What's new

Coronavirus

Now do the common flu
I don't have that data, but I do have data that is nearly as damning that supports why I am so pro-vaccine but strongly against masks in schools and hybrid/distance learning.

Per the CDC, Utah averages 147 suicide deaths per year among those aged 24 and younger. Since the pandemic began there have only been 10 COVID deaths of people aged 24 and younger, or an annualized rate of 7 per year. If the Utah government had instituted draconian lockdowns that had saved every one of those 10 people, but had the collateral effect of raising the suicide rate by a mere 5% through loneliness, job loss, hopelessness, etc., then the Utah government would have killed more people in that demographic than it saved.

So far I've only seen preliminary data on suicides, but the early indications are that suicide over the past 18 months is up a lot more than 5%. It may be anecdotal, but I know 2 families who had High School aged sons commit suicide in the past 18 months while I don't know any with kids who needed to be hospitalized from COVID. I think we need to do whatever we can to get the suicide rate down. There needs to be more social engagement, not less. There needs to be more youth sports and more opportunities for kids to be kids.

The data on this pandemic is crystal clear in that this is not a pandemic of the young. Over 99.6% of all SARS-CoV-2 deaths in Utah are from those aged 25 and over. Only 0.4% are aged 24 and younger, and COVID deaths among those aged 14 and younger is a full order of magnitude lower than even the 24-year old's rate. If you could choose between being young or being fully vaccinated, choose to be young. When it comes to SARS-CoV-2, young people are safer than even fully vaccinated middle-aged adults. If you give aged-14 and younger kids a vaccine that has a 1-in-a-million chance of an adverse reaction that could kill them, then statistically you'll kill more than you save. The COVID mortality statistics among those aged 14 and under are that low.

In the overwhelming majority of stories pushing for stuffing elementary school kids into masks with mandates or closing schools use statistics of adults to make their case. The dishonesty of that tactic doesn't sit well. I'm a big fan of getting the best data and using that to drive policy. The anti-vaxxers are the worst offenders by far, but the covid-crazy authoritarians also seem happy to use that tactic.

Last edited:
I don't have that data, but I do have data that is nearly as damning that supports why I am so pro-vaccine but strongly against masks in schools and hybrid/distance learning.

Per the CDC, Utah averages 147 suicide deaths per year among those aged 24 and younger. Since the pandemic began there have only been 10 COVID deaths of people aged 24 and younger, or an annualized rate of 7 per year. If the Utah government had instituted draconian lockdowns that had saved every one of those 10 people, but had the collateral effect of raising the suicide rate by a mere 5% through loneliness, job loss, hopelessness, etc., then the Utah government would have killed more people in that demographic than it saved.

So far I've only seen preliminary data on suicides, but the early indications are that suicide over the past 18 months is up a lot more than 5%. It may be anecdotal, but I know 2 families who had High School aged sons commit suicide in the past 18 months while I don't know any with kids who needed to be hospitalized from COVID. I think we need to do whatever we can to get the suicide rate down. There needs to be more social engagement, not less. There needs to be more youth sports and more opportunities for kids to be kids.

The data on this pandemic is crystal clear in that this is not a pandemic of the young. Over 99.6% of all SARS-CoV-2 deaths in Utah are from those aged 25 and over. Only 0.4% are aged 24 and younger, and COVID deaths among those aged 14 and younger is a full order of magnitude lower than even the 24-year old's rate. If you could choose between being young or being fully vaccinated, choose to be young. When it comes to SARS-CoV-2, young people are safer than even fully vaccinated middle-aged adults. If you give aged-14 and younger kids a vaccine that has a 1-in-a-million chance of an adverse reaction that could kill them, then statistically you'll kill more than you save. The COVID mortality statistics among those aged 14 and under are that low.

In the overwhelming majority of stories pushing for stuffing elementary school kids into masks with mandates or closing schools use statistics of adults to make their case. The dishonesty of that tactic doesn't sit well. I'm a big fan of getting the best data and using that to drive policy. The anti-vaxxers are the worst offenders by far, but the covid-crazy authoritarians also seem happy to use that tactic.
My wife said that today the mayor of SLC is mandating masks at school. Which im not happy about (not all that upset about either fwiw). My wife is happy as she wanted my daughter to wear a mask to school anyways and i was against making her wear a mask.

An ex co-worker of mine died from covid last night. He was 47 years old. He was NOT vaccinated. Im betting he would be alive if he got vaccinated.

An ex co-worker of mine died from covid last night. He was 47 years old. He was NOT vaccinated. Im betting he would be alive if he got vaccinated.
Sorry to hear that. It is unfortunate how entrenched some have become in the decisions they’ve made. Even JazzyFresh the other day said, and JF correct me if I am misremembering, that he was close to getting vaccinated at one point. He was.

Now in post after post JazzyFresh writes how dangerous the vaccine is and how SARS-CoV-2 isn’t nearly as big a deal as some are making of it. I’m not condemning JazzyFresh for doing that because I know it isn’t convincing anyone on the fence that he or she shouldn’t get vaccinated. The only person JazzyFresh is convincing is JazzyFresh. He was close at one point, but he isn’t now because his posts are like a mantra that he’s repeating. “The vaccine is bad, the vaccine is bad, the vaccine is bad, covid is exaggerated, the vaccine is bad.”

Like I said, I’m not condemning JazzyFresh but JF, I do hope you change your mind at some point. SARS-CoV-2 isn’t anything you want to mess with if you haven’t primed your immune system with one of the vaccines.

Not exactly surprising but it’s frustrating nonetheless

Hopefully with the FDA approving the vaccine we can see more schools and employers mandate the vaccine. Anti vaxxers can stay at home in the fetal position unemployed. The rest of us need to move on.

It’s going to be another long and unproductive school year. Students are entering their 3rd year of disrupted education. Most of it due to the selfishness of their adult “leaders.” The failure of leaders, especially in red states, to get their populations vaccinated is going to severely disrupt another year of education.

I don't think the FDA approval of Pfizer is going to move the needle at all. Those that don't want the vaccine are distrusting of the government and specifically the FDA throughout the whole pandemic so they're not going to suddenly 180 and decide now is the time.

What a weird time to be alive.

I don't think the FDA approval of Pfizer is going to move the needle at all. Those that don't want the vaccine are distrusting of the government and specifically the FDA throughout the whole pandemic so they're not going to suddenly 180 and decide now is the time.

I think it'll split the "we aren't lab rats" type. Those that are honest with themselves will reconsider.

Those that aren't are just going to say it's for a different reason.

Overall? It'll bring utah up over 50%. Maybe to 56%(ten percent +)

It’s going to be another long and unproductive school year. Students are entering their 3rd year of disrupted education. Most of it due to the selfishness of their adult “leaders.” The failure of leaders, especially in red states, to get their populations vaccinated is going to severely disrupt another year of education.
No. Kids in Louisiana are just as resistant to SARS-CoV-2 as kids in Utah. Here are the official coronavirus statistics in Louisiana from the Louisiana Department of Health coronavirus data dashboard.

Louisiana-Covid-Dashboard.jpg

There have been 11,918 coronavirus deaths in Louisiana, but only 10 deaths among those under the age of 18. In Louisiana adults account for 99.92% of all coronavirus deaths while Louisiana kids make up 0.08% of coronavirus deaths. If kids in Louisiana are about to enter a 3rd year of disrupted education, it won’t be because of SARS-CoV-2 or vaccine hesitancy. It will be because the Louisiana government made the decision to disrupt the education. It will be because Louisiana leaders are willing to sacrifice the wellbeing of the children in their districts for their own personal political gain of maintaining this false image of keeping everyone safe.

No, but it will cause many companies that have been on the fence about requiring vaccinations to push over the hump.

I know some people that are quitting due to vaccine requirements, with no prospects of a replacement. It's crazy, especially because states are split as to whether you qualify for unemployment if vaccine refusal is the cause for termination...

No. Kids in Louisiana are just as resistant to SARS-CoV-2 as kids in Utah. Here are the official coronavirus statistics in Louisiana from the Louisiana Department of Health coronavirus data dashboard.

There have been 11,918 coronavirus deaths in Louisiana, but only 10 deaths among those under the age of 18. In Louisiana adults account for 99.92% of all coronavirus deaths while Louisiana kids make up 0.08% of coronavirus deaths. If kids in Louisiana are about to enter a 3rd year of disrupted education, it won’t be because of SARS-CoV-2 or vaccine hesitancy. It will be because the Louisiana government made the decision to disrupt the education. It will be because Louisiana leaders are willing to sacrifice the wellbeing of the children in their districts for their own personal political gain of maintaining this false image of keeping everyone safe.
If only there were exclusively under 18 years old people in schools. Unfortunately there are a bunch of adults in schools as well. Janitors, teachers, administrators, etc.
Plus those under 18 year olds come home and have family members who are over 18. So its not a total nothing burger for kids to get covid when you look at the bigger picture.
And again. Im on the side that thinks there shouldn't be mask mandates in schools. But I do have the ability to understand the reasoning behind worring about kids getting covid.

I would also add that if my daughter was one of those 10 kids who died from covid then I would be pretty damn upset about it.

Im in the camp that kids wearing masks, online schooling, shutdowns, etc does a ton of harm to mental well being and I dont want my daughter to have to wear a mask or do online learning. I can totally see why people want to do everything possible to prevent the spread of covid though even the spread in our under 18 population. It just sucks overall cause there is no perfect solution. By far the best thing we have currently to fight covid are the vaccines. Everyone getting vaccinated is our best bet and best chance and best course of action right now.

Last edited:
I can understand if you don’t want to get the vaccine because you’re hesitant about long-term effects, but if you won’t get it because you saw a Facebook video of someone screaming and claiming that spoons are now magnetized to them, you’re a ****ing idiot.

I can understand if you don’t want to get the vaccine because you’re hesitant about long-term effects, but if you won’t get it because you saw a Facebook video of someone screaming and claiming that spoons are now magnetized to them, you’re a ****ing idiot.
No argument from me.

even the long term effects one is weird to me. I mean I ate at arbys today. Maybe in ten years that french dip will give me autism so I shouldn't have eaten.
Yesterday I put neosporin on a scratch that my cat gave me. Maybe that neosporin will kill me in 8 years. I have seen any studies proving that it wont.
People literally smoke 2 packs of cigarettes per day and drink a bunch of beers but wont get the vaccine cause they worry about long term effects lol.
anything and everything that anyone consumes could possibly have some kind of long term adverse effect. There is no way to know. Hell, the air that you breathe when you go outside might be killing you. Probably should stop breathing, eating, drinking, getting tattoos etc. Really anything at all that you do to your body could have long term effects.

even the long term effects one is weird to me. I mean I ate at arbys today. Maybe in ten years that french dip will give me autism so I shouldn't have eaten.
Yesterday I put neosporin on a scratch that my cat gave me. Maybe that neosporin will kill me in 8 years. I have seen any studies proving that it wont.
People literally smoke 2 packs of cigarettes per day and drink a bunch of beers but wont get the vaccine cause they worry about long term effects lol.
anything and everything that anyone consumes could possibly have some kind of long term adverse effect. There is no way to know. Hell, the air that you breathe when you go outside might be killing you. Probably should stop breathing, eating, drinking, getting tattoos etc. Really anything at all that you do to your body could have long term effects.
eating out anywhere in the United States is definitely going to kill you lol As will the taste of your "coffee"

Is this data from the beginning of the pandemic, or specifically delta?

Because delta has a significantly higher rate of infection in kids. Look at Florida’s numbers by age. Delta is hitting young unvaxxed hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What long term effects? Why do people think this would have long-term effects? A vaccine doesn’t change anything. All it does is trigger a response from the immune system to attack specific viruses. I don’t understand why people think it blows up hearts, brains, and changes DNA. That’s… not how vaccines work.

Research clearly shows long-term (and short-term) effects from covid are far worse.