What's new

Clarkson Likely to Get Extension

There were earlier reports about us likely letting JC test FA before we sign him.. but I hate that approach.

The conspiracy theorist in me says its a ruse by Rob Pelinka to get him to LA with Kuzma.. as they let Russ walk and free almost 50M cap space.

They will likely have around 30M-35M in cap space this off-season if they don’t acquire any future salary. That’s enough to get one of those guys but not both.

They will likely have around 30M-35M in cap space this off-season if they don’t acquire any future salary. That’s enough to get one of those guys but not both.
Im so bad with cap stuff lmao. Thanks for correcting me. ;)

I still believe in the ruse though.

Clarkson will be traded. My guess is Phoenix. They're struggling bad right now and want/need a change. Jazz would probably want 2 firsts plus a decent player

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Clarkson will be traded. My guess is Phoenix. They're struggling bad right now and want/need a change. Jazz would probably want 2 firsts plus a decent player

I don't see any way we get two firsts for JC, unless maybe if we take back some disastrous contract.

And I’m not even sure that factors in Austin Reeves cap hold… I’ve been saying all along they should acquire some salary to use in a sign and trade. Someone can come offer Reeves a decent deal and his cap hold jumps from like 2M to 8-10M… poof…. Cap space gone. It would be better for them to get an couple guys with 1 more year left on their deal then package the picks with that salary and still retain their guys… plus they could use the MLE.

So we’re unlikely to trade someone who doesn’t want to re-sign and can leave this off-season because we’re in the midst of making the play-in?
Bro, you get in the play-in and anything can happen. Anything except a lottery pick.

Bro, you get in the play-in and anything can happen. Anything except a lottery pick.
This draft is largely overrated on these boards outside the top 3 ,so I doubt the front office really cares about adding 1 high ceiling 18 year old, by tanking,or even more likely 1 that might help them 3 years from now that they pick somewhere 4-12. They clearly are interested in risking years of mediocrity selling the hope of winning ,using undervalued, chip on the proverbial shoulder, sleepers and vets seeking paychecks. Looks like they are not going all in on selling vets for losses

So we’re unlikely to trade someone who doesn’t want to re-sign and can leave this off-season because we’re in the midst of making the play-in?

With his current salary we can only offer him a certain amount so my guess is he would consider re-signing but the number needs to be closer to 20-25mil a year and there is no way I'm paying a 31yr old Clarkson that type of money.

Phoenix definitely makes the most sense but it sure as hell won't be for 2 firsts.

I wonder what does he mean by limited in what they can offer

The first-year salary in a veteran extension can be worth up to 120% of the salary in the final year of the player’s previous contract. Annual raises are limited to 8% of the first-year extension salary.

So the most we could offer Clarkson right now is:

3-year 55.9M

or

4-year 77.5M

He probably could get more in free agency after the year he’s having. He has one of best contracts in the league from a team standpoint right now.

I wonder what does he mean by limited in what they can offer
Per CBA rules they can only offer 20% raise on a mid season extension. He's making $13.3 mil this season so the new deal would start at around $16mil next season which is closer to 6th man money than starting SG money. Anything can happen but I think Klutch is going to demand starting SG money and he's going to opt out of his contract this summer to become an unrestricted free agent and can sign wherever he wants. JC will be 31 this year so this will be his last big chance to secure a big bag. Jazz will have his bird rights so can go over the cap to resign him.

Edit: Per Elijah Huge info above he can also choose not to opt out and the extension would kick in the next season based off next year's salary. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Whatever. I like him and think he is a good player but i wont be that upset if he is gone.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I can get behind this. I do think he'd be a good vet presence which you always need on an up-and-coming team. And a great locker-room presence. But if we can add assets it'll be worth it.

Starting SG money is probably closer to 4/$100mil but that's just a guess on my part. A 6th man like Jordan Poole just got a 4/$123 mil extension.

The first-year salary in a veteran extension can be worth up to 120% of the salary in the final year of the player’s previous contract. Annual raises are limited to 8% of the first-year extension salary.

So the most we could offer Clarkson right now is:

3-year 55.9M

or

4-year 77.5M

He probably could get more in free agency after the year he’s having. He has one of best contracts in the league from a team standpoint right now.
I bet he's looking for 20-ish. So we are going to roll with Conley and Sexton. that's Dam short lol.