What's new

******* dads.

TroutBum

My Member's Premium
Contributor
i need to vent for a minute. I'm sick and tired of ******* dads. There is a guy in my family who has two sons (that we know of) and both of them are pretty good kids. They both get good grades, they both have good jobs, they both have good girlfriends, go to church, are respectful, and are all-around great people to be around. The mom is nowhere in the picture, so it's all up to the dad to figure things out. Well, he sucks at it. He is a FREAK about church stuff, you know, love thy neighbor, forgiveness, respectful worship, family is everything, etc., but you'd never know it by the way he treats ONE of his sons. It reminds me a lot of Denethor from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, now that I think about it. One son walks on water, can do no wrong, and receives insane amounts of praise. The other son, even though he does ALL of the same things as his brother, (grades, church, life, etc) gets the shaft from his dad. It doesn't matter what he does, he is always wrong. It doesn't matter how much good the kid tries to do, the dad is always there to tell him that he's inferrior to his brother. It doesn't matter how hard he tries to impress, he always fails in his father's eyes. It's sad and total ********. So about three weeks ago, the BAD son was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with some other kids he probably shouldn't have been with, and some **** went down. I'm not getting into specifics, but it ended up being pretty bad.

Here's the rub: BAD kid is claiming he didn't do anything wrong and that he was actually there trying to FIX the problem before it escalated to the fiasco it eventually led to. Remember, this kid is a solid citizen and as far as anyone knows, he's never been in a lick of trouble, always been a good kid, never lied, etc., and yet, his dad automatically assumes the kid is lying and has laid down the family hammer. The kid is only 17, but his dad threw him out of the house and flat out told him to his face that he's never welcome in his house again. He even went as far as telling the kid that either he legally change his name to something else, or he'd get a lawyer to do it. I wish I was making this up.

What you don't know is that the issue the BAD kid got himself into isn't even a crime. He wasn't arrested, he didn't go to jail, nobody was hurt, no property was damaged. Yet, here is Mr. High and Mighty, Mr. Families Are Forever, Mr. Forgiveness, tossing the kid out on his ***, with what, in my opinion, is no reason, pretty much destroying any hope of this kid having a future. To top it off, the dad is talking to EVERYONE, smearing this kids name thru the mud. I swear, you'd think they were bitter rivals from some long lost war -- it really is crazy. About two thirds of my family are backing up the dad, saying that what BAD kid did was indefensible and that he's lying about it. It makes me angry beyond words.

So, that's my rant. What do you guys think? Regardless of what this kid did, also assuming he may be totally innocent, is the dad justified in saying those things and acting like that? What would it take for you to snap and treat your son or daughter like that? I'm genuinely curious at your responses, because I think I'm in the minority here when I say, there is nothing short of murder or rape that would make me disown a child?

Are you an ******* dad?

Say something to the dad unless you are scared of him bro.

That would make me the blackest sheep in the family, and I'm already grey enough, thank you very much. Besides, do you really think he'd listen to me?

i need to vent for a minute. I'm sick and tired of ******* dads. There is a guy in my family who has two sons (that we know of) and both of them are pretty good kids. They both get good grades, they both have good jobs, they both have good girlfriends, go to church, are respectful, and are all-around great people to be around. The mom is nowhere in the picture, so it's all up to the dad to figure things out. Well, he sucks at it. He is a FREAK about church stuff, you know, love thy neighbor, forgiveness, respectful worship, family is everything, etc., but you'd never know it by the way he treats ONE of his sons. It reminds me a lot of Denethor from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, now that I think about it. One son walks on water, can do no wrong, and receives insane amounts of praise. The other son, even though he does ALL of the same things as his brother, (grades, church, life, etc) gets the shaft from his dad. It doesn't matter what he does, he is always wrong. It doesn't matter how much good the kid tries to do, the dad is always there to tell him that he's inferrior to his brother. It doesn't matter how hard he tries to impress, he always fails in his father's eyes. It's sad and total ********. So about three weeks ago, the BAD son was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with some other kids he probably shouldn't have been with, and some **** went down. I'm not getting into specifics, but it ended up being pretty bad.

Here's the rub: BAD kid is claiming he didn't do anything wrong and that he was actually there trying to FIX the problem before it escalated to the fiasco it eventually led to. Remember, this kid is a solid citizen and as far as anyone knows, he's never been in a lick of trouble, always been a good kid, never lied, etc., and yet, his dad automatically assumes the kid is lying and has laid down the family hammer. The kid is only 17, but his dad threw him out of the house and flat out told him to his face that he's never welcome in his house again. He even went as far as telling the kid that either he legally change his name to something else, or he'd get a lawyer to do it. I wish I was making this up.

What you don't know is that the issue the BAD kid got himself into isn't even a crime. He wasn't arrested, he didn't go to jail, nobody was hurt, no property was damaged. Yet, here is Mr. High and Mighty, Mr. Families Are Forever, Mr. Forgiveness, tossing the kid out on his ***, with what, in my opinion, is no reason, pretty much destroying any hope of this kid having a future. To top it off, the dad is talking to EVERYONE, smearing this kids name thru the mud. I swear, you'd think they were bitter rivals from some long lost war -- it really is crazy. About two thirds of my family are backing up the dad, saying that what BAD kid did was indefensible and that he's lying about it. It makes me angry beyond words.

So, that's my rant. What do you guys think? Regardless of what this kid did, also assuming he may be totally innocent, is the dad justified in saying those things and acting like that? What would it take for you to snap and treat your son or daughter like that? I'm genuinely curious at your responses, because I think I'm in the minority here when I say, there is nothing short of murder or rape that would make me disown a child?

Are you an ******* dad?

We're on the same page here. Nobody is perfect or be expected to be.

That would make me the blackest sheep in the family, and I'm already grey enough, thank you very much. Besides, do you really think he'd listen to me?

That dude is a ****ing moron, and I feel awful for that kid. If he was having trouble living on his own, I'd recommend one of the families to take him under their wing. To hell with maintaining a relationship with that garbage ******* dad. Seeing as it's Easter, WWJD, Trout. Think about that.

Give me the kid's name and number. I will adopt him, we will have fun, build him up, and then find a frivolous way of suing dad, bleeding him dry with atty's fees, and award the kid all dad's money.. or a settlement that the dad change HIS name, instead.

Or take him out behind the woodshed.

Or both.

**** that dad. If my father did that to me, I wouldn't even turn back even if he apologized. Burning bridges is not wise. Talk to the dad, punch him if you can and at the least talk to the kid from time to time and say he did nothing wrong. Go buy the kid a beer or something.

I actually mentioned to my wife that we should offer to let him into our home/lives, and she looked at me like I had three heads. She firmly believes he did those things and is lying about it; she is of the same mind as the father.

I'm telling you, either I'm missing something huge, or everyone I know and love is a hypocritical pooh finger.

I actually mentioned to my wife that we should offer to let him into our home/lives, and she looked at me like I had three heads. She firmly believes he did those things and is lying about it; she is of the same mind as the father.

Wut, a 17 year old trying to escape trouble that an entire community is bestowing up him by stretching the truth for his own protection? Oh gosh, how dare he. What a lost cause *rolls eyes*

I mean, put yourself in that kid's shoes for one ****ing second. (not speaking to you or your wife Trout-- just to all of those who harshly critique the child's actions in general).

I'm telling you, either I'm missing something huge, or everyone I know and love is a hypocritical pooh finger.

Definitely the 2nd. Swaths of insecure ****s who need to destroy others to validate their own sinful lives.

I don't mean a full on confrontation, but I think it would be pretty maddening to watch all this going on without at least calmly saying something along the lines of, "I really disagree, and I've always seen my role as a parent to be there for my kids no matter what instead of them being in my life to make me proud. In fact, the less proud I feel of them, the more they probably need me to love them in that moment l. My love for my children has no off switch, I've given them a piece of my heart."

Say something like that, calm and classy, and maybe it will stop some of the group think going on in the family.

Growing up can be rough. Would suck to have bad parents.

That dude is a ****ing moron, and I feel awful for that kid. If he was having trouble living on his own, I'd recommend one of the families to take him under their wing. To hell with maintaining a relationship with that garbage ******* dad. Seeing as it's Easter, WWJD, Trout. Think about that.

Having a relationship with an ******* dad isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I haven't spoken to my dad in years, and I've never been happier. My mom is awesome though.

Having a relationship with an ******* dad isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I haven't spoken to my dad in years, and I've never been happier. My mom is awesome though.

I agree-- but I feel like the kid needs some adult support & it's a bummer he has zero people who love him in his life

Edit: my dad isn't nearly, NEARLY as bad as this pile of excrement-- but he's no angel either, and I don't really have too superb of a relationship with him.

My mom is my best friend, tho.

I did some things at 18 that put me at odds with my entire family(nearly landed me in jail) but it was a turning point for me. Up until that point I would have sold my dead grandmother for a candy bar. I was an absolute pile of ****(liar, unethical, thief) but the shame and disrespect I brought to my family, made me have a hallelujah moment. I hope this kid is able to find that for himself, with or without the ******* "dad". Keep us posted!

So, this is crazy, but I just got word that the kid was lying, and he finally admitted to it. All of a sudden, everyone is like, "See, I told you." and I'm starting to feel like a real idiot.

So, this is crazy, but I just got word that the kid was lying, and he finally admitted to it. All of a sudden, everyone is like, "See, I told you." and I'm starting to feel like a real idiot.

Why, because you are you and see both sides? Maybe the kid just wanted to not sleep in a dumpster tonight.

Is it possible the father believes or knows the kid isn't his biologically?

I've seen a lot of step kids treated completely differently than the step parent's biological children. Often times the spouse who is the biological parent even starts buying in on the problem child line laid down by the step parent. And of course, being tagged as the problem child and being treated differently often leads to actual changes in behavior towards the image being drawn.

What did he do? It's hard to imagine it being super bad, yet not involving the police.

Why, because you are you and see both sides? Maybe the kid just wanted to not sleep in a dumpster tonight.

this. And, quite frankly, him committing that act doesn't really make me feel any less sorry for him.

Who woulda thunk that the kid would be involved in shady crowds that treat him well, and give him attention-- instead of comparing him to his darling brother every ****ing second of the day.