What's new

*Breaking News* Jazz called up Millsap, Murry from DLeague

And we reportedly are going to waive Murry and not Christopher.

Our coaching staff and FO seem to like Christopher...

Millsap is 6'6 210 SG, 27 yrs old
Been in the D-Leaugue since 10-11 He only played one game last season. Does anybody know why?
averages 15-20 ppg, 33-34% 3pt, 41-44 fg%, ~75% ft, 5-8 rb (has improved every year), 2-5 as (improved every year), 3-4 tov (worse every year), ~2 st
https://stats.nbadleague.com/playerCareer.html?PlayerID=202407&PerMode=PerGame

Shot chart shows he is decent on the corner 3, poor from midrange, good around the basket.
https://stats.nbadleague.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=202407&Season=2014-15&zone-mode=zone

Millsap will be on a 10 day contract. Forget this dating thing, we might as well marry the guy and give him the starting 2 job. What else do we have to lose. Sign him for the rest of the year DL.

Can't we get some sort of injury exception for Alec and Christopher?

https://www.nba.com/2014/news/11/29/wolves-sign-jeff-adrien.ap/

The T-Wolves got one just a month ago. I'd be interested in seeing what the requirements are for getting a roster exception.

Keep in mind that exceptions are only necessary to operate above the cap. Utah is about 4 million under, while Alec is getting paid 3.2 million, so we don't need an exception to replace him. It's not a situation where we can replace him and still keep our cap room, so we have to choose.

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to replace a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (it can also be granted in the event of a player's death). This exception is granted by the league, based on an application from the team and a determination by an NBA-designated physician that the player is substantially more likely than not to be unable to play through the following June 15.

If this exception is granted, the team can acquire one player via free agent signing, trade or wavier claim, to replace the disabled player:
•The team may sign a free agent for one season only, for 50% of the disabled player's salary or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.
•The team may trade for a player in the last season of his contract only (including any option years)4, who is making no more than 50% plus $100,000 of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception plus $100,000, whichever is less.
•The team may claim a player on waivers who is in the last season of his contract only (including any option years), who is making no more than 50% of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.

Teams can apply for this exception from July 1 through January 15, and cannot apply after January 15. Once granted, the exception expires when a player is acquired, when the disabled player is traded or returns to the team, or on March 10 of that season, whichever comes first. This exception is granted on a season-by-season basis -- if the player will also be out the following season, the team needs to apply for this exception again the following season.

This exception can only be granted to the team for which the player was playing when his injury or illness was known, or reasonably should have become known. A team cannot trade for an injured player and subsequently apply for a Disabled Player exception for that player.

If a team's application for a disabled player exception is denied, the team must wait 90 days before submitting another request related to the same player, and then only for a new injury or aggravation of the same injury. Whether the application was approved or denied, the team can apply again (including for the same injury) the following season.

If the disabled player comes back sooner than expected he may be activated immediately, and the replacement player is not affected.

Don't confuse the Disabled Player exception with the salary cap relief teams sometimes receive after losing a player to a career-ending injury or death (see question number 63). The Disabled Player exception allows a team to acquire a replacement player. The salary cap relief removes a contract from the team's books.
https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26

There is another injury exception that allows teams to exceed the 15 player roster in the event that 4 players are injured badly enough that they are expected to miss at least 2-3 weeks at the same time. An independent doctor oversees the application. With Burks out for the year, Christopher expected to miss several weeks, Hood still dealing with his plantar facitis, if they have another significant injury, they can apply for the hardship exemption. It's only to get an extra body until an injured player comes back. The players have to all miss 3 consecutive games before they can even ask for one AND they lose the roster spot after the first player to get healthy returns to the lineup.

Depending on the state of Enes Kanter's ankle injury, the Jazz might want to consider using it to grab another PG for a look-see and then decide if they want to keep Millsap, Christopher or the new guy once Hood or Kanter gets better. It's just a temporary way to add a body when dealing with multiple injuries. If Kanter is going to be out a bit, they might want to try a guy out for awhile and see if he's worth keeping for the whole season.

Not sure if this has been said anywhere, but the contract is just a 10-day.

If this doesn't work out with Millsap, we should sign SCOTTY HOPSON. He is balling for Sioux Falls.

There is another injury exception that allows teams to exceed the 15 player roster in the event that 4 players are injured badly enough that they are expected to miss at least 2-3 weeks at the same time. An independent doctor oversees the application. With Burks out for the year, Christopher expected to miss several weeks, Hood still dealing with his plantar facitis, if they have another significant injury, they can apply for the hardship exemption. It's only to get an extra body until an injured player comes back. The players have to all miss 3 consecutive games before they can even ask for one AND they lose the roster spot after the first player to get healthy returns to the lineup.

Depending on the state of Enes Kanter's ankle injury, the Jazz might want to consider using it to grab another PG for a look-see and then decide if they want to keep Millsap, Christopher or the new guy once Hood or Kanter gets better. It's just a temporary way to add a body when dealing with multiple injuries. If Kanter is going to be out a bit, they might want to try a guy out for awhile and see if he's worth keeping for the whole season.

I've heard of this before. I believe it's called the time to tank exception.

I'd like to see Seth Curry called up. We definitely need 3 point shooting and he could play next to exum as the sg.

I guess we could find a better player than Elijah Millsap in the D-League...27 years old, 0 games in Nba with an entire career in D-League.

I guess we could find a better player than Elijah Millsap in the D-League...27 years old, 0 games in Nba with an entire career in D-League.

I watched Junior Sapp play Friday night and he was impressive. I think he's improved the range on his shot. Toure Murry played for the Stampede and I just shook my head at his performance. Seemed like the guy had a serious tude and I'm glad the Jazz waived him.