is that he hasn't gotten better in 3 years in the nba. he's literally coming off his worst season in the league this past year. when you enter the league at age 19, you should get better from 19 to 22. that hasn't happened - if anything he's regressed. that's a really bad sign.
He also started the season coming off hand surgery...

And he played last year with Russel Westbrook....that will mess up most folks productivity. Not that his first two years were too promising.

He also started the season coming off hand surgery...
Didn't know that... I will give him a small pass but he still has to make a mega jump in shooting or he's hosed. None of the other stuff is good enough at his current shooting level.

The slander of THT's name reminds me of when Clarkson was traded here. He's a 22 year old kid coming out of one of the largest, harshest media market/fanbases in all of sports.

I think going from that to a laid back environment like Utah will help his game pan out better. LA, imo was stunting his growth.

I really have no doubts that he will pan out here in Utah, and a lot of his doubters will pretend the hate they had on his game was inexistent. I've seen enough of him over two years to know he's got a high ceiling.
I like the trade, funny how everyone here liked him till he got traded here. Lol. I mean what were we going to do with Pat Bev as a team that were expected to be real bad after we trade Don. And I don’t think the jazz had much leverage with him seeing as Bev isn’t in the plans and no one believed he was a part of our long term plans. If they could’ve gotten a first for him we would’ve gotten it. Getting a 21 yr old with some upside for a 34 yr old player who’s defense isn’t what it was.

That's fine... I also buy some of the not wanting Bev to get too vocal stuff so do it now. I buy that maybe they like him more than I do and didn't think it mattered if they had Bev available.

I also see a world where they have a bigger deal essentially agreed to and executed this part early to give the guys some certainty or because the front offices wanted to commit each other to something now. It's less likely but I guess I am not as rigid as some who think its lol worthy.

You might need to break out the crayons, otherwise the mentally challenged may never catch on.

It's actually not that uncommon for teams to make a bigger trade and then break it down into multiple, smaller trades that may or may not be executed at the same time, for various reasons. Whether or not that is the case here, we will have to wait and see. It's possible they were just trying to get Beverly out of their hair but it's equally possible that this is a small part of a bigger trade to follow. One thing for sure, DA was not in a hurry to grab THT before somebody else did. That's not a thing.

That Laker team was a **** show in every way possible. Let's see what harmony in False God's Country brings.

And he played last year with Russel Westbrook....that will mess up most folks productivity. Not that his first two years were too promising.
That entire team had issues. And young guys playing with LBJ isn’t easy, and his style won’t mesh with James at all, plus that wasn’t a great three point shooting team all together. Utah will be a better fit for him. Question is how long it takes to progress?

That entire team had issues. And young guys playing with LBJ isn’t easy, and his style won’t mesh with James at all, plus that wasn’t a great three point shooting team all together. Utah will be a better fit for him. Question is how long it takes to progress?
Hopefully just long enough to flip him for a decent asset later.