What's new

Coronavirus

Just after Utah expanded vaccine eligibility they announced they are going to expand it again.

12% of Utah's population has received both doses.

Starting Monday, anyone 50 or over or people in certain jobs (medical, long-term treatment facilities, k-12 schools, etc..) and people 16 and over with certain underlying medical conditions will be eligible.

Take a look at the list and see if you qualify. They don't actually verify your underlying condition, you just have to affirm that you have a condition on the list.

I honestly think it's time open it up vaccine eligibility all the way. Reserve priority spots for people that are elderly or have conditions, but other than that open it up.
What we are being told here is it is a capacity issue in terms of having enough people to administer the shots, so they are going by priority to ensure they do not end up with endless lines and crowding, etc.

What we are being told here is it is a capacity issue in terms of having enough people to administer the shots, so they are going by priority to ensure they do not end up with endless lines and crowding, etc.
So I got the first shot on Tuesday. I went to the Salt Palace Convention Center location, which I would recommend to others, ****** parking and all.

They had a ton of volunteers and it was basically like an assembly line and I never stood in a line or waited at all. Was in and out in less than 10min. They were using their space and their manpower really well. I went at 2:30 and I'd say they were utilizing about 80% of their staff/capacity. Hopefully this is representative of how other locations in the state are operating because I was honestly impressed. If there had been twice the people there for shots it still would have worked, albeit with more waiting.

So I got the first shot on Tuesday. I went to the Salt Palace Convention Center location, which I would recommend to others, ****** parking and all.

They had a ton of volunteers and it was basically like an assembly line and I never stood in a line or waited at all. Was in and out in less than 10min. They were using their space and their manpower really well. I went at 2:30 and I'd say they were utilizing about 80% of their staff/capacity. Hopefully this is representative of how other locations in the state are operating because I was honestly impressed. If there had been twice the people there for shots it still would have worked, albeit with more waiting.
You don't look older than 50

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Do I look fat though?

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app
Really though, how were you able to get it?
If you don't want to say then that's fine too.

Btw, I got an email saying that our company will give you a 100 dollar gift card if you can verify that you got vaccinated. So definitely look into that

Really though, how were you able to get it?
If you don't want to say then that's fine too.

Btw, I got an email saying that our company will give you a 100 dollar gift card if you can verify that you got vaccinated. So definitely look into that

Well there are two answers. First is that all you have to do is say that something on the list applies to you. They don't verify, they just ask and if you say yes you're good to go. But second I'm fat, and that was one of the things on the list, so it's not like I lied.

Just Google utah vaccine and go to the website for more info.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app

Good info because I had a friend who went to the Maverick Center (is that where the Grizz play?) on the west side and they waited in their cars for 2+ hours to receive the vaccine. Yikes.

I wonder if we were there at the same time.
My wife and I also got our first shot Tuesday at the Salt Palace location.
I would echo Gameface’s comments - very well oiled machine there.
I have to wonder though - I heard through a friend who went there later in the week that they switched to Moderna. My wife and I got Pfizer.
We rescheduled to go back to the Salt Palace. Don’t they have to use the same vaccine for the booster a few weeks later?

I wonder if we were there at the same time.
My wife and I also got our first shot Tuesday at the Salt Palace location.
I would echo Gameface’s comments - very well oiled machine there.
I have to wonder though - I heard through a friend who went there later in the week that they switched to Moderna. My wife and I got Pfizer.
We rescheduled to go back to the Salt Palace. Don’t they have to use the same vaccine for the booster a few weeks later?
That's a good question
I would think the answer is yes but I haven't really heard that discussed before

Don’t they have to use the same vaccine for the booster a few weeks later?
I’m pretty sure your second dose will be the same as the first. I got my first, Moderna, at CVS, where they automatically schedule your second dose when you schedule your first. Now, they just opened up several more CVS locations here in RI, and will begin offering Johnson and Johnson at CVS next week. But, my second dose, March 22nd, will still be Moderna. The gap between doses is 3 weeks for Pfizer, 4 weeks for Moderna.

4. Your second dose should be from the same manufacturer as your first​

Doctors are already hearing from patients asking if they can get their second dose from a different manufacturer, often because they realize the other type of vaccine is offered at a location that's more convenient. But the CDC recommends against it: The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines “are not interchangeable with each other or with other COVID-19 vaccine products,” the CDC says. “The safety and efficacy of a mixed-product series have not been evaluated.”
The CDC does allow the mixing of Pfizer and Moderna shots in “exceptional situations,” such as when the vaccine used for someone's first dose is no longer available due to a supply shortage, or if it's unclear which vaccine they got for their first dose.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditi.../what-to-know-before-second-vaccine-dose.html

This seemed like a discouraging headline when I came across it yesterday. But, RI went from a rank of 50th, with respect to vaccine distribution, to 7th place most recently. And, when vaccination is by appointment, no long lines for hours at a time. It was very smooth at CVS. But, we are 47th in terms of the number of deaths, and number of infections, per 100,000 residents. Not good. We are still very rural in many areas, but where people do live in cities, the population is very dense, packed in like sardines. One way we differed, which this article highlights, is our state health department decided to target particularly hard hit communities. In other words, age or profession did not matter. If you live, or work, in the hard hit community, get in line. For example, Central Falls is a city of exactly one square mile. Heavily Hispanic. And, 16,000 people living in that one square mile!! And we targeted certain professions, health care workers being the most obvious. As a result, we were slower targeting by age, and of course many seniors fretted over this. But the pace has picked up.

The fall chill sent people indoors, where risk from the virus is highest, and the holidays brought people together. Rhode Island is tiny — you can traverse it in 45 minutes. But crammed into that smallish area are a million people, for a population density second only to that of New Jersey. If everyone in the world is connected by six degrees of separation, Rhode Islanders seem to be connected by maybe two.

Central Falls, the epicenter of Rhode Island’s epidemic, has a density of 16,000 people per square mile, almost twice that of Providence. “Just imagine, 16,000 people per square mile — I mean, that’s amazing,” said Dr. Pablo Rodriguez, a member of the government committee that guides Covid vaccine distribution in Rhode Island. “It doesn’t take much for the spark to create an outbreak.”

Last edited:
Got my second shot last weekend (Moderna)- kicked the **** out of me. Started feeling it about 12 hours after I was vaccinated.

I was off my feet for about 36 hours. Mostly aches and pains you would associate with the onset of a nasty case of the flu - tho only slight sniffles and a minor headache. Took Tylenol - did nothing.

Luckily I anticipated it so I took a personal day in advance and turned it into a 3 day weekend.

Got my second shot last weekend (Moderna)- kicked the **** out of me. Started feeling it about 12 hours after I was vaccinated.

I was off my feet for about 36 hours. Mostly aches and pains you would associate with the onset of a nasty case of the flu - tho only slight sniffles and a minor headache. Took Tylenol - did nothing.

Luckily I anticipated it so I took a personal day in advance and turned it into a 3 day weekend.

Do you normally have strong reactions to vaccines, such as the flu?

Wife went through the same thing - first shot was spotless, second shot kicked her arse for a few days.

I’m planning on getting mine on a Friday just in case when I’m eligible.

Everyone wants this over with - getting a vaccine is a personal choice, but I choose to do my part to get life back to what it once was.

Do you normally have strong reactions to vaccines, such as the flu?

No, although I've only gotten the flu shot about a half dozen times in my life.

I've taken it, not taken it and I got the flu with or without it - I couldn't discern a difference.

Wife went through the same thing - first shot was spotless, second shot kicked her arse for a few days.

I’m planning on getting mine on a Friday just in case when I’m eligible.

Everyone wants this over with - getting a vaccine is a personal choice, but I choose to do my part to get life back to what it once was.

Yes, same with me. First shot my arm was sore for about a day. Nothing unbearable though.

You guys are lucky. Canada lags so badly in vaccinations it is not even funny. We regular folks probably won't get vaccinated until August or September. BTW according to independent British study Russian Sputnik V vaccine showed 91.4% efficacy and is way cheaper than others and showed way less side effects than Astra Zeneca or Johnson and Johnson vaccine for example.
In Lithuania multiple teachers refused to get vaccinated second time with Astra Zeneca as so many of them had serious reactions ( lasting up to 3 weeks) it makes me wonder it that vaccine itself is that bad or one batch was tampered or faulty.

You guys are lucky. Canada lags so badly in vaccinations it is not even funny. We regular folks probably won't get vaccinated until August or September. BTW according to independent British study Russian Sputnik V vaccine showed 91.4% efficacy and is way cheaper than others and showed way less side effects than Astra Zeneca or Johnson and Johnson vaccine for example.
In Lithuania multiple teachers refused to get vaccinated second time with Astra Zeneca as so many of them had serious reactions ( lasting up to 3 weeks) it makes me wonder it that vaccine itself is that bad or one batch was tampered or faulty.

Well it's Russia so they're not exactly going to print all the side effects of Sputnik. Russians themselves are weary of it.