What's new

Clarkson Likely to Get Extension

The first-year salary in a veteran extension can be worth up to 120% of the salary in the final year of the player’s previous contract. Annual raises are limited to 8% of the first-year extension salary.

So the most we could offer Clarkson right now is:

3-year 55.9M

or

4-year 77.5M

He probably could get more in free agency after the year he’s having.

What kind of a year IS he having? And don't give me the counting stats.

Collin Sexton had zero takers before his injury when the Cavs quietly shopped him, and he's a lot younger and a lot more athletic. The problem was that he was known around the league as an undersized me-first scorer who played terrible defense, and nobody was willing to give him the top dog role he was used to in Cleveland (or the money that comes with it). Teams also didn't believe he'd adapt to playing off the bench long term, particularly on a lower salary.

Some of these factors also apply to Clarkson this season. JC's gaudy stats are a direct result of playing a **** ton of minutes (by far a career high), an offense where he's been allowed to freelance as a starter, and having one of the most efficient players in the league as a high-scoring teammate. No team will pay him to try to replicate what he's doing now, not when he's on the wrong side of 30 and can't guard anyone anymore.

If Clarkson takes the free agency route, he'll be shocked at the low offers he'll receive. Nobody's looking to pay an aging scorer who doesn't defend. Danny Ainge knows this, he's not fooled by the counting stats. DA won't bid against himself.

Of course, as they say... it only takes one idiot. We've seen some terrible multiyear deals where an older guy playing a hyper athletic position has fallen off a cliff after a couple of years and become an albatross contract. Who knows.

Last edited:
What kind of a year IS he having? And don't give me the counting stats.

Collin Sexton had zero takers before his injury when the Cavs quietly shopped him, and he's a lot younger and a lot more athletic. The problem was that he was known around the league as an undersized me-first scorer who played terrible defense, and nobody was willing to give him the top dog role he was used to in Cleveland (or the money that comes with it). Teams also didn't believe he'd adapt to playing off the bench long term, particularly on a lower salary.

Some of these factors also apply to Clarkson this season. JC's gaudy stats are a direct result of playing a **** ton of minutes (by far a career high), an offense where he's been allowed to freelance as a starter, and having one of the most efficient players in the league as a high-scoring teammate. No team will pay him to try to replicate what he's doing now, not when he's on the wrong side of 30 and can't guard anyone anymore.

If Clarkson takes the free agency route, he'll be shocked at the low offers he'll receive. Nobody's looking to pay an aging scorer who doesn't defend. Danny Ainge knows this, he's not fooled by the counting stats. DA won't bid against himself.

Of course, as they say... it only takes one idiot. We've seen some terrible multiyear deals where an older guy playing a hyper athletic position has fallen off a cliff after a couple of years and become an albatross contract. Who knows.

Aren’t you the one who said Vando will be lucky to get 7-8M? I don’t think you have a good grasp on contracts in the NBA.

Go take a look at Eric Gordon’s latest extension. Look at his age and production then compare it to Clarkson’s and get back to me.

Edit: Per Elijah Huge info above he can also choose not to opt out and the extension would kick in the next season based off next year's salary. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I’m fairly certain that the case but someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. He could opt in and then get a 4/77.5M extension and we’d have him signed for 5 years total.

Bogey got $20M a year and is 3 years older. Clarkson is right to think he will likely get better offers in FA. The offer from the Jazz is probably still going to be there if he can't find a team anyways.

I know Ryan Smith has an attachment to Clarkson, but this is the right time to move him. He sent out Mitchell, so I'm confident that if Ainge finds a deal he likes Ryan will OK it. Like Bogey, I think the Jazz will struggle to find a first round pick that does not come back with bad salary. If it were up to me, I'd target second draft guys more than bad first round picks with bad salary also coming back.

He's also a vastly better player.

Eh...it's questionable who is better. Different types of players, and Clarkson is absolutely beloved around the league. The age absolutely makes a huge difference.

There's no reason for Clarkson to sign the extension right now. The same offer will be there in the summer for him, and there's a good chance he gets equal or better on the market anyways. Even if he doesn't, the choice to decide how the last years of his career go has to be extremely valuable to him. If I was JC's agent, I would strongly advise against signing the extension.

Eh...it's questionable who is better. Different types of players, and Clarkson is absolutely beloved around the league. The age absolutely makes a huge difference.

There's no reason for Clarkson to sign the extension right now. The same offer will be there in the summer for him, and there's a good chance he gets equal or better on the market anyways. Even if he doesn't, the choice to decide how the last years of his career go has to be extremely valuable to him. If I was JC's agent, I would strongly advise against signing the extension.

People have forgotten how frustrating Bogey was for us. Dude could shoot but was very frustrating game to game in other aspects of his game.

There is as much non basketball logic as to why Ryan Smith wants JC in SLC as there is basketball logic. JC likes SLC and he represents minorities in ways that really appeal to Smith. Not arguing right or wrong but I think it is very evident. Unless we get a whopping trade offer or unless JC gets a whopping contract that we simply cant match, I think he will be here long term.

I'd rather trade Clarkson than pay him. I like him, good player great guy. But I don't want to be stuck paying him big money two seasons from now, and I want us to get a little worse and take a dive for the rest of the season. I want a high lottery pick to pair with Markannen.

So he bought a mansion in San Antonio, his home town. He could be moving there or nearby team no?
Houston and SA have lots of cap space. he also just might want to take advantage of a bad market and land his amazing forever house.

I'll go ahead and draw my line in the sand and say that I hope we don't extend Clarkson, especially since he is asking for more money than he can get in an extension. I like JC quite a bit. I also think what he does is extremely valuable (get buckets while closely guarded), but I just don't love the other parts of his game, and also don't think our window matches his.

As such I hope we trade him and get as much value for him as possible.

I'll go ahead and draw my line in the sand and say that I hope we don't extend Clarkson, especially since he is asking for more money than he can get in an extension. I like JC quite a bit. I also think what he does is extremely valuable (get buckets while closely guarded), but I just don't love the other parts of his game, and also don't think our window matches his.

As such I hope we trade him and get as much value for him as possible.
I'd love to have JC as a no-conscience microwave scorer off the bench, with a pretty short leash... but the way he plays (and has always played), I'm just not sure he can keep it up on the wrong side of 30. For one thing, his defense will absolutely fall off a cliff, if it hasn't already.

Also: we have another guy who would be perfect in that very role: Sexton. And he's much younger. So I'd have no trouble letting Clarkson go. There's no way we should be extending him for pretty big money with the idea that he's gonna keep the starting role.

Trouble is, other teams are probably thinking along the same lines. At this point in his career, he's definitely going to play off the bench wherever he goes. There might be something of a market for him but he won't be getting a huge bag.