What's new

BYU @ Utah State

How the heck did BYU beat Washington? WA just beat USC and I know USC isn't the USC of past, but they're still USC.

BYU owed Utah State a favor. And who is going to beat a service academy on 9/11? So there's two losses right there for a good cause.

BYU owed Utah State a favor. And who is going to beat a service academy on 9/11? So there's two losses right there for a good cause.

I wonder how BYU will feel after the season when the lose to Cowboys and at least two different types of Indians?

I think it's a mistake to completely write BYU off. They do have some talented players. They need a few more to be complete, but I think their fortunes are more indicative of their lack of experience.

If Bronco can get his defense together, they could be okay. Unlikely to win the conference, but they are still more talented than WYO, UNLV, NM, and CSU. If they have any competitive fire, the Utah State game will motivate them, and they will win these games. And BYU-Utah is always a horse race. Heaps just needs some time to get comfortable and gain confidence, and to show some leadership.

I think it's a mistake to completely write BYU off. They do have some talented players. They need a few more to be complete, but I think their fortunes are more indicative of their lack of experience.

If Bronco can get his defense together, they could be okay. Unlikely to win the conference, but they are still more talented than WYO, UNLV, NM, and CSU. If they have any competitive fire, the Utah State game will motivate them, and they will win these games. And BYU-Utah is always a horse race. Heaps just needs some time to get comfortable and gain confidence, and to show some leadership.

I disagree almost completely. Yes, youth is hurting BYU but I just don't see a lot of talent on the roster either. Aside from the freshman QB and possibly Deluigi, who do they have on either side of the ball that are honest to goodness difference makers? If you were being honest, you'd probably be hard pressed to name a total of 5.

Now I don't think you fire Bronco after one bad season- he's earned to be treated better than that, but BYU fans need to realize the he is completely to blame for this teams overall lack of talent. Looking at their roster, you don't see a group of 10-to-15 players that are talented enough to completely turn the ship around for BYU in 2011. Will they be better next year? Maybe, but with what may turn out to be a tougher independent schedule, you might not see any improvement record wise. Bronco should be very aggressive in recruiting the juco ranks this offseason if he hopes to stem the tide.

I disagree almost completely. Yes, youth is hurting BYU but I just don't see a lot of talent on the roster either. Aside from the freshman QB and possibly Deluigi, who do they have on either side of the ball that are honest to goodness difference makers? If you were being honest, you'd probably be hard pressed to name a total of 5.

Now I don't think you fire Bronco after one bad season- he's earned to be treated better than that, but BYU fans need to realize the he is completely to blame for this teams overall lack of talent. Looking at their roster, you don't see a group of 10-to-15 players that are talented enough to completely turn the ship around for BYU in 2011. Will they be better next year? Maybe, but with what may turn out to be a tougher independent schedule, you might not see any improvement record wise. Bronco should be very aggressive in recruiting the juco ranks this offseason if he hopes to stem the tide.

I'm not sure exactly what you're disagreeing with but hey, good on ya.

As far as BYU's current talent pool, I myself have said as much. I have commented - elsewhere, and I'm not going to expend the effort to find it - that Bronco is now tasting the fruits of his own recruiting. And he has some enormous holes in his roster.

My point was, I think that their inexperience and lack of cohesion (as a team) are their biggest obstacles right now. No, they don't have the talent to do any real damage in the conference, but they are far from the dregs. They are in the middle of an identity crisis, for sure. If they are all on the same page, they have no problems with the bottom half of the conference. But it's a big IF. And I don't see this being remedied on a short time schedule. We may be looking at Heaps as a senior before the ship is righted. But who knows?

Now I don't think you fire Bronco after one bad season-

I don't fire him for one bad season. I fire him because of his inabaility to get his team over the hump. How many games have they lost that could have proven to be a ground breaker of new territory for BYU the past couple of years? This year aside, the talent level has been on par with every team they've played the last 2-3 years but they couldn't get motivated enough to beat FSU at home. Or TCU at home. In listening to Bronco he at first takes the blame for things but over the course of a few weeks the blame gets shifted to other coaches/players. We've seen it already this year with the dual QB debacle.

Bronco would be a decent defensive coordinator but I don't want him in charge of my team. I think that now we're going to see players that Bronco has recruited and it's going to be Crowton 2.0 Bronco did well with players recruited prior to his arrival but now that they have moved on and he has to deal with what he has brought in, BYU's going to be horrific.

I'm willing to bet money that Heaps opts to go on a mission shortly after the football season ends and will eventually transfer to Washington. No way he wants to waste his NCAA career on this sinking ship.