What's new

Clarkson Likely to Get Extension

I'm interested to see how he plays this year. Quin basically gave him the ultimate green light off the bench, not sure Will Hardy will do the same.

I agree that his role will be very different this season under Hardy. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to it.
I think there is a slim chance he plays in the starting 5 some with Mike early on. Then with Sexton after the deadline if not traded and Mike is or something. This should bode well for the tank if they want to turn it up by then as Sexton will be trying to get his playmaking going but the offense will suffer with limited options being used in the starting 5 besides said chucker mode JC. I am guessing JC will get moved though at the deadline, unless he already has single handedly put them in last place in the beginning of the season. Probably not , but given he would like to be moved by then if they are pretty bad regardless, I think he is at least shopped.

I think there is a slim chance he plays in the starting 5 some with Mike early on. Then with Sexton after the deadline if not traded and Mike is or something. This should bode well for the tank if they want to turn it up by then as Sexton will be trying to get his playmaking going but the offense will suffer with limited options being used in the starting 5 besides said chucker mode JC. I am guessing JC will get moved though at the deadline, unless he already has single handedly put them in last place in the beginning of the season. Probably not , but given he would like to be moved by then if they are pretty bad regardless, I think he is at least shopped.
Word is he’s a favorite of Smith’s and likely to be extended. They say that he was the main sticking point on the Westbrick negotiations. I think you’re negative opinion of him is probably shaped more by the “microwave” role he was made to play under Snyder than anything. Even then, I seem to remember him digging us out of quite a few holes with his frenetc energy.

Last edited:
Word is he’s a favorite of Smith’s and likely to be extended. They say that he was the main sticking point on the Westbrick negotiations. I think you’re negative opinion of him is probably shaped more by the “microwave” role he was made to play under Snyder than anything. Even then, I seem to remember him digging us out of quite a few holes.

Snyder didn't make him play that role, that's just who he is and how he plays. He was a chucker with the Lakers and Cavs as well.

Snyder didn't make him play that role, that's just who he is and how he plays. He was a chucker with the Lakers and Cavs as well.
Yeah sure! One year removed from 6th man of the year but he’s just a chucker Judging by his contract extension, Tyler Herro is getting just a bit more respect for that accomplishment even though his team didn’t wind up with the best record in the league last year like we did the year before. Looks like Ryan has a different opinion than yours.

Yeah sure! One year removed from 6th man of the year but he’s just a chucker Judging by his contract extension, Tyler Herro is getting just a bit more respect for that accomplishment even though his team didn’t wind up with the best record in the league last year like we did the year before. Looks like Ryan has a different opinion than yours.
Technically most microwaves are instant offense, hence the label, and they are usually iso dominant, tunnel vision labelled, one on 5 score first guards. They also often become exposed as chuckers when given too much green light opportunities outside of a bench role. The %'s go down to the innefficient range and result in the team being disgruntled with no usage or worse complacent.
This is a terrible idea for a team building coach to use, so unless JC buys into a playmaking role his days are numbered no matter how well liked he is as a person.

Dude can score just don't give him the highest usage or the defenses will force him into tougher shots and he will fail. Seen it before, pretty common really.
I don't know if he has the plamaker mindset to buy into what they should be doing this season which is developing around the players from the Cavs and a few others.

Technically most microwaves are instant offense, hence the label, and they are usually iso dominant, tunnel vision labelled, one on 5 score first guards. They also often become exposed as chuckers when given too much green light opportunities outside of a bench role. The %'s go down to the innefficient range and result in the team being disgruntled with no usage or worse complacent.
This is a terrible idea for a team building coach to use, so unless JC buys into a playmaking role his days are numbered no matter how well liked he is as a person.
Well in another thread, even though they weren't included in the survey, I picked wither Clarkson or Beasley to be our leading scorer this season. Right for one game so far! But yeah, he's a smart guy, I think he can be more of a team player as evidenced by his team leading five assists in the first preseason game against Toronto.

extend him. Very likable down to earth and great personality. And flamethrower was born here, no other player has a cool nickname like him.

I'm torn on this subject. On one hand keeping JC makes sense if we can find a way to rebuild fast... on the other hand if we are 3-4 years away then his playstyle wont likely survive on a high level for that long and he will command a lot of playing time that we could give to the next generation of guards... just to give us 3-4 more wins per year or something.

Interesting. Basically says they’re engaged but they also might test free agency?
I think the extension options are he opts in and gets like 2 years and an additional 35M... so essentially 3 years and $50M after this year. Or he declines his option and gets like 3/52Mish. Like there isn't a lot of places to go and part of the conversation might be DA saying he wants to wait until after the trade deadline.

He might find a decent market in FA... if its mostly about money then I'd say he should wait until the offseason. Cutting off extension talks might make him trade bait... which he would most likely not want.

I think the extension options are he opts in and gets like 2 years and an additional 35M... so essentially 3 years and $50M after this year. Or he declines his option and gets like 3/52Mish. Like there isn't a lot of places to go and part of the conversation might be DA saying he wants to wait until after the trade deadline.

He might find a decent market in FA... if its mostly about money then I'd say he should wait until the offseason. Cutting off extension talks might make him trade bait... which he would most likely not want.
I think he actually would like to be traded, if they are sellers of other vets at the deadline if not him, like Conley,KO or both. I doubt JC has any interest in the org firing up the tank right after he signs an extension either. So maybe they will be buyers smh

The maximum we can offer him is 120% of the last year of the contract with 8% raises, right? Is the last year this year or the PO for next year?

The maximum we can offer him is 120% of the last year of the contract with 8% raises, right? Is the last year this year or the PO for next year?
I think if he declines or exercises his option that is what determines the last year... so would be part of the extension negotiation.

I'm not worried about losing JC really. I have a hard time seeing the team that would:

1- Offer more money than we would
2- Give him the role he has now
3- Is also a competitive market that he would like.

It would kinda be like LA or Orlando maybe... and most other scenarios would be him taking the MLE or doing a sign and trade.

I am all for trading JC if we can get a good return. If we cant get a good return then we should definitely try to extend him.