What does Walker's future hold?

• Will be better than Gobert

• Just as good as Gobert

• He's still a future All Star or DPOY

• Still a future 30+ MPG player

• Zubac level starter

• Bench player

Results are only viewable after voting.
9 points on 52% TS% is not the same as 9 pts on 63% TS%. Gobert's advanced stats were much better in his second season compared to Kessler.

Kessler has become quite inefficient for a big, because he insists on finessing every shot, instead of going up strong.
Ya like i said before, he has struggled this season in the small sample size injury plagued ever changing minutes/role on one of the worst teams in the league (though his rim defense seems to be better than ever and right near the top of the league).
In the bigger sample size with a more defined role and better team of last year his field goal percentage was only 72% percent and Efg was only 72.1%.

Also when I look at kessler advanced stats I see a stat under the heading "adjusted shooting/shooting %" and see a stat with the acronym TS which i assume to mean true shooting %. I show his rookie year at 70.2% and sophmore at 58.8%
SeasonAgeTmLgPosGMPFG2P3PeFGFTTSFTr
2022-2321UTANBAC741703.720.723.333.721.516.702.384.007.475.548.361.545.782.581.266.38715113292132661211442145.5116.4
2023-2422UTANBAC21527.582.625.154.589.516.588.220.092

Tried to copy and paste the stats and its ugly as hell so sorry for that. The 70.2 and 58.8 are the TS (again, i assume that means true shooting but could be wrong.) Career average 67.6 true shooting %. I think that makes him somewhat efficient for his career so far.

Anywho, i defended gobert for his entire time on the jazz when people were critical of him. I look forward to doing the same with kessler.

Just noticed is also a category for his last 5 games. In those games he is shooting 71.8 % from the field (would be better if he would stop taking 3's) So ya, his efficiency is trending up. Shouldn't take 3's though (I dont think gobert ever does but I could be wrong)

Last edited:
I will ask you this question though: Can you pull up a post of yours, or anyones, from goberts second season predicting that he would be a hall of famer? I think i was probably higher on gobert than anyone on jazzfanz early on and I didn't predict he would be a hall of famer.

26 minutes, 8 points, 9 rebound and 2.3 blocks per game. (gobert in year 2)

25 minutes, 9 points, 8 rebounds, and 2.8 blocks per game. (kessler in year 2)

Not seeing a huge chasm there. Whoever is hating on kessler this season should have also been hating on Gobert in his second season. Gobert made those haters look foolish. im hoping kessler makes these haters look foolish too.

First off, using basic stats to asses Rudy Gobert just isn’t it. His value has never been his basic box score production. His second season is a good example of this. He was freaking incredible his second year and that’s not reflected in the stats. Meanwhile, Walker Kessler is really struggling to make an impact despite similar basic numbers.

Secondly, the point is that Rudy Gobert is extraordinary and not typical. The reason he’s a hall of famer is because he is the exception, not the rule. If we compared everyone to the extraordinary case….everyone would turn into hall of famers. Rudy Gobert isn’t a good comparison point because he was significantly better, has better physical attributes, better mentality, and is also one of a kind.

If everyone developed like Rudy Gobert, there would be tons of them, but they don’t. There’s a reason why there’s only a handful of guys in NBA history like him.

First off, using basic stats to asses Rudy Gobert just isn’t it. His value has never been his basic box score production. His second season is a good example of this. He was freaking incredible his second year and that’s not reflected in the stats.
Weird he didn't play more.
Anywho, I defended Gobert from the critics for years and years. I look forward to doing it again for Kessler.

For the rest of your post I agree. Rudy was special. Heres to hoping Kessler is special as well. As it stands he is an amazing rim/paint protector (right at the top of the league) and efficient offensive player. He was on the national team after just his rookie year. I for one hope he has really good development like Rudy did. One things for sure, there is still a lot of Kesslers story yet to be written. Some want to write him off (just like some wanted to write Gobert off early in his career. bad hands. too skinny. no offense. etc etc) Not me, not yet.

Weird he didn't play more.
Anywho, I defended Gobert from the critics for years and years. I look forward to doing it again for Kessler.

For the rest of your post I agree. Rudy was special. Heres to hoping Kessler is special as well. As it stands he is an amazing rim/paint protector (right at the top of the league) and efficient offensive player. He was on the national team after just his rookie year. I for one hope he has really good development like Rudy did. One things for sure, there is still a lot of Kesslers story yet to be written. Some want to write him off (just like some wanted to write Gobert off early in his career. bad hands. too skinny. no offense. etc etc) Not me, not yet.

You must have forgot what happened that second season, and no, I am not gonna do anymore more homework for you. You can remind yourself what happened in Rudy’s second season.

If you want to project all time great improvement, go ahead I guess, but you can do that for any players with mundane stats. Kessler is not Rudy, and the main reason for that is because basically no one in NBA history is Rudy.

Really? Post their stats and lets see if they are almost the exact same. I bet steph has better stats during his rookie year than keyonte (probably better college stats too) same with mj vs brice.

Just because you spam the board with how much kessler sucks (like you did with Hendricks) doesn't make it true. Sorry but i still think he is and will be very good.
MJ averaged 0 and Steph averaged 0 at age 20. Brice and Keyonte future MJ/Steph!

MJ averaged 0 and Steph averaged 0 at age 20. Brice and Keyonte future MJ/Steph!
Incorrect. They were both playing basketball and playing it amazing at 20.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

You must have forgot what happened that second season, and no, I am not gonna do anymore more homework for you. You can remind yourself what happened in Rudy’s second season.

If you want to project all time great improvement, go ahead I guess, but you can do that for any players with mundane stats. Kessler is not Rudy, and the main reason for that is because basically no one in NBA history is Rudy.
More homework? Lol. You haven't done any yet.

Sadly I'm one of the few who actually show their work.

In today's Bizarre NBA News, Walker's FT accuracy is exactly the same as last season... 51.6%.

I guess we're finding out why he tries his hardest to avoid contact on offense and resorts to all kinds of finesse flip shots. He just doesn't want to go to the line (and he's succeeding – averaging only 1.3 FT's per game, down from last season's 2.3).

If we went to the playoffs, would this keep Kessler off the floor? 52% is absolutely putrid and every competent opposing coach would take advantage of it.

In today's Bizarre NBA News, Walker's FT accuracy is exactly the same as last season... 51.6%.

I guess we're finding out why he tries his hardest to avoid contact on offense and resorts to all kinds of finesse flip shots. He just doesn't want to go to the line (and he's succeeding – averaging only 1.3 FT's per game, down from last season's 2.3).

If we went to the playoffs, would this keep Kessler off the floor? 52% is absolutely putrid and every competent opposing coach would take advantage of it.
We can worry about that when we have a chance at the playoffs. gonna be a minute.

The Jazz's offense isnt good enough to warrant Hack-a-Kessler, but if it was, he would be played off. Dude would play like a puppy with a tail between his legs the moment he missed one after being fouled.

I agree, but it kinda matters in the long run, just like Sexton being hunted on D. It's really tough these days if your starting center is missing every other free throw.
The worst part is avoiding getting there to work on it. Most bigs like him who are this bad at FTs get a lot because they are aggressive dunkers.

Walker been playing great lately.
TU sitting around like, hmmm what negative thing could I post about the jazz? Oh I know, I will trash talk Kessler!

Pathetic

Walker been playing great lately.
TU sitting around like, hmmm what negative thing could I post about the jazz? Oh I know, I will trash talk Kessler!

Pathetic

Legitimate criticisms are legitimate criticisms. He's a horrible FT shooter who is scared to get to the line

Legitimate criticisms are legitimate criticisms. He's a horrible FT shooter who is scared to get to the line
Agreed. A great time to discuss it is while it's happening and causing problems.

Agreed. A great time to discuss it is while it's happening and causing problems.
It is happening and causing problems. We really can't afford our starting center to not put pressure on the defense at all. I get that Walker isn't a jump shooter, but he's not going up strong even when he receives the ball within 3 feet of the rim if there's a defender present. As discussed above, I believe the reason is that he doesn't want to get fouled. Kessler tends to get down on himself and he knows very well that he only makes half his free throws.

Zach Lowe just wrote that Jakob Poeltl – who, incidentally, has the same FT% as Kessler – is suffering from a similar fear of low post contact in Toronto. But Poeltl has mastered a push shot he can use instead of banging. Walker doesn't have anything like that yet. It leads to him lobbing too many hand grenades out from the post to his teammates when the clock is ticking down.

It is happening and causing problems. We really can't afford our starting center to not put pressure on the defense at all. I get that Walker isn't a jump shooter, but he's not going up strong even when he receives the ball within 3 feet of the rim if there's a defender present. As discussed above, I believe the reason is that he doesn't want to get fouled. Kessler tends to get down on himself and he knows very well that he only makes half his free throws.

Zach Lowe just wrote that Jakob Poeltl – who, incidentally, has the same FT% as Kessler – is suffering from a similar fear of low post contact in Toronto. But Poeltl has mastered a push shot he can use instead of banging. Walker doesn't have anything like that yet. It leads to him lobbing too many hand grenades out from the post to his teammates when the clock is ticking down.
You mean the dude that keeps having the best plus minus on the team having the best impact on winning is the problem? Lol.
He can be super effective and valuable without going to the line. As we have seen time and time again over the last two seasons.

There was once this dude named Shaq. Horrible free throw shooter. Decent player though.

Kessler is nothing like shaq but a player can't be super effective and valuable even if they suck at free throws.

Another player who sucked at free throws but was still pretty good who Kessler has more similarities to is a guy named Ben Wallace.

If Kessler is top 2 in the league at defending the rim and finishes lobs and gets offensive boards and putbacks, like he currently is and does, then he is awesome. Nuff said. That's what he needs to do. Improving his free throw rate and percentage is the cherry on top

We use to think Walker struggled because our guard play is bad, but Walker has a bigger negative impact on them than they have on him

Last edited: