What's new

Can we just release Burke and Hayward?

Hayward for 10-12 million, or Evan Turner for 5-6 million? I'm not sure career 3pt% advantage of 6% ( 31% to 37%) is enough to justify spending double.

I don't know what to think of the Jazz. So many unanswered questions.

Hayward for 10-12 million, or Evan Turner for 5-6 million? I'm not sure career 3pt% advantage of 6% ( 31% to 37%) is enough to justify spending double.

I don't know what to think of the Jazz. So many unanswered questions.

The deeper this hole Hayward gets in the less he's gonna be worth.

At this point, I'm about ready to turn in my Hayward 4 leader card.

Burke is a ROTY candidate? Seriously?
Only in a class that has been the worst in recent memory. MCW has it won hands-down. I'm all for upgrading over a PG who can't shoot and can't get to the hoop.

you obviously never seen sixers play until last night.
but i do agree that mcw is a clear leader in ROTY because trey's obvious rookie wall.

you obviously never seen sixers play until last night.
but i do agree that mcw is a clear leader in ROTY because trey's obvious rookie wall.

Neither player can shoot. They should just say that due to the lack of qualifying statistics, ROTY will not be awarded this season. This rookie class has been embarrassingly bad.

MCW is averaging 17/7/5 but on 39%/29% shooting.
Burke is at 13/6/3 on 37%/34%.

And those are the two leading ROTY candidates. Absolutely pitiful!

Trey can shoot. He is just having a hard time adjusting to where he can get his shots from.

The dude has a stroke, it's fairly evident.

Neither player can shoot. They should just say that due to the lack of qualifying statistics, ROTY will not be awarded this season. This rookie class has been embarrassingly bad.

PER 36
MCW - 17.8/6.7/5.6 2.2stl
Trey - 14.6/6.4/3.6

all of sudden, it's not so pitiful if you disregard the p!ss poor shooting %. MCW would've been ROY candidate in any given year with that stat. but again, stat only tells half the story. if trey was our 2nd option, and had bit more freedom in his approach, then i bet he would've posted better number. right now, he just looks to set up guys and move out the way. that's not his game.

and you gotta look at the highs and lows. when trey is ballin' he looks so legit. i mean legit, legit. he had 5-6 of those games. that's not bad. when MCW was on he was also looked legit.

basically both are looking so inconsistent - more so with trey. but ability is there. he just gotta find his zone. he can't possibly look this bad next year. he will learn.

I'm concerned about Trey's shooting, so I decided to compare rookie-year stats with two other diminutive point guards -- Steve Nash and Allen Iverson. In Iverson's rookie year (96-97) FG% 41.6, 3PT FG% .341 -- certainly not scintillating. In fact, for his career Iverson was .425/.313, yet he averaged 26.7 points per game, handed out 6.2 assists and was a perennial All-Star. I think Trey can equal or surpass Iverson's career stats -- but maybe not because he's not an unabashed gunner. Nash was .423/.418 in his rookie year with Phoenix. He had a terrible year his first year in Dallas in 98-99 -- .363/.374 -- probably adjusting to a new system the way Trey is. It wasn't until his 4th year that he showed his MVP talent -- with .47/.403. By the way, I checked out Stockton's rookie stats from 84-85: .47/.18 (no typo) and 5.1 assists. In 85-86 he was even worse from 3 -- .133. He was so bad I remarked to a friend that he wouldn't make it in the NBA because he was such a poor long-range shooter. Trey will only get better as a shooter -- no fundamental glitches as with Ronnie Brewer. We just have to be patient.

... stat only tells half the story. if trey was our 2nd option, and had bit more freedom in his approach, then i bet he would've posted better number. right now, he just looks to set up guys and move out the way. that's not his game.... but ability is there. he just gotta find his zone. he can't possibly look this bad next year. he will learn.

Trey definitely leads the ROY race in excuses.

The OP clearly has something against Burke and Gordon. Gordon is solid player he's just being made the 1st option when he should be the 3rd option. Only reason I would consider trading him is because he's a RFA and often times RFA get overpaid. As for Burke here's a guy that has broken his finger on his shooting hand coming into his rookie year. He has been great in the PNR/PNP game early and if you watch the games he's now being used in a totally different capacity. Why would anybody want to give up on a rookie that's shown so many flashes of being a really good player?

I'm concerned about Trey's shooting, so I decided to compare rookie-year stats with two other diminutive point guards -- Steve Nash and Allen Iverson. In Iverson's rookie year (96-97) FG% 41.6, 3PT FG% .341 -- certainly not scintillating. In fact, for his career Iverson was .425/.313, yet he averaged 26.7 points per game, handed out 6.2 assists and was a perennial All-Star. I think Trey can equal or surpass Iverson's career stats -- but maybe not because he's not an unabashed gunner. Nash was .423/.418 in his rookie year with Phoenix. He had a terrible year his first year in Dallas in 98-99 -- .363/.374 -- probably adjusting to a new system the way Trey is. It wasn't until his 4th year that he showed his MVP talent -- with .47/.403. By the way, I checked out Stockton's rookie stats from 84-85: .47/.18 (no typo) and 5.1 assists. In 85-86 he was even worse from 3 -- .133. He was so bad I remarked to a friend that he wouldn't make it in the NBA because he was such a poor long-range shooter. Trey will only get better as a shooter -- no fundamental glitches as with Ronnie Brewer. We just have to be patient.

That's what I've been trying to say all along. I think CP3 and Deron shot around 42% their rookie years. I'm not afraid of the shooting, it's lack of getting inside the paint and to the foul line that makes me question how good he will be. Hopefully he'll find his niche and be able to be a solid player.

And every player that washed out of the NBA after their rookie contract no doubt had crappy stats too. So what?

Compared to other ROY

PER 36
Jason Kidd - 12.4/8.2/5.8/2 stl .385%
steve francis - 18/6.6/5.5/1.5 .445%
derrick rose - 16.8/6.3/3.9/.8 .475%
tyreke evans - 19.5/5.6/5.1 .458%
kyrie irving - 21.8/6.4/4.4/ .469%
damian lillard - 17.8/6/2.9/.8 .429%
MCW - 17.8/6.7/5.6/2 .396%

MCW's number isn't horrible out of place. at least not yet.

trey's fg% is too low for sure. he isn't getting an easy basket because he isn't attacking. and his jumpers aren't falling. but i see him 43-44% shooter who will always make the clutch shots. just don't expect him to be steve nash type of efficient shooter.

The issue with Trey isn't the slump, it's that he can't drive. At all. But his future is the Nash direction of PG's, not the Deron direction, and it's too early to tell what he can still develop into. I'm less hopeful by the day, but still hopeful.

Hayward, on the other hand, is a known property. He has good vision, he's unselfish, he makes players better on the floor, and he will shoot better. On the flip side, he can't create his own shot, he can't drive, he has an average handle, and those things won't change. Unlike Trey, his value is known, it's all about figuring out what it actually translates to in salary.