What's new

Chicago is open to trading Zach LaVine

Would they really give up 5 picks for Lauri? OKC doesn't seem to be in a rush to do anything.
I think so. One would be our pick. They own a Philly and MIA pick with light protections. Plus the best 2024 pick they own and the 2026 Clips pick. That seems like a lot but not insane for what they would get.

They aren't rushing... and while they shouldn't rush they also shouldn't slow play it if an opportunity arrives.

View: https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1730687022384173543

Also Zach is out a week with "foot soreness".

Zach's contract might be the one that starts a pivot in the way these things are viewed. I still have this feeling we end up "getting Zach for free" which @infection will love.

Yeah, the Bulls want to trade LaVine, but teams are hesitant to get him because of his big contract ($44.5 mil per year), below average shooting this season (44%), and questionable impact on winning (the teams where he has played have finished with a winning record only once in his 10 seasons in the league, the Bulls are 194-291 since acquiring LaVine in 2017).

Here’s what Wojnarowski said, “I think the question for teams is, how much does Zach LaVine impact winning? Especially with his salary and a new salary cap where you’re asking yourself, ‘Are we trading for our best player? No. Our second-best player? No. So he’s our third-best player, do we want to pay that kind of money?’

If I were Danny, I would stay away from LaVine. He’s never been a team player. And he can’t defend. We would just put ourselves in the situation the Bulls are now with him.

Andy is reporting we’re interested only at a bargain basement price… basically what a couple of us have been saying since this news first broke.
DA is like my wife. If Bath and Body Works is having a BOGO sale I know I'm headed home with a big bag full of candles, lotion, and body wash.

Also this is how it started with Collins last year. He was interested if we get a pick... then it was that Atlanta wanted 3 firsts or some nonsense that got reported... in the end we got him for Gay and a second. Unless Lakers hit a snag I don't see the obvious team that makes a good offer (doesn't mean there aren't some surprise teams out there).

DA is like my wife. If Bath and Body Works is having a BOGO sale I know I'm headed home with a big bag full of candles, lotion, and body wash.

Also this is how it started with Collins last year. He was interested if we get a pick... then it was that Atlanta wanted 3 firsts or some nonsense that got reported... in the end we got him for Gay and a second. Unless Lakers hit a snag I don't see the obvious team that makes a good offer (doesn't mean there aren't some surprise teams out there).
Lol

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Every day that passes a Collins + Clarkson deal for LaVine is increasing in likelihood to me.
Every win and every good Coby White game the Bulls stack the more likely they are to settle for less than ideal return. The lower the price goes the more Thrifter Danny gets interested.

Also to feed @infection 's "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly" comparison...

Think about this...

- we struggled at backup center so we signed Ed Davis... he sucked...
- so we overpaid Favs to be the backup... he got old and we had other needs
- so we traded a first to get off his contract so we could get a stretch big like Rudy Gay... who sucked
- so we traded Gay and a second to take a flier on John Collins... who wasn't what we needed
- so we parlayed that into Zach LaVine?

Look there are some really loose connections and not all things led to the other... but still kinda fun.

According to recent MIT research, the probability of LaVine NOT ending up in LA is 0.00000046%.
I understand that is a possibility... but there are some complications there. The contracts have to line up almost perfect as both teams are right at the tax line... so likely need a third part to absorb some salary. LA also may end up adding a pick but DLo, Rui, Vincent don't really help Chicago much. I don't think they are great trade partners.

Also to feed @infection 's "there was an old lady who swallowed a fly" comparison...

Think about this...

- we struggled at backup center so we signed Ed Davis... he sucked...
- so we overpaid Favs to be the backup... he got old and we had other needs
- so we traded a first to get off his contract so we could get a stretch big like Rudy Gay... who sucked
- so we traded Gay and a second to take a flier on John Collins... who wasn't what we needed
- so we parlayed that into Zach LaVine?

Look there are some really loose connections and not all things led to the other... but still kinda fun.

As a side note, I would also mentioned we blew the pick on Dok....I tend to be forgiving and not use too much hindsight on things like late first round picks, but even at the time it was insane to use another asset on a big.

Hasan Whiteside was the only good backup big, and he was acquired at the right amount of investment.

Don't know if this was posted already. Darnell Mayberry says trade is imminent.

For LaVine specifically, I think the Lakers would consider a D’Angelo Russell-centric deal, but I don’t think they’d throw in much more than a combination of salary filler (Rui Hachimura and/or Gabe Vincent), a young prospect (Max Christie or Jalen Hood-Schifino) and a protected pick (2029 or 2030 first rounder). The Lakers would fight to keep Hachimura and Christie, to be clear. But I see that offer on the high end of what they’d be willing to give up.

Even so, I don’t think they’d want to bid against themselves and would need another suitor to up their offer to more than a minimum package. They feel like they would be doing the Bulls a favor by clearing LaVine’s salary off their books and kickstarting a rebuild if the Bulls ultimately go in that direction.

Don't know if this was posted already. Darnell Mayberry says trade is imminent.

Good article... Jovan Buha the guy that covers the Lakers and co-authors the article says this:

Ultimately, I think a deal is less likely to happen than the recent buzz suggests. Unless the Lakers are the only suitor for LaVine, there will be better offers on the table. I also don’t think the Lakers will meet the Bulls’ sky-high price for Caruso — if the Bulls even entertain trading him. DeRozan is the most realistic target, but the LaVine domino likely must fall first before the Bulls would consider moving DeRozan. And I think the haggling over Reaves, pick protections and young assets could prevent the two sides from finding common ground.

I’m skeptical that a deal gets done between these two franchises. I think LaVine ends up staying put or going elsewhere.

Feels like DLo would have to go to a third team... not sure who is excited about him these days.

The team to watch on LaVine is Philly. Can do a really clean Harris for Lavine deal. Morey can keep his picks for later. Bulls clear the cap space and can stay mid this year.

I think I'm officially against a LaVine trade but I would also understand it. I think with the Collins deal we just ride it out and if there is an opportunity to get out of the money figure it out later. I think there will be some recoil due to the new cba in the next few years and that deal could end up being really rough.