What's new

Coach Q Quote on Starting Enes or Rudy

Did he happen to say why he thought that they are going to trade Kanter, was that all that he had?
From his latest chat:
Clint (SLC)
I love the way Gobert has been playing, but I feel like I'm the only Jazz fan who doesn't want to give up on Kanter. Can/should the Jazz keep all 3? (Fav, Gobert, and Kanter)

Kevin Pelton (3:25 PM)
I'm on the record as believing the Jazz will trade Kanter by the deadline. I don't think that's entirely because of Gobert or that it would be impossible to keep all three, but personally I don't think Kanter will be worth what he gets paid this summer because of his defensive limitations. And I have an unfounded suspicion the Utah front offense feels the same way.

Quin is playing this so perfectly. He is pulling the focus away from having to choose between the two, so it will not be he situation of "hey. we really wanna move this guy and need smaller game piece in exchange", but instead "hey. we looked at this guy as one of our franchise players so you better come up with something valuable in exchange".

My thoughts exactly, and no, you are not overthinking this. The signal to other teams who want Kanter needs to be "yep, we want him too, scoring bigs are rare commodities, and if you want him, you better have a great deal in pocket or don't bother. We can win with a 3 man big rotation, we'll draft our wing of the future in this draft, or Alec will develop, or we'll trade for him, we have the cards now"

The higher the perceived value to the Jazz, the better the deal they are going to get. As soon as they suggest he is throwaway, his value drops. This is the correct "trading mentality" and is exactly how the Jazz will play it.

These posts that suggest due to Rudy's emergence we give Kanter away for a can of beans are absolutely insane. Fortunately, DL is smarter (okay, a lot smarter) than these short-term thinking fans.

Also, if the Jazz sign him for $11M, they preserve him as a trade asset as part of a deal to fill a need on the wing or elsewhere.

DL's plan is coming together very nicely.

He is expendable, just like everyone else is until we start winning.

Redundant? No. He is our only big who can post up and still shoot 3's. He is our best offensive rebounder (one of the best in the league actually), and is our only big who shoots above 70% from the FT line (he shoots 82%). He's not redundant.

Favors and Gobert might be redundant from a skillset standpoint, but that is probably a luxury more thab a redundancy.

Our team needs better wing players to help Hayward, and better PG's to feed our bigs and stem the opposing offensive penetration at the source, right?

^well, we have Dante who is developing, and Neto who we haven't even seen in the NBa yet, trading for another PG is probably premature and could stunt Dante's growth: a prospect who could be our franchise player.

As for wings, we have Alec and Hood, and a lotto pick coming in the wing portion of this draft.

As for money? With the cap, our situation and contract structuring, etc. is not an issue.

Best course of action? Sit tight unless someone offers something that blows you away.

Rudy, Enes, and Derrick can all get 32 mins-a-piece.

Let me ask you a question. Do you like fishsticks?

Everyone thinks "ooooh the cap is going up max eeeerryone." Every players in the leagues salary is going up bros, it's not some kind of magic.

Yes, which means it will be difficult to attract decent FA's going forward. Almost every team will have a ton of cap space and be willing to overspend for the handful of quality players available. Jazz don't need backups: they have a ton. 8-man rotation of Favors, Kanter, Gobert, Hayward, Burks, Ingles, Exum and Burke, with Hood and Booker - and the 2015 first-rounder in the mix. If Jazz decide to keep Kanter, DL should look to trade up to get a wing.

My thoughts exactly, and no, you are not overthinking this. The signal to other teams who want Kanter needs to be "yep, we want him too, scoring bigs are rare commodities, and if you want him, you better have a great deal in pocket or don't bother. We can win with a 3 man big rotation, we'll draft our wing of the future in this draft, or Alec will develop, or we'll trade for him, we have the cards now"

The higher the perceived value to the Jazz, the better the deal they are going to get. As soon as they suggest he is throwaway, his value drops. This is the correct "trading mentality" and is exactly how the Jazz will play it.

These posts that suggest due to Rudy's emergence we give Kanter away for a can of beans are absolutely insane. Fortunately, DL is smarter (okay, a lot smarter) than these short-term thinking fans.

Also, if the Jazz sign him for $11M, they preserve him as a trade asset as part of a deal to fill a need on the wing or elsewhere.

That's right, a little below or above 10m$ would be a tradeable amount. Of course Enes would have to live up to it for it to be tradeable, but if stress is the thing that holds Enes' confidence and focus back, he will perform better than this when he stops thinking about what the next path for his career will be. But I wouldn't be so shocked if someone threw a ridiculous amount at him.

Quin is playing this so perfectly. He is pulling the focus away from having to choose between the two, so it will not be he situation of "hey. we really wanna move this guy and need smaller game piece in exchange", but instead "hey. we looked at this guy as one of our franchise players so you better come up with something valuable in exchange".

^Gets it.

When I weigh Kanter's progress, I take into account the fact that he essentially two years behind Favors in experience (one year in age) and has played through injury as well. Favors had the advantage of playing a full year of college. Kanter sat out a year due to some bs.

Kanter also had the pleasure of coming to the NBA during a lockout season. He finally starts consistently, but is thrown into a new system where his offensive role had a dramatic shift compared to Favors.

Enes has shown his work ethic by getting cut last offseason. I have seen a lot of progression from him, and imho, trading him at this point would be a mistake. I have not been thrilled with him or Favors tbh, but I do not know if we can replace Kanter's skillset via trade, and I still think Kanter will ultimately be better than Favors. I have seen as much or more inconsistency on both ends from Favors, who has more limited offensive moves, and his jumper still seems inconsistent. I also think Kanter will better spread the floor in the new offense. I hope the Jazz lock him up for the long term.

The Jazz are still building the team up, so no need yet to start panicking and trading guys for "the missing piece", simply because the team is far from this. To me it is obvious that the Jazz have to tell their 3 bigs : "we are so happy to have you guys, with your different profiles, there is 96 minutes to go around at the 4/5, and right now we want the 3 of you to share that load and make us win". Down the road choices will have to be made, but not yet.

When negociating with Enes for the extension, the Jazz have to make that clear : no they are not promising him the starting role, but they want to pay him the kind of money that shows they want him to play a big role in the team, it will be up to him to be either the unmoveable starting guy (à la Noah in the 2011/2014 bulls) or the essential contributor off the bench (à la Taj Gibson).

It will be up to him to say whether he wants to be part of that project, or whether he wants something else : more money, bigger role or else. To me the best strategy for the Jazz are 10ish per, with an earlyish opt out maybe to entice KAnter into accepting it.

I've been wondering for the past couple of weeks, what do jazzfanzers consider a good deal for Enes? What's the max amount of money you would give him and feel good about it?

For me I think about 8m is the mark... I think anything above 10 would be horrible.

I think he'll get 9.

When I weigh Kanter's progress, I take into account the fact that he essentially two years behind Favors in experience (one year in age) and has played through injury as well. Favors had the advantage of playing a full year of college. Kanter sat out a year due to some bs.

Kanter also had the pleasure of coming to the NBA during a lockout season. He finally starts consistently, but is thrown into a new system where his offensive role had a dramatic shift compared to Favors.

Enes has shown his work ethic by getting cut last offseason. I have seen a lot of progression from him, and imho, trading him at this point would be a mistake. I have not been thrilled with him or Favors tbh, but I do not know if we can replace Kanter's skillset via trade, and I still think Kanter will ultimately be better than Favors. I have seen as much or more inconsistency on both ends from Favors, who has more limited offensive moves, and his jumper still seems inconsistent. I also think Kanter will better spread the floor in the new offense. I hope the Jazz lock him up for the long term.

other than a few inconsistent games recently, what in the world could you be disappointed about when it comes to Favors growth? what have you been watching?

other than a few inconsistent games recently, what in the world could you be disappointed about when it comes to Favors growth? what have you been watching?

Seriously. Anyone who is not at least mildly pleased with favors probably likes putting fishsticks in their mouth.

Haha. I have been watching the 20 pt games then the 6 pt, 8pt, 20 pt, 6 pt games. He lacks consistent aggression. Look at the box scores. It has happened all season.

Haha. I have been watching the 20 pt games then the 6 pt, 8pt, 20 pt, 6 pt games. He lacks consistent aggression. Look at the box scores. It has happened all season.

Favors shooting and fts appear to have gotten a lot worse too. Maybe it is his wrist? Maybe it is psychological.

Favors shooting and fts appear to have gotten a lot worse too. Maybe it is his wrist? Maybe it is psychological.

And yet his free throw % is better than last year (and is the second best of his career) and he has the highest FG% of his career by far.

Favors was out of rhythm last night - he looked like he was getting back on track in the second half. Wednesday against Cleveland he obviously wasn't himself. Whatever happened off the court must have bothered him a lot.

Just so you know, that lack of experience you pointed out for enes in universally known as experience he will NEVER be able to regain and will hinder him throughout his career. What a player he may have been if he had played euro ball or for KY.

Should point out he is not 19. ****, do you expect ingles to just keep getting better every year? I mean he hasn't a lot of experience.