What's new

Cleveland aiming for another #1 pick?

BTP

Andy Varejao with a torn achilles...

Huge blow. Their defense was already bad, now it will turn horrible.
I suppose they'll try really hard to cash in on Waiters for another big.

Haha.

They should have took the Favors and 5 deal from us for Wiggins.

Instead of no defense Kevin Love, they could have Favors, Bennett, and something else they could have gotten for the 5th pick.

If you check back to the original trade threads, I said it would have better to keep Bennett and Wiggins instead of trade for Love. I still stand by it. Kevin Love is a soft big who can shoot and rebound. Where have we seen this story before? Plus, there is only one ball. It's too much overlap of scorers. It's not how you build a team. You need to have a lot of the other roles filled too. You don't need a ton of volume scorers. When are these so called greatest basketball minds ever gonna learn? It's like there is only 1 team in the NBA that gets it, and it's the Spurs. The Warriors are great right now, but watch them try to jam David Lee back into the rotation, and then screw everything up. Every team seems to be just trying to put the most popular stat getting players together and calling it a team. Without actually putting some thought into what they are doing.

The Cavs may eventually get the finals, but this team as constructed, is gonna struggle to win a bunch of championships. They may get 1 or 2 at the most, but probably none, unless they wake up and trade some of that talent in for the right pieces.

Haha.

They should have took the Favors and 5 deal from us for Wiggins.

Instead of no defense Kevin Love, they could have Favors, Bennett, and something else they could have gotten for the 5th pick.

If you check back to the original trade threads, I said it would have better to keep Bennett and Wiggins instead of trade for Love. I still stand by it. Kevin Love is a soft big who can shoot and rebound. Where have we seen this story before? Plus, there is only one ball. It's too much overlap of scorers. It's not how you build a team. You need to have a lot of the other roles filled too. You don't need a ton of volume scorers. When are these so called greatest basketball minds ever gonna learn? It's like there is only 1 team in the NBA that gets it, and it's the Spurs. The Warriors are great right now, but watch them try to jam David Lee back into the rotation, and then screw everything up. Every team seems to be just trying to put the most popular stat getting players together and calling it a team. Without actually putting some thought into what they are doing.

The Cavs may eventually get the finals, but this team as constructed, is gonna struggle to win a bunch of championships. They may get 1 or 2 at the most, but probably none, unless they wake up and trade some of that talent in for the right pieces.

They should never let a player, even one as great as lebron, be the gm. They should have kept wiggins and traded waiters for a passable big man, they would have been wayyyyy better off. Like gyp said though, lots of us said similar stuff.

I way over rated love. Thought it was a great trade for Cleveland.
Wrong again

I way over rated love. Thought it was a great trade for Cleveland.
Wrong again

Love sucks deck

sent from a phone ya bish

It's not that Love sucks, it's just that to build around him, you have to put pieces around him that compliment him, especially since he's not an all around player.

If Love is going to be one of your main pieces then you need a defense center next to him. Then maybe a pass first point guard too.

They should never let a player, even one as great as lebron, be the gm. They should have kept wiggins and traded waiters for a passable big man, they would have been wayyyyy better off. Like gyp said though, lots of us said similar stuff.

Ya, Lebron needs to stop trying to play GM. He's not very good at it.

When they constructed the Heat team, I thought a lot of the same things(like a lot of people). Even though Wade is a great player and they did go to 4 straight championships, it wasn't a great fit. Wade overlapped a lot of what Lebron already did. And Bosh wasn't a great fit either.

I think Lebron should have found a way to get on the same team as Anthony Davis. Now that would have been a great pairing. I think those two would be better than either this Cavs team or the old Heat team. With only two of them. Then they could have put better, and cheaper complimentary pieces around them.

Lebron could have joined up with Anthony Davis if he wanted to. The Pelicans could have found a way to unload salary. Maybe he really did want to go back to Cleveland for all the right reasons, but it still was mostly about building a super team again imo.

Ya, Lebron needs to stop trying to play GM. He's not very good at it.

When they constructed the Heat team, I thought a lot of the same things(like a lot of people). Even though Wade is a great player and they did go to 4 straight championships, it wasn't a great fit. Wade overlapped a lot of what Lebron already did. And Bosh wasn't a great fit either.

I think Lebron should have found a way to get on the same team as Anthony Davis. Now that would have been a great pairing. I think those two would be better than either this Cavs team or the old Heat team. With only two of them. Then they could have put better, and cheaper complimentary pieces around them.

Lebron could have joined up with Anthony Davis if he wanted to. The Pelicans could have found a way to unload salary. Maybe he really did want to go back to Cleveland for all the right reasons, but it still was mostly about building a super team again imo.

Two problems: the Pelicans are in the West; They aren't nowhere ready to contend.

Two problems: the Pelicans are in the West; They aren't nowhere ready to contend.
I think hack is saying that lebron would make them ready to contend. (Plus where lebron goes, others follow)

I think hack is saying that lebron would make them ready to contend. (Plus where lebron goes, others follow)

Well LeBron isn't making the Cavs ready to contend as it looks right now. I don't know if he made a bigger impact there. I don't know. I'M just sceptic.

And Cleveland was just a step away from contending? They had the #1 pick two years in a row. That's not exactly a playoff team.

LeBron and Kyrie together. You don't think that team is contendingOh and K-Love is also there.

Kyrie isn't Anthony Davis, and neither is Kevin Love. Anthony Davis is on another level. Davis does something neither of them do, and that's defense. Hes a legit defensive player of the year candidate. Also, a legit MVP candidate, a long with being in the argument for being the best player. He's actually really good. Even being as young as he is. If I were a GM, you couldn't trade me Kevin Love and Kyrie for Davis.

Kyrie isn't Anthony Davis, and neither is Kevin Love. Anthony Davis is on another level. Davis does something neither of them do, and that's defense. Hes a legit defensive player of the year candidate. Also, a legit MVP candidate, a long with being in the argument for being the best player. He's actually really good. Even being as young as he is. If I were a GM, you couldn't trade me Kevin Love and Kyrie for Davis.

If you're a GM, you know 2 really good players have a bigger impact than 1 transcendent player. And Brow is real good, don't get me wrong. I love how he plays. He's still just 21 though. And 21 usually means you're still making mistakes. And if you look at LeBron's age, miles on his body and project his dwindling athleticism going forward, do you wanna gamble and wait 3 years until Brow is ready to contend or do you wait 1 year and gamble that the Cavs guys can fully utilize their talents in a way that they complement each other and actually win games.
The asset management in New Orleans has been mediocre so far.
The ALbatros Eric "Wheelchair" Gordon contract expires in '16. This means: No free agency until then.
In '16 LeBron would have opted out for another supermax new contract deal and the Brow getts the Derrick Rose provision new TV contract max deal.
Tyreke and Holiday combine for $21M and $21.5M through '17. So basically the Hornets can only add through trades. In '16 they may have some $15M available depending on how the cap manipulation works to avoid rapid jumps. But nothing game changing.

The brow > kyrie and love
And it's not even close

This guy gets it. You win with great players, not great scorers.

I don't know but he last time I check great teamplay and playing consistent were the most important attributes. are required to win a championship.

A no show PF on the defensive end doesn't cause too many problems as long as your team defense rotations are right and you got the inside big playing smart rim protection.

The next issue I see is that LeBron isn't playing good defense any longer. He's constantly out of stance, out of position and gambling, reaching in.
You need that defensive wing that can defend both wing spots to build a good defense. I don't know how good Varejao was every defensively or how much he had left there, but I know they currently don't have the wing defense needed to win.