What's new

Crowder's gotta go...

When Rubio and Crowder play well, the Jazz are a completely different team. When these two don't play well, and that mostly comes down to shooting, the Jazz's offense implodes. Teams guard Donovan. They guard Ingles. They guard Gobert. Then they leave everyone else. It's up to Rubio and Crowder to make teams pay.

I just think he's better playing with other creators and playing off our best players. The starters aren't killing it, so it's not like there is excess fire power in that unit and he won't get used. The bench will get worse, but they suck already right now. Hopefully Korver lifts that unit.

I really like Favors. I super appreciate what he’s done to deliver 1st-round victories the last two seasons (we don’t advance either time without him). But I hope we find good value for him and that both parties find greener pastures. We need a 4 that can stretch and put the ball on the floor to attack close outs. We’re limiting so many gains right now without this ingredient.

If we can’t find or pay for one of these players, then Jae should get the start and we’ll roll along with his skill set until the position can be upgraded.

OP Jr, pls

He's not leading the offense by himself, or even trying to. He takes the shots he gets. The problem with the 2nd unit is more of a on-ball creation one.

And I think Royce would see steady minutes on most teams.
Royce is an offensive liability who only stays relevant to defensive-minded teams that are willing to ignore offensive productions. And I do believe we are that only team right now.
Same can be said about Dante and Udoh.

Last edited:
Royce is an offensive liability who only stays relevant to defensive-minded teams that are willing to ignore offensive productions. And I do believe we are that only team right now.
Same can be said about Dante and Udoh.
He hasn't been an offensive liability since the korver trade

I really like Favors. I super appreciate what he’s done to deliver 1st-round victories the last two seasons (we don’t advance either time without him). But I hope we find good value for him and that both parties find greener pastures. We need a 4 that can stretch and put the ball on the floor to attack close outs. We’re limiting so many gains right now without this ingredient.

If we can’t find or pay for one of these players, then Jae should get the start and we’ll roll along with his skill set until the position can be upgraded.

OP Jr, pls

Does OP give like 85% of what we think Khris Middleton would give us? To remove the uncertainty of FA and focus on other areas of need I'd be willing to forfeit the cap space.

Does OP give like 85% of what we think Khris Middleton would give us? To remove the uncertainty of FA and focus on other areas of need I'd be willing to forfeit free agency.
I’m really not prepared to compare OP jr and Middleton. In years past, I would have watched more of both on LP and had a decent (if limited) opinion. But my gut likes OP jr as much as Middleton... and might even hypothesize that his ceiling with us is higher. But you shouldn’t take my word for it.

Either would be a massive upgrade for the style that we seem destined to play. And either would likely give us the option of keeping Rubio, if that was best option available to us.

I’m really not prepared to compare OP jr and Middleton. In years past, I would have watched more of both on LP and had a decent (if limited) opinion. But my gut likes OP jr as much as Middleton... and might even hypothesize that his ceiling with us is higher. But you shouldn’t take my word for it.

Either would be a massive upgrade for the style that we seem destined to play. And either would likely give us the option of keeping Rubio, if that was best option available to us.

So my thought is we have a couple issues. Not enough shooting is one... two big style a contributing factor. The other is efficient offensive creation. I would love to see DM/Ricky paired with OP, Ingles, Rudy in the starting lineup and see if they can create more efficiently with space. If it works retain Ricky... if not find a better option in FA (with some maneuvering we could carve enough space after trading for OP Jr.).

I think the half season data point is important for the rest of our roster moves. I'm not sure Washington will move OP for just Favs and Thabo or Favs and Crowder, but if they dump him to Sacramento for expiring contracts on worse players I'll be disappointed. That's the only real suitor I see for OP that could offer big salary relief.

So my thought is we have a couple issues. Not enough shooting is one... two big style a contributing factor. The other is efficient offensive creation. I would love to see DM/Ricky paired with OP, Ingles, Rudy in the starting lineup and see if they can create more efficiently with space. If it works retain Ricky... if not find a better option in FA (with some maneuvering we could carve enough space after trading for OP Jr.).

I think the half season data point is important for the rest of our roster moves. I'm not sure Washington will move OP for just Favs and Thabo or Favs and Crowder, but if they dump him to Sacramento for expiring contracts on worse players I'll be disappointed. That's the only real suitor I see for OP that could offer big salary relief.
shooting and efficient offensive creation... that's just about everything on the offensive end...

so the problem is simple: we need offense

I don’t think we have enough to give up to get OP3. Expirings aren’t enough imo and any other assets we’d be willing to trade suck. Unless we trade one or two 1sts.

Is Favors, Exum and a 1st enough?

He hasn't been an offensive liability since the korver trade
we have played way more than just the two home games against the spurs and rockets since the Korver trade. And he definitely has been an offensive liability in the majority of those games.

OP Jr, pls

Very well said. I completely agree with all of this.

The Jazz most used lineups are the starting 5 and starters with Jae at the 4. Both have positive net ratings. Starting lineup specifically has been lockdown defensively (sub 100 DRTG) that we need to hang our hat on. I think the emphasis on Faves and Jae as the problem is misplaced.

Jae+Crowder+Oklahoma+City+Thunder+vs+Utah+1hW_qtGodoVl.jpg

11 Rebounds, 2 assist, 1 steal, 0 turnovers more than double the +/- of next highest player, 5/9 3 pt = 55.6 %

In a game we only won by 5 points

+/-
13 Jae
6 Joe
5 Exum
5 DM
3 Rudy

Jae+Crowder+Oklahoma+City+Thunder+vs+Utah+1hW_qtGodoVl.jpg

11 Rebounds, 2 assist, 1 steal, 0 turnovers more than double the +/- of next highest player, 5/9 3 pt = 55.6 %

In a game we only won by 5 points

+/-
13 Jae
6 Joe
5 Exum
5 DM
3 Rudy

The good thing about Jae is that even though his three has been hit and miss his overall FG % and FTR have improved this year.

I think he should start... I think we'd get good Jae more often... and we need good Jae more often.

The good thing about Jae is that even though his three has been hit and miss his overall FG % and FTR have improved this year.

I think he should start... I think we'd get good Jae more often... and we need good Jae more often.
I agree. I'd rather see Jae shoot 10 corner 3's than watch Favors shoot 1

I really like Jae for the role he plays and the unity he helps build with this team. I get the feeling he feels like he has found a home, and for our chemistry that is a great thing. Really he is a much more skilled and talented Booker when you think about it, and that has been a dream for me since Booker left us. I loved Booker and always wished we could have him but with a better feel for the game and a better outside shot. And I give you...Jae Crowder. BOOM!

I really like Jae for the role he plays and the unity he helps build with this team. I get the feeling he feels like he has found a home, and for our chemistry that is a great thing. Really he is a much more skilled and talented Booker when you think about it, and that has been a dream for me since Booker left us. I loved Booker and always wished we could have him but with a better feel for the game and a better outside shot. And I give you...Jae Crowder. BOOM!
If he could just rebound like Booker then we’d be set.