What's new

Can the Dante Exum Experiment Please End

You are WAY off on this one.
I'm one of the people who is always making excuses for why the jazz have not been as good as I think they should be. Using the injuries as the excuse.

Injuries are a very legit excuse for poor play. I just don't think that injuries are the reason for exum poor play.

Right, no 5on5 action for 15 months is not a reason at all to be rusty. Especially when all numbers indicate that ppl who succeed despite an ACL tear require another year or two until they get back to being as impactful as they were before the ACL.

Right 5on5 action for 15 months is not a reason at all to be rusty. Especially when all numbers indicate that ppl who succeed despite an ACL tear require another year or two until they get back to being as impactful as they were before the ACL.
The injury could be the reason for his poor play no doubt. Imo the reason for his poor play is because he is a poor player right now.
I'm fine if you think he would be playing great if not for his injuries though. I just feel differently that's all. It's all good.

Last edited:
It is comparing apples to oranges. There really isn't good historical data for an inexperienced player like Exum. Every player but Schroder had college ball experience and came into the league around age 21 or older. (Lowery was a few months shy of 21 and Thomas was almost 23). Schroder played professionally in Germany for two years before coming to the NBA. So yes, these players all had higher PER, but they also had a lot more experience coming in. Dante essentially played high school, took a year off outside of the Nike Hoop Summit, and was drafted by the Jazz. So prior to this season, and inexperienced player sat out two of three years and suffered a knee injury.

Dante had a slow start his rookie year, but slowly improved month to month. He played great D, especially for a rookie, and at the end of the season, his offense started to look better as he got more aggressive. He is very tentative, probably due to age and experience. Add a knee injury to an already tentative player, and it is going to take some time to get confidence back.

The other problem with PER is it largely tracks offensive efficiency, and does not give credit for defense other than blocks and steals. Clearly this does not favor Exum at this stage compared to the above players. Dante's Defense has been good IMO. His offense is what is struggling. It looks like the coaches had him change his shot this year. It looks very mechanical (worse than before IMO). He is probably overthinking every time he shoots.

So he may not pan out, but based on his experience and the knee injury, it is still way to early to tell. I still think he will turn into a good player.

In other words, becoming a friend of and practicing with Kobe Bryant did nothing. His year off focusing on getting stronger and bball fundamentals did nothing. His PER is as low as Jaamal Tinsley's last few years in Utah because he's inexperienced and young.

Dude looked flat out scared to shoot the ball also. Rough being an NBA guard who can't score and is afraid to shoot. That won't make for even a D-League career.

Dude looked flat out scared to shoot the ball also. Rough being an NBA guard who can't score and is afraid to shoot. That won't make for even a D-League career.

But at least his handle is great... oh ****... but he's an explosive athlete... eff... he has length... so much length.

He's actually a pretty good cutter. I really think he might be a shooting guard. I feel better with Hood initiating the offense. There is still a small chance Exum is this awesome player but I think the road to get there is really long and I don't think we are the right situation.

Unfortunately having the mental fortitude and drive is just as, if not more, important than the physical gifts. Watching 5'9" IT wreck the Jazz the other night is evidence enough.

Yep, pretty obvious we should give up on Exum at this point.
LOL. Yep the guys a scrub. Completely outplayed Mack tonight. Like it wasn't even close. Still wish he could shoot, but the way he ran the offense and some of those assists were tremendous.