What's new

BYU NCAA Violations

Trout, I can assure you that I have only kweefed outta my dick once. It was after a long night of eating some potent chili. I was very gassy and my b-hole was otherwise occupied by a foreign object. The pressure built up and it had to go somewhere, I guess.

A serious question for BYU fan: Obviously Busby was up to some unethical stuff. We just don't know how bad it is at this point. Are you even slightly upset that BYU chose to ease him into retirement as opposed to firing him? IMO, this is one of the things that could really come back to bite BYU in the *** during an NCAA investigation. I don't know the terms of his "retirement", but it stands to reason that he might be getting retirement benefits from the university.

Not a very good job of distancing yourself from the problem.

From my experience working with in a couple of different athletic programs I have couple of things to say about this:
1) It's a requirement for every athletic department to self-report a certain amount of violations every year. Basically the NCAA rule book is so vast and complicated that if you're not violating some rule at some time that looks more suspect then if you actually tried to follow all the rules.
2) I would bet a large sum of money that the same, if not worst, violations (based on what has been reported thus far) were taking place right now at every division I program in the state of Utah. Especially the University of Utah since they have a much larger budget, play in a power conference (keep up with the Jones or in this case USC, Oregon, and UCLA), and have less institutional restrictions placed upon the athletic department.
3) Predicting what punishment the NCAA will hand down, if anything, is like trying to predict where lightning will strike. The NCAA does not have a track record of following their own precedent. Where BYU is self-reporting the violations and will likely submit to their own punishment along with said report of violations will probably be the end of it. Of course if there is more to the story then what has been reported so far then of course the NCAA will come down harder. But one thing to consider is that the NCAA very recently has had a bit of a black eye when it comes to PR and student athletes (Napier saying he goes to bed hungry and the Boise State football playing being homeless and no one could do anything about it cause it was an NCAA violation among a wide range of other things). If all the guy on BYU's staff was doing was giving discounted rent and such my guess would be that the NCAA won't be extremely harsh. Now if there is more (and it possible there is especially considering how long it went on) who knows what will happen.
4) It is completely possible that Bronco Mendenhall had no idea it was going on. Consider that a head coaches has to manage a staff of at least 20 coaches and admin plus 80 to 100 student-athletes. No way it is possible that he knows everything that is going on with everyone. Also, these athletes aren't dumb. If Bronco is as much of a rule follower as he is made out to be the athletes aren't going to go telling all the coaches and such. Also it is unlikely that other players will snitch on their teammates.

A serious question for BYU fan: Obviously Busby was up to some unethical stuff. We just don't know how bad it is at this point. Are you even slightly upset that BYU chose to ease him into retirement as opposed to firing him? IMO, this is one of the things that could really come back to bite BYU in the *** during an NCAA investigation. I don't know the terms of his "retirement", but it stands to reason that he might be getting retirement benefits from the university.

I am bothered about this.

I am less bothered about this than I find it hilarious that UofU fans are so bothered about it when they don't seem to care that their AD was not fired over something even worse.
Quite interesting.

I'm going to wait until all the information is out there before I pick up stones to throw... and even then I probably won't.
I didn't cry about Hill keeping his job. I'm not going to cry about this. I will laugh at you though that get more worked up about your rival than the worse crap that happens in your own back yard.

I am bothered about this.

I am less bothered about this than I find it hilarious that UofU fans are so bothered about it when they don't seem to care that their AD was not fired over something even worse.
Quite interesting.

I'm going to wait until all the information is out there before I pick up stones to throw... and even then I probably won't.
I didn't cry about Hill keeping his job. I'm not going to cry about this. I will laugh at you though that get more worked up about your rival than the worse crap that happens in your own back yard.

This.

-Logical Ute fan. (Archie Moses)

I could not be less surprised that byu has been doing this, and would be willing to bet that they are more prone to "bend" rules that they think aren't important rules, more than almost any University.

It is a by-product of Self Righteousness, which is the very foundation of byu's program.

Shouldn't Bronco know?

I mean, I see a lot of folks asking, "who knew?"

Does it matter?

The fact of the matter is that it happened. It's BYU's job... In particular , the HC and AD to have control over their program. Any other program couldn't use the excuse of... "Well our HC and ADA didn't know" as an excuse. So why should BYU?

Depending on how severe and how long this happened for, I think BYU should be looking at loss of scholarships, bowl games, championships, and possibly even more firings.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];830977 said:
^this is coming from a guy that prolly knows lots about loopholes and the limits of NCAA's investigative tendencies ATM. So, yeah, I guess it will be interesting.

Thanks.

Yes.

This has been poorly handled. While BYU was practically giddy over announcing the suspensions of their star athletes for breaking the honor code (because it only reaffirmed their holier than thou image) this has been suspiciously dealt with privately.

They had no problem embarrassing individual athletes, because it brought positive light onto the establishment. They've worked tirelessly to keep this story from reaching the public because it would bring negative light onto the establishment.

I want sanctions and real punishments. The law is the law here. Whatever BYU is guilty of, they deserve the punishment. You cannot rob justice.

IMO, this should shake up the entire Athletic Department. One more slip up and heads should roll (bronco and Holmoe).

Now if only we could investigate the SEC to make sure they're following the rules too....

One issue that has been rumored (to my knowledge it hasn't been confirmed) has been free housing off campus so honor code breaking all the time could happen. This wouldn't surprise me. When I was at UVU just a few years ago, BYU's athletes (some lds some not) were constantly having sex and boozing it up. As long as no one said anything and they lied to their bishops, they were allowed to continue their education and playing career there.

But heaven forbid you show up with a 5:00 shadow at the testing center...

Lol@uggs...

Just can't understand why they couldnt win with such blatant and rampant cheating.
Good news is they msy now be considered for SEC.

A serious question for BYU fan: Obviously Busby was up to some unethical stuff. We just don't know how bad it is at this point. Are you even slightly upset that BYU chose to ease him into retirement as opposed to firing him?

No it doesnt bother me.

I am a fan because i enjoy watching byu bball and football (ute fans insert joke here).

I could care less about how students pay for things or who gets what... i have never been big on rules and regulations (the only time in my life that i enjoyed mlb was when mcguire, sosa, and bonds were loaded up on roids)

I have never worn a jersey of a front office/coach/athletic director/etc and dont go to games or watch them on tv to cheer on the coaches/assistant coaches/etc.

Whatever really happened in this instance didnt really have any effect on what happened on the field..... i dont think that byu benefitted from some kind of competitive advantage (they have beem consistently losing to thier rival and most other good programs and have zero bcs games)

I could care less if the allegations are true or untrue

I dont even know who this dude (the accused) is.

Dudes, this guy is not PKM. He doesn't have money. So if you're expecting crazy revelations to come through, they are just not going to be there.

Trout, I can assure you that I have only kweefed outta my dick once. It was after a long night of eating some potent chili. I was very gassy and my b-hole was otherwise occupied by a foreign object. The pressure built up and it had to go somewhere, I guess.

Boy, I'm so shocked that you're a Ute fan. Question though: is it double sided and ribbed for his pleasure?