What's new

Business questions

[MENTION=82]bigb[/MENTION] - I think the guy doing my other stuff quoted like $500-600 for the electrical pieces (I'd have to look). If that's something you have an interest in quoting, I'm happy to have you do it but I do live a ways away from you. PM if you want to bid it.

* Basically standard electrical in a new wall splitting a bonus room
* Re-wiring the two existing boxes to two switches from the current one
* Moving the two current boxes in the room to the center of the two rooms respectively
* Hanging three ceiling fans (two in the room mentioned and another in a bedroom) which might include "upgraded" boxes for the weight?!?
* Adding a cable and network/phone line to a wall through the attic

[MENTION=82]bigb[/MENTION] - I think the guy doing my other stuff quoted like $500-600 for the electrical pieces (I'd have to look). If that's something you have an interest in quoting, I'm happy to have you do it but I do live a ways away from you. PM if you want to bid it.

* Basically standard electrical in a new wall splitting a bonus room
* Re-wiring the two existing boxes to two switches from the current one
* Moving the two current boxes in the room to the center of the two rooms respectively
* Hanging three ceiling fans (two in the room mentioned and another in a bedroom) which might include "upgraded" boxes for the weight?!?
* Adding a cable and network/phone line to a wall through the attic
Basedd on what you're saying and me not having seen it, that price sounds like a really good one. Is this an electrician quoting it? Or a handyman (or GC) including it on the total bid?

Handyman in total bid. Sounds like I should just stick with him eh?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

Handyman in total bid. Sounds like I should just stick with him eh?

Yeah.
I could do it (and probably match his price), but if he's doing it all, I don't blame a guy for going with that.

Yeah.
I could do it (and probably match his price), but if he's doing it all, I don't blame a guy for going with that.

Well I'd rather give you the work of you want it. I can lookup the exact quote later. I think I need you to quote the third ceiling fan and the material cost on the new cable and network lines (now that I think about it, not sure that was in it - he said he'd do them but I would need to provide the materials since it was a request after the initial quote). Your call man. Probably have you come up and do it in a day when he has finished the framing and such. He said "early August". PM me or text if you have my number still.

Look up exactly what it entails/includes. Call, text, email, or PM me.

Last edited:
Just a friendly reminder about why hiring a professional is a good idea:
1d9ef32f0cd414b9e9ea0ebdb770fd22.jpg

1957d7f23cbcaffb719222d34bff728e.jpg

02a36ddb2007722d3e6badf5952776e6.jpg

These are pics of my dad's hand. He was working in a meter base Monday evening and grounded out an unfused bus bar. The resulting arc flash created these burns.

For everyone local to the SLC area, just wanted to pimp [MENTION=82]bigb[/MENTION] to you if you need work done. Guy rocked a relatively small project for me and went above and beyond. Asked him to wire a new room, hang fans, play in the attic, etc. Totally forgot to ask him to put a smoke detector in the new room and he was hanging it before I even realized I had forgotten to ask. True professional.

Sorry bigb to make you drive so far but so glad you agreed to do the work!

For everyone local to the SLC area, just wanted to pimp [MENTION=82]bigb[/MENTION] to you if you need work done. Guy rocked a relatively small project for me and went above and beyond. Asked him to wire a new room, hang fans, play in the attic, etc. Totally forgot to ask him to put a smoke detector in the new room and he was hanging it before I even realized I had forgotten to ask. True professional.

Thank you very much.
Truth be told, it's probably not much further than most of my jobs right now anyway. I just finished a basement in the Herriman foothills. Now I've got an office build out just off 12600 and Bangerter.

Mind me asking what he charged you to play in the attic?

BigB installed the outlet that I run my brew system off of. A 50a 240v gfci outlet in my garage. Very happy with his work. I had assumed the outlet would be run from my main breaker panel in my basement, but BigB ran it from the breaker just off my meter. It was a lot less wire to run but also had the benefit of not going through the 100a main breaker. Not something I thought about at the time, but when I have everything in my brew system going full throttle I consume 47.3a, which would mean that there is only 52a left for the rest of the house. I don't know if that would ever be an issue, and I'm never going to know because I've got 100a for my house and 50a for my brew system.

Thanks BigB!

Okay people. My dad got the advice to keep his business open, so I started my own company. It's called BigB Electric. I've been working with [MENTION=102]Bronco70[/MENTION] to design a logo for me. These are what we've narrowed it down to. I have my personal favorite and my wife has hers, and they may or may not be the same. My question to you all, as potential customers/consumers, is which one would you prefer? Which would draw your attention/memory the most?
BigB_5_zpsh70oxusz.jpg

I'm also wondering what the bottom right would look like if the "BIG" were done in the same solid color that the word "ELECTRIC" is in (so it looked more like the first outlet one, but in blue).

On a side note, Bronco is a great guy to work with. My wife and I went way more into it than he figured, and he's not complained about how big of a pain in the *** we've been. I'd highly recommend him to anyone.

I like the bottom left the most. It just looks the most customer-friendly. I also think the solid colour makes the business more respectable. I also like the emphasis on "Big B" makes it hard to forget and easily recognizable too.

The top 2 looks to me too much like an auto shop logo, designed to draw in young boy racers and such.

Also not a big fan of the reflective effect.. you never see that in any quality logos: Apple, McD's, Coke, etc, they all use solid colours.

Bottom left for sure.

Not a fan of the shiny, or reflective look of the others.

If just the "B" was reflective maybe that would be ok, but bottom left is the best