What's new

BYU @ Utah State

Somebody on BYU must not be living well.

Living well makes no difference when your coaching is this horrendous. You could have Jesus Christ on your team and still lose with team Bronco leading you.

And no, I do not mean Jesus Christ Sanchez.

Their offense is pathetic. Even just looking at the stats - BYU averaged less than 5 yards per pass play while Utah State averaged over 14 yards per. And BYU is a pass-first offense, while Utah State isn't anything close. Their coaching really is terrible.

The only place that BYU has an excuse is on defense, because their defense is always pretty unreliable due to their rather shallow recruiting pool.

Gary Anderson and his staff out-coached BYU in every way possible. I'd be livid if I were a Cougar fan. In all seriousness, I wonder if BYU could lure Anderson away from USU. He'd be a serious upgrade over Bronco.

The funny thing is, Gary would probably tell them "NO". He'd probably rather continue to rebuild USU until a school comes calling with a good conference affiliation and no honor code restraints. Must be a banner day for Coug fans. You can't beat USU and you couldn't pry their coach away even if you wanted to.

Utah Freaking State just made you their bitch. I am SOOOOOOOO loving this.

I didn't see the game but just watched the highlights or for byu the lowlights on Sportscenter. Apparently Bronco Mendenhall's plan was to have his freshman QB pass it all game long, 55 passes for Heaps? You have no faith in your running game at all Bronco? I guess the problem was they weren't going against BYU's weak rush defense. Who apparently make Diondre Borell look like Mike Vick.

now that utah has joined a bcs conference and has landed on its feet football-wise

if byu got into real trouble as an independent...would kyle wittingham go back to save his alma mater?

I'm primarily a Ute fan, but I don't want to see BYU fall apart. In any other year, maybe this is just a bad year, but to dissolve conference affiliation and add that to an already pathetic recruiting pool could be disastrous. The Cougars got lucky when they fired Crowton and missed out on Whittingham, I'm not sure they'll be able to dodge a bullet again if they decide they're sick of Mahatma Mendenhall.

I think it's pretty safe to say that BYU's recruiting desperately needs to improve. Even Utah St looks far more athletic...

I'd acually be for BYU being a good program if they were staying in the Mountain West to make that conference stronger. But since they fled to become Independent, screw them. They can suck independently.

I didn't see the game but just watched the highlights or for byu the lowlights on Sportscenter. Apparently Bronco Mendenhall's plan was to have his freshman QB pass it all game long, 55 passes for Heaps? You have no faith in your running game at all Bronco? I guess the problem was they weren't going against BYU's weak rush defense. Who apparently make Diondre Borell look like Mike Vick.

If you watched the game the reason why BYU didn't run is because they are terrible at it. This is the worse BYU team I have seen in a long time. They may not even be .500. They have lost 4 games and they most likely will lose against TCU and Utah. So right there is six loses. I have my doubts they can beat SDS or UNLV. Their WR cannot get any separation and when they are open they drop the ball. Their overall lack of team speed just jumps off the screen when you watch them. I can't see the Cougars quickly turning this thing around soon even though I think Heap has potential and talent.

Most people do not want to admit it but the reason why Utah State is more athletic is because they have a lot more African American players. Its that simple.

BYU fans turning on Bronco already. Classic.

Already? Bronco has been on the clock for the past three years. It's time to jettison his ***!

Bronco looked okay early on, when there was a team in place, but is now tasting the fruits of his own recruiting. Aside from Heaps and (to a lesser extent) DiLuigi, he has very little to work with. Without an O-line or some semblance of defense, the effectiveness of your skill position players is greatly diminished.

Most people do not want to admit it but the reason why Utah State is more athletic is because they have a lot more African American players. Its that simple.

Except it's been proven millions of times in millions of real studies that race has nothing to do with that.

Bronco looked okay early on, when there was a team in place, but is now tasting the fruits of his own recruiting. Aside from Heaps and (to a lesser extent) DiLuigi, he has very little to work with. Without an O-line or some semblance of defense, the effectiveness of your skill position players is greatly diminished.

This.

I've watched a number of college football games this year. Especially from the WAC and MWC. BYU is easily in the lowest third in terms of athleticism than in all the teams. Seriously, just look at Utah St, Air Force, and Nevada, they were far more athletic than BYU. It wasn't even close. The gap between BYU and the rest of the big boys (TCU, Utah, Boise, etc) is even greater.

I believe it was last year Bronco said something like, "Football isn't the #1 priority here."

Bull.

Bronco isn't being paid a huge paycheck to be a seminary teacher. BYU didn't build a new indoor facility for intramural sports. They're not going Independent and screwing every other sport while irritating MWC officials to try and build up Football because Football isn't very important.

Bronco and company needed to be reminded that they're paid a lot of money to be FOOTBALL COACHES. Character building will be done at a personal level. But Bronco's job is to win games and kick Little Brothers butt and to put "the church" on the map via kicking butt in football.

This is why this season is so sweet. The arrogance to "act" as if Football wasn't important while still having a successful program was offensive I'm sure to many. Then the complacency over the last few years especially in the recruiting sector is only now (to use Bronco's language) "Manifesting itself in the play of the collective." The losses of good athletes in favor of making "political" recruits is costing them.

A nice spoonful of bitter humble pie is what's being served here. I hope that the losses continue to pile up and pressure is finally brought onto Bronco to change things up. Even during the infamous Crowton (who's probably laughing off his head right now) era, did they look so poorly. Now it's time to see what Bronco is made of. Lets see how they react.

And truly, if they don't beat San Diego, I'm not sure if they'll win another game all year.....

I just noticed that some BYU fan gave me negative rep for starting this thread. Of course they wouldn't man up and tell me who they were. I actually started this thread to talk about how big of a win this would be for Gary Anderson and Utah Sate as my initial post clearly shows. I guess that won't stop some people from being over sensitve puss-bags.