What's new

Coronavirus

If instituting “govern me harder” policies like vaccine mandates and vaccine passports ends this pandemic, then so be it. We need solutions, not anymore of this childish “I want muh freedom without any responsibility” talk
If you'd like to show your support for the GMHD cause while also looking festive, there is a holiday themed GMHD shirt.

govern_me_harder_daddy_ugly_christmas_sweater-r3d7a0088e0d24c74b5a375b8c6ed2fc4_k2gm8_540.webp

One of if not the biggest problems with social media and smartphones is that it’s too easy to puke out to everyone the first thoughts that pop up in your head. There’s maybe wisdom in using smartphones less. If posting onto social media, use a computer. It might cause you to think for longer before you post something stupid.

I’m personally trying to use my phone less. Hopefully it results in better post quality…

You can not possibly be so dense as to think that shirt indicates belief in favor of required vaccinations.
I know that art is open to interpretation but of course it is in favor of the required vaccinations. It shows two vaccines in the left shoulder representing the first two doses of the mRNA vaccine, and one in the right shoulder to represent the booster. Support for vaccine passports is also proudly in the center of the piece with the QR code displayed prominently. The figure of non-specified gender and ethnicity is also donning a mask imprinted with a ball-gag to show the actions we take to keep those around us safe are more important than empty words. It is a strong, supporting message with a very tasteful touch of holiday whimsy that GMHD's can take pride in showing the world how they feel.

I know that art is open to interpretation but of course it is in favor of the required vaccinations. It shows two vaccines in the left shoulder representing the first two doses of the mRNA vaccine, and one in the right shoulder to represent the booster. Support for vaccine passports is also proudly in the center of the piece with the QR code displayed prominently. The figure of non-specified gender and ethnicity is also donning a mask imprinted with a ball-gag to show the actions we take to keep those around us safe are more important than empty words. It is a strong, supporting message with a very tasteful touch of holiday whimsy.
You're a full on...

3648b60de6bc3b23732a8fd67d8a7e22.gif

How you ever intended to be taken seriously is ruined. You have repeatedly ignored points made against your arguments, which to me is the biggest of big red flags. You do it over and over and over. You do not acknowledge the point made, you do not counter it, you don't account for it at all. You just move on to your next talking point.

I'm going to say this again and then I'm going to say it again after that. When people counter your argument you completely ignore that. You act like it never happened. Your next several posts will be non-sequiturs attacking tertiary points the other poster made while pretending the main point was never addressed.

Okay, here's the third go... You seem to intentionally misinterpret what other posters are saying. You ignore that they've made a solid argument against a thing you've said and act like they made a different argument. They haven't. An honest person, aka not you, would address the point they made. You are not engaged in honest discussion so you do not do that.

Have a nice life, troll. This will be the last time I acknowledge your existence.

Wow. That’s seriously your response?

And you wonder why people don’t engage you seriously on here? Sheesh.
Sadly, I don’t wonder. I know that is just how many people are. At the beginning of the pandemic there were people on the political right who didn’t believe in the severity of SARS-CoV-2 or of the safety of the vaccines. I could show statistics and break things down at the molecular level. It didn’t matter. They’d cherry-pick some article that echoed their preheld opinion, and insist on more data even after I had showed them the data.

Now it is the same. I can show raw data showing what Omicron does and doesn’t do. In response people cherry-pick articles that echo their preheld opinion and insist on more data even after I had showed them the data. The exact same people who a year ago were talking how important peer reviewed science is now rely on garbage papers that aren’t peer reviewed.

It is possible I’m wrong, but I don’t believe the hesitance to engage with me if they don’t agree with me in advance has to do with my posting funny shirts.

Everything I've seen seems to indicate Omicron is less severe.

I don't really think that has anything at all to do with daddy government or injections.

Once again, avoiding the actual point of things. Like a ****ing troll *** troll. Like an absolute piece of ****. Like a ****ing liar. A liar. A dishonest person who works to obfuscate the facts being discussed. An actual bad person. A bad person. A bad person.

This has nothing to do with factual disagreements because the person in question simply dodges facts, dodges arguments of facts made against their statements, ignores points made that they are not able to counter. This is not a political disagreement. This is not an annoyance based on differences of opinion. This is something that has to do with the way a person deals with reality. Some people exist, intentionally, in a false reality. When they discuss things with people who are operating with honesty, integrity and a willingness to take seriously the arguments made against them they see that as an advantage, because they are not inclined to operate according to those rules. They will ignore reality, they will ignore the arguments that destroy their fantasy.

Do you understand that points to RI being bad and not Omicron being bad?
Because Rhode Island was doing poorly, (and when those stats were noted, I am not sure what % was Delta, and what % omicron, but omicron must be dominant by now), and because it was believed omicron is more contagious and spreads easier, the fear was/is that an increase in infections caused by a more easily transmissible omicron would/will result is a greater stress on our hospitals. Omicron may be milder, and may not result in an increase of hospitalizations(intrinsically as it were) over what Delta produces, but increased volume of cases alone, due to ease of transmission, would lead to more hospitalizations at a time when that increase would be a huge problem for an overstressed health care system. That is how I Interpret the warnings, warnings both implied by our governor reimposing indoor mask mandates for one month, to be reviewed at the end of that month, and the warnings in the letter from the emergency room physician that the ER ability to handle all this is questionable, and we need to be aware this is the case.

I only stopped wearing masks indoors for a very short time after my second Moderna shot. Then Delta appeared, I went back to indoor masking and social distancing, and did not need the governor’s mask mandate to go back to masking.

But, all of the above is how I understand and interpret what is happening here. And I believe the above was in fact the point of my original comments regarding Covid and RI in late December, 2021, and that you chose to object to. Omicron can be very mild, and we all hope that proves to be the case, but it’s ease of transmission may still overwhelm our system. It simply remains to be seen, and I have understood that all along. I have understood this all along.

Because Rhode Island was doing poorly, (and when those stats were noted, I am not sure what % was Delta, and what % omicron, but omicron must be dominant by now), and because it was believed omicron is more contagious and spreads easier, the fear was/is that an increase in infections caused by a more easily transmissible omicron would/will result is a greater stress on our hospitals. Omicron may be milder, and may not result in an increase of hospitalizations(intrinsically as it were) over what Delta produces, but increased volume of cases alone, due to ease of transmission, would lead to more hospitalizations at a time when that increase would be a huge problem for an overstressed health care system. That is how I Interpret the warnings, warnings both implied by our governor reimposing indoor mask mandates for one month, to be reviewed at the end of that month, and the warnings in the letter from the emergency room physician that the ER ability to handle all this is questionable, and we need to be aware this is the case.

I only stopped wearing masks indoors for a very short time after my second Moderna shot. Then Delta appeared, I went back to indoor masking and social distancing, and did not need the governor’s mask mandate to go back to masking.

But, all of the above is how I understand and interpret what is happening here. And I believe the above was in fact the point of my original comments regarding Covid and RI in late December, 2021, and that you chose to object to. Omicron can be very mild, and we all hope that proves to be the case, but it’s ease of transmission may still overwhelm our system. It simply remains to be seen, and I have understood that all along. I have understood this all along.

Kent Hospital:

Rhode Island Hospital:

If these tweets reflect the situation before any Omicron surge is as yet in full force here, then I understand why the governor would reinstitute an indoor mask mandate, and why ER physicians would be very concerned.

Last edited:
You're a full on...

3648b60de6bc3b23732a8fd67d8a7e22.gif

How you ever intended to be taken seriously is ruined. You have repeatedly ignored points made against your arguments, which to me is the biggest of big red flags. You do it over and over and over. You do not acknowledge the point made, you do not counter it, you don't account for it at all. You just move on to your next talking point.

I'm going to say this again and then I'm going to say it again after that. When people counter your argument you completely ignore that. You act like it never happened. Your next several posts will be non-sequiturs attacking tertiary points the other poster made while pretending the main point was never addressed.

Okay, here's the third go... You seem to intentionally misinterpret what other posters are saying. You ignore that they've made a solid argument against a thing you've said and act like they made a different argument. They haven't. An honest person, aka not you, would address the point they made. You are not engaged in honest discussion so you do not do that.

Have a nice life, troll. This will be the last time I acknowledge your existence.
LOL. Well stated.

Kent Hospital:

Rhode Island Hospital:

So sad. All this suffering and people easily could’ve avoided it. How many times did they go to the grocery store this year? They could’ve taken 10 mins while shopping and gotten vaccinated.

I really feel for health care workers. They don’t deserve this. True, they went into the profession to help people. But so much of this is preventable by taking 10 mins to get a free vaccine at any grocery store. Like… it’s not hard.

Reactions: Red

I really want to go back to the movie theaters. I really enjoyed Bond. But I’ve been avoiding the theaters since omicron came out. I hope this wave comes and goes quickly. And this pandemic ends.

Reactions: Red
Paywall, but some can likely read it anyway…

I understand that point. You are correctly relaying the fears of higher transmissibility more than compensating for the lower severity to result in a greater number of hospitalizations that has been used as a justification by the government. I understand all that. My counterpoint to that argument is that we have real world data to show that fear is unfounded. Omicron has now been detected in roughly 100 countries and the hospitalization curves are a fraction of what they were for earlier variants. The hospitalizations in RI I showed you earlier indicating a peak of half the total hospitalizations, even with the much steeper cases curve, is typical. To continue with that earlier expressed fear now that we have data to analyze you have to pretend the data doesn’t exist because the data has proved that earlier cautionary fear to be unwarranted.

Everything I've seen seems to indicate Omicron is less severe.

I don't really think that has anything at all to do with daddy government or injections.
It wasn't you the comments were describing. You are not without your faults but lack of intellect and understanding new information aren't generally among them. Did you notice your admirer who cheered every time you posted a disparaging comment, that is every time except one?
TGS1.jpg

TGS2.jpg

TGS3.jpg

Very curious. What could it possibly be that didn't garner you a mark of adorement on that post? Here is a subtle hint:

TGS4.jpg

Everything everyone is seeing indicates Omicron is less severe. The GMHD's have to search hard to find new support for their fears Omicron is going to end us because real world events, not fears, not projections, not models, but real world events are all pointing to the inescapable observation that cost you a like.

..And welcome to my 'Omicron is less severe' bandwagon. Happy to have your support.

Last edited:
Two years later and we're still dealing with this. My company made the announcement this week that they're vacating their physical office space - we are officially working from home permanently. It will save some bucks on the bottom line and be more green-friendly, but the quiet silence of a house can be maddening on a Thursday morning.

People really hate to say things such as 'new normal', but this is a new normal whether they like it or not. And we only have ourselves to blame.

It wasn't you the comments were describing. You are not without your faults but lack of intellect and understanding new information aren't generally among them. Did you notice your admirer who cheered every time you posted a disparaging comment, that is every time except one?
TGS1.jpg

TGS2.jpg

TGS3.jpg

Very curious. What could it possibly be that didn't garner you a mark of adorement on that post? Here is a subtle hint:

TGS4.jpg

Everything everyone is seeing indicates Omicron is less severe. The GMHD's have to search hard to find new support for their fears Omicron is going to end us because real world events, not fears, not projections, not models, but real world events are all pointing to the inescapable observation that cost you a like.

..And welcome to my 'Omicron is less severe' bandwagon. Happy to have your support.
The thing is, all I said was the data was inconclusive and even pointed out that we just don't have enough data yet, even if I'm hopeful that some preliminary data is correct, and it is less severe, I also state (as we all appear to agree) that even if that is the case, as we all agree, that because Omicron is more contagious, it may still be an issue with overwhelming hospitals. You point out that the UK study was not peer reviewed, yet you point out other studies that say it is less severe, yet they are not peer reviewed either. If you read the South African study, even they admitted they only used data from patients that went to primary care providers, where the majority of hospitalizations when through their ER/National system, so they even admit their data is suspect.

The other issue with the studies, which because we lack good data, is how many Omicron patients have had Covid previously (as hospitals aren't generally testing for antibodies, just the virus), so we don't know if the less severity is due to some protection from prior infection, or not. Since Omicron breaks through vaccinated and those with immunity from prior infection at a much higher rate, you would still expect the immunity to provide additional protection, even if infections are breaking through. Since many studies show that up to 40+ plus COVID infections are asymptomatic, you would expect most people would have some protection from infection or vaccine at this point.

You take what you want and move forward with broken logic as you have throughout this thread, and probably your life in general. We all hope it is less severe, but you continue to use inconsistent logic to prove your arguments. I can't help it if everyone on this thread sees your continuous flawed logic.

Keep living in your bubble. I'll let you stay there alone.