What's new

College Football *2015*

Serious question (not trolling), but isn't throwing a punch immediate ejection in college and pros? I really don't think it matters where on the body you direct the punch. I was actually surprised to see the BYU player stay in the game once the flag was thrown. So did the refs miss a call on an ejection, or can you throw a punch and stay in the game so long as it's not thrown at somebody's head?

A flag was thrown, personal foul was called. Definitely should have been ejected. Once footage is reviewed, should be suspended for 1 game. NCAA ruling, not the obligation of the school.

Serious question (not trolling), but isn't throwing a punch immediate ejection in college and pros? I really don't think it matters where on the body you direct the punch. I was actually surprised to see the BYU player stay in the game once the flag was thrown. So did the refs miss a call on an ejection, or can you throw a punch and stay in the game so long as it's not thrown at somebody's head?
To start I'll say that the nut punch was ridiculous and stupid. The fact that every team does it (and yes, every team does do it, so to go out of your way saying BYU is dirty is just lame) is no excuse.
As far as the rule, it was my understanding that any punch is cause for ejection, but I'm not sure of that. It could be the ref didn't see it as a punch. Watching it from my couch, I was 99% sure it was, but I obviously had a different angle.

Lol @ ugli's obsession. Kinda cute, tbh.
BYU is the talk of the country for, you know, the actual game, but PAC12 fans like ugli can't get over a play that involved a dude's balls. Ugli, I imagine they have counseling for that kind of problem.
I just watched the game today since i was camping Saturday night and the announcers barely even discussed the punch.
They basically just said that he threw a punch to the thigh area and got caught and the ref made the right call and then moved on with the broadcast.

Same thing with the bronco demonstrations last week (running on the field with his hands up, crowd surfing, getting choked up about taysom), they seemed to really like Bronco showing so much emotion and said that it was warranted due to the type of game they had just been through.

I do not know any die hard Utah fans that still want to play byu. It's not about "being over the rivalry", everyone I know still hates byu.

It's for two reasons:

Utah has nothing to gain by beating byu because we are expected to and it would be byu's biggest game of the season, or their "Super Bowl" as Kyle Van Noy put it.

byu is a legitamitely dirty team with dozens and dozens of cheap shots over the years to prove it. This is heightened by the rivalry game aspect, and it's just not worth risking our players health.

The rivalry game will continue, but mostly because the big money (old people) donors want to see the game continue, not because the die hard fan base wants it. (I'm sure 99% of casual Utes fans want the rivalry game, but 99% of casual Jazz fans think the Jazz suck right now.)
I don't want the game to be played anymore and it has nothing to do with who wins or loses.
I hate when people act like assholes over football games.

I would love it if ute fans truly would stop caring about byu and byu fans would stop caring about the utes and everybody could just talk football and congratulate each other when either of the teams get a win.

I like happy, nice, kind, people and I like friendly discussions.
That's just me though

And Utah is not dirty? Don't be a self-righteous bitch.
The utah football team is perfect. They have never done anything wrong..... Really though, no team has ever done anything remotely dirty except for byu

Pretty sure it's not cool to punch people in their junk unless you are getting raped.
I agree. He was penalized though and byu was forced to punt and Boise got great field position and went down and scored and the dude who was punched did not ever even appear to be in pain. He jumped up and yelled at the refs and then stalked the sideline saying calling the byu dude names (I don't blame him)

No big deal really

Why do you pretend to be a "die hard" Ute fan?? It invalidates all of your arguments because we know you are not being sincere.

If you told the truth and said that you like the Utes, but also pull for byu as an in state team, then the things you say would carry more weight.

Being a die hard means you live and die by the team. Almost everything you have said over the years about Utah sounds like, "hey, I'm a Huge Utes fan, but I gotta give props to the cougs here."

Your angle is very obvious bro.
I'm a huge byu fan who always gives props to the utes and compliments their team and players often.

Some people have a rare ability to control their emotions and use critical thinking, logic, and even compassion when discussing/watching college football games.

Not at all. Read the thread this is what I wanted to happen. UCLA beating BYU is more meaningful if they're ranked. BYU probably won't drop out of the poll by losing to 10th ranked UCLA and will spend the following weekend in Michigan. Michigan beats BYU and jumps into the rankings at 25. BYU being ranked is good for Utah.

I think ucla will win pretty easily and knock byu from the polls..... I think the magic runs out in that game.

I think byu might beat Michigan though.... Will be a close game imo

Uh... A Utah player(Paul) hit the QB late and Ute fans in the UofU thread were unanimous that he shouldn't have done that. A BYU player hits a Boise St. player in the nuts and BYU fans in this thread are supporting it. Who's "douchey"?

Why did you say byu fans (plural) support it? Thriller is one person.

Be a little bit honest at least

I look at it from a different perspective. Once Utah moved to the PAC 12, things changed and it's not about Utah being "too good" or "above" the rivalry.

The fact is, Utah is one of the strange exceptions that has an in-state rival not in their conference, added with the fact that they have to play 9 conference games. South Carolina and Clemson are an example of in-state rivals in different conferences, but they both get the luxury of having 4 non conference games.

I am willing to move on from tradition if it helps Utah. From a recruiting angle, I'd rather schedule non conference games against teams from Texas (a series with Baylor is on the books in a few years), Florida, Cali, the Midwest, etc. I think it helps expand Utah's recruiting footprint and program exposure. Utah also wants to make scheduling 7 home games the norm each year. They're not there yet but playing the in-state schools with home and home agreements makes that hard to do.

Utah is still new to their conference and in the midst of forging new rivalries and new traditions. I think the overwhelming majority of Ute fans have enjoyed having Michigan on the schedule the past two seasons and would have no problems if that type of scheduling was able to continue. I'd also argue that Utah hasn't hurt their brand one bit the last 2 seasons. In fact, it's probably stronger than it's ever been and that's without you know who on the schedule.
Great post.
I get why utah doesn't really want to play byu.... They have enough challenging games on their schedule already built in every year.

Byu on the other hand is always trying to get a better schedule so of course they want to play a solid program like utah.

Over the course of a recent decade:

enhanced-buzz-14934-1379403518-11.jpg
Awesome

A recent decade?? LMAO

byu was the most penalized team last year.
So now you think false starts and off sides are dirty too just cause it's byu?

The chart was showing penalties of the more dirty variety and the frequency of those penalties.... Not total penalties like false starts and holding and pass interference. How did you not comprehend that yourself? You are smarter than that bro.

Of course you probably think when byu does a false start that it is dirty and should be a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct.

So because the Utes get called for penalties it's OK for BYU players to punch dudes in their junk? WTF can't you just say "yeah, he shouldn't have done that."? Why do you have to act like a child and say "but but but they do mean stuff too." Typical BYU/Utah county behavior. Denial and if that doesn't work point your finger.
Who besides thriller is encouraging and supporting the "nut" punch?

You are better than that bro.

Can You please just say that he should not have done it? If you do you'll be the first BYU fan in this thread to do so. Never mind I'll just wait for Fish to chime in. carry on.
He should not have done it. Obviously.
He cost his team 15 yards

Ummmm

I'd love for someone who has actually played football to weigh in.

Anytime you dive in late like that Boise player you're asking for a fight. Don't want to get punched in the nuts don't take a cheap shot diving in late.

As someone who has actually played and coached football, there are certain nonos. The Boise player broke the first nono rule. I would say that the BYU player obviously made a mistake. But i can't fault him for losing his cool. The Boise guy instigated it.

I love all these double standards Lil Brother fans hold BYU to. If their boys had been in the exact same situation they would be blasting Boise not their own player.
Horrible post thriller.
Btw the byu player didn't throw the punch cause the Boise player came in late.... He threw it cause the Boise guy wouldn't let go of the ball and kept trying to rip it away from the byu player. (Not nearly deserving of a punch, whether in the nuts or not)

Watching the replay, when the BYU player initially fell on the ball, there was a split second where it looked like he may bobble the recovery. If you actually have played football, you'd realize that when you're a player going full speed and you think an opposing player may bobble a loose football, you're going to dive at that ball in an effort to disrupt him and hopefully gain possession. By the way, the whistle hadn't blown when the Boise player dived on him. Now, it wasn't the best decision by the Boise player, I'll readily admit that. But at least he could make the argument that the ball was in play and he was going after it.

I also find it hilarious that in an effort to defend the BYU player's actions, you go out of your way to take a shot at Utah. What's the point? Did Utah's players or fans have anything to do with the play? Did Utah fans have anything to do with national articles last week that questioned BYU's reckless and questionable play at times? You want to run around the message board policing every Ute fan that dares mention BYU in any of their posts, yet you trip over yourself to fit Utah in whenever you can.
Good post. I agree.
There is no defense for the punch.

Yet I don't think byu is way dirtier team than all the other teams in college football either. I'm not being bias at all when I say that.

Byu does plenty of unsportsmanlike things just like lots of other teams. They also help their opponents up off the turf and give then taps in the butt/or helmet after good plays sometimes.... Just like all other teams.

They have good moments and bad moments like other teams.
Fwiw I don't think the utes are a dirty team.

Serious question
Do you somehow blame byu for the ref not throwing the player out of the game?
You are usually more level headed than most so I give you the benefit of the doubt but with posters like ugli I bet he blames the byu player for not volunteering to leave the game for what he had done

I think ucla will win pretty easily and knock byu from the polls..... I think the magic runs out in that game.

I think byu might beat Michigan though.... Will be a close game imo

I don't think losing to #10 UCLA will bump BYU completely out unless the score is like 52-7. They'll fall to like 25. At this point in the season I don't see too many teams having the resume to bump a team that has beat a P5 and the best of the G5(that was ranked) with their only loss to a top 10 team. BYU could beat Michigan but I don't think they will. Michigan has a very athletic secondary to neutralize BYU's WRs. I think Michigan controls the tempo and makes it physical on the ground type game. Michigan has the edge over BYU in that kind of game.

Why did you say byu fans (plural) support it? Thriller is one person.

Be a little bit honest at least

The first assumption would be that the more you're getting caught, the more you're probably doing that isn't getting caught. The second assumption is that the stuff that is blatant is many times worse than a little quarter punch to the nuts anyway. Not that guys always mean to do it, but if I'm choosing, I'll take the quarter punch to the nuts over somebody blowing me up on a late hit or something. Way worse.

^This sounds like excusing it to me,(edited post too). I swear there were more posts supporting but maybe I'm just off.