What's new

Big News Out of BYU??

Status
Not open for further replies.
how is that any different than Wyoming, CSU, New Mexico, UNLV, and San Diego State every year?

Every major team schedules cream puff games. BYU is not obligated to 5 of them anymore. ESPN won't show their games is they are playing NMSU or someone else horrible, factor in the ESPN appeal they should be able to get decent opponents.

lol at colton. Was a douche.

jazzman and salty bring up very solid issues, yet they're "haters". Colton can't think of anything intelligent to say so he resorts to the "My dad can kick your dad's ***" reply.

My take on this...I think BYU did the right thing. You have to believe that there's some "wink, wink" deal between BYU and the Big 12, and possibly TCU as well. I think this might be what Patterson was talking about. The way is see it...BYU loads up on money while they're in a waiting period before joining the Big 12. Honestly...the notion that BYU has a harder road to a BCS game now is a moot point. BYU wasn't going to a BCS bowl game in the MWC within the next 2-3 years anyway so they might as well take the bigger paycheck before joining the Big 12.

according to the trib, they already have a 6-game deal in place with Notre Dame. presumably, both army and navy will be happy to play the Y. it turns out the Navy coach is LDS.

the trib is also reporting that ALL byu home games will be broadcast by ESPN for the next EIGHT years.

how are they not better off with this new arrangement than they were under the MWC regime?

The MWC TV deal was awful, and I'm certainly not saying they're not better off staying in the MWC. What I'm saying is that the MWC provided a clearer path to the BCS- escpecially if BYU stayed and they added Houston to get to 12 teams. Financially, they're easily better off, but as far as being in the thick of the BCS, they are not.

The Notre Dame thing is big, especially because they can play them later in the year. However, I'd still be willing to bet the overall strenght of their 2nd half schedules is going to be very, very weak. I think that's a problem for BYU because that means most of their "big" games are going to be played back-to-back early in the season. That's not good if you're a Cougar fan.

how is that any different than Wyoming, CSU, New Mexico, UNLV, and San Diego State every year?

They're worse, much worse. New Mexico St. and San Jose St. are probably the two worst FBS programs in the country and I'm not really exaggerating. I would know as a Fresno fan. There's actually been rumblings over the years that SJSU will have to drop the football program eventually, especially with the current state of the WAC. Idaho literally has the smallest football stadium in the country (it's a joke really, it looks like an airport hanger). There's a reason why Fresno and Nevada chose to the leave the WAC the first chance they got. The only decent team BYU is getting out of that WAC contract is Hawaii. As I said, hopefully it's not a long term thing for BYU (if the WAC survives that is, which is seriously in doubt at this point).

Let's see it happen first. I'm skeptical it's the future of college football, especially considering that BYU would be in the Big 12 in a heartbeat if offered. I think super-conferences are more likely. I hope neither becomes the norm, so we don't have an unbreakable barrier of have and have-nots in college football (even to a worse extent that is now).

I'm with you, I don't like any of this. Regardless of wherever BYU ends up in the future, I'm always going to be behind a playoff system.

Every major team schedules cream puff games. BYU is not obligated to 5 of them anymore. ESPN won't show their games is they are playing NMSU or someone else horrible, factor in the ESPN appeal they should be able to get decent opponents.

My understanding is that ESPN "family of networks" will be broadcasting several of the the games against WAC opponents, including NMSU. BYU will play 5 WAC teams in 2011 and 4 WAC teams in 2012. So they're just obligated to a new set of schools, for 2011-2012 that is.

They're worse, much worse. New Mexico St. and San Jose St. are probably the two worst FBS programs in the country and I'm not really exaggerating. I would know as a Fresno fan. There's actually been rumblings over the years that SJSU will have to drop the football program eventually, especially with the current state of the WAC. Idaho literally has the smallest football stadium in the country (it's a joke really, it looks like an airport hanger). There's a reason why Fresno and Nevada chose to the leave the WAC the first chance they got. The only decent team BYU is getting out of that WAC contract is Hawaii. As I said, hopefully it's not a long term thing for BYU (if the WAC survives that is, which is seriously in doubt at this point).

the 2011 schedule will include Texas, Boise, Oregon St, Utah, USU, and Idaho (8-5 in 2009). they're going to need a few cupcake games to balance those games.

the 2011 schedule will include Texas, Boise, Oregon St, Utah, USU, and Idaho (8-5 in 2009). they're going to need a few cupcake games to balance those games.

Make no mistake, home games against USU and Idaho are cupcake games too (or at least they should be). This is a significant portion of the schedule for two seasons, not just a meaningless "few". I'm not trying to be a pessimist at all here, I just think the schedule for the next two seasons overall is significantly weaker than what they've had in the MWC. Hopefully it gets better once they establish themselves as an independent...but only time will tell.

We get it haters. Everything little brother does is gold and everything BYU does is dirt. We understand what haterism is. Keep focusing on BYU though. If given the choice you would pick BYU losing over Utah winning. We know what you are and that's how it will always be. Get your bigotry on!

And now word that BYU has Notre Dame locked up for several years. Is anyone surprised that things keep getting better and better for the Y? Not me.

We get it haters. Everything little brother does is gold and everything BYU does is dirt. We understand what haterism is. Keep focusing on BYU though. If given the choice you would pick BYU losing over Utah winning. We know what you are and that's how it will always be. Get your bigotry on!

And now word that BYU has Notre Dame locked up for several years. Is anyone surprised that things keep getting better and better for the Y? Not me.

Do you even look at what everbody else is posting before you bust out with crap like this? Also, could you please explain this exact portion of your quote:

Get your bigotry on!

Just what exactly do you mean by that? How does hating BYU make somebody like me, or say Salty a bigot? As a Dolphin fan, I loathe the New York Jets just as much as BYU. Does hating the Jets make me a bigot too, or are you seriously stupid enough to suggest that because I hate BYU I must also hate Mormons?

I'm interested to see if you can actually give me an actual answer to this without hiding behind snide comments and insults.

ESPN credits BYU in helping them become a leader in broadcasting college football.

Representing ESPN at the press conference, vice president of programming and acquisition Dave Brown said, “It is a tremendous day ... to be back in business with BYU. We’ve had a great relationship with BYU over the years.”

According to Brown, BYU’s success in football in the 1980s and 1990s “... helped put ESPN in the map.”

Games like BYU’s win over Miami in 1990 “... cemented our position as a college football network.”

lol at colton. Was a douche.

jazzman and salty bring up very solid issues, yet they're "haters". Colton can't think of anything intelligent to say so he resorts to the "My dad can kick your dad's ***" reply.

What the heck??

BYU Football gets to play the likes of Texas, ND, Oklahoma, etc every year while Utah gets to play Washington State and Washington. Congrats on that one guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.