What's new

Dame Time

The offer has to be comparable. Teams have absolutely benefited by playing nice… OKC for example.

NBA is an ecosystem and burning guys that treated you well won’t help you. Relationships matter.
OKC wasn't playing nice. They straight up robbed the clippers blind for George to the point that they hindered the clippers ability significantly to build a championship caliber team. That should always be the goal when trading your star.

OKC did right belt CP… he played along… they got a pick while he picked his next spot. The following year Al Horford played along and they got a pick from him.

Before that they played nice with PG and told him if he signed an extension and wanted out later they’d oblige. They got a haul in that deal but he picked his spot too.

You tell Dame sorry not sorry and you will have wrecked some trust. You can’t get screwed in the deal but you leverage the media and the idea that you will do whatever you want to get the most out of Miami.

The offer has to be comparable. Teams have absolutely benefited by playing nice… OKC for example.
What?

OKC got the haul of the century by "playing nice" when Paul George demanded a trade.

If the Clippers were offering the same garbage Miami is, I don't think OKC would have been so eager to "play nice".

OKC wasn't playing nice. They straight up robbed the clippers blind for George to the point that they hindered the clippers ability significantly to build a championship caliber team. That should always be the goal when trading your star.
They were playing nice too… you can do both.

What?

OKC got the haul of the century by "playing nice" when Paul George demanded a trade.

If the Clippers were offering the same garbage Miami is, I don't think OKC would have been so eager to "play nice".
If it was all they had I think they’d work it out. Part of the way you get signatures and cooperation with your players is by promising to do right by them. They happened to time the market quite well.

Injuries hindered them more than any trade did

OKC did right belt CP… he played along… they got a pick while he picked his next spot. The following year Al Horford played along and they got a pick from him.

Before that they played nice with PG and told him if he signed an extension and wanted out later they’d oblige. They got a haul in that deal but he picked his spot too.

You tell Dame sorry not sorry and you will have wrecked some trust. You can’t get screwed in the deal but you leverage the media and the idea that you will do whatever you want to get the most out of Miami.

Trading for guys as a salary dump and them playing for you isn’t playing along. They got assets to take them and assets to trade them. They did nothing at for them at all except trade them to teams who they got assets from.

They were playing nice too… you can do both.
If playing nice were part of the gig, Ainge would have been toast long ago. You might burn bridges with one or two teams but everyone is acting in self interest and willing to deal with anyone that says what they want.

Portland has been playing plenty nice with Lillard by agreeing to pay him $63m at age 36. If he had taken a pay cut or something out of loyalty or to help making it easier to build around him I could see Portland owing him, but as it stands I don’t think they do. I like Lillard but demanding to be traded to Miami is disappointing and if I were Portland I’d just try to get the biggest return, regardless of which team offers it.

I think we all know OKC is where NBA player on the back nine go to sit **** out for awhile and reconsider life. Every league has a team that is there for rebranding. The goal should be for the Jazz not to become that team.

Portland has been playing plenty nice with Lillard by agreeing to pay him $63m at age 36. If he had taken a pay cut or something out of loyalty or to help making it easier to build around him I could see Portland owing him, but as it stands I don’t think they do. I like Lillard but demanding to be traded to Miami is disappointing and if I were Portland I’d just try to get the biggest return, regardless of which team offers it.

This. He’s a hot commodity. Just not for the Jazz plz

Look, if Dame wants to get to Miami, all he has to do is open up his options to force Miami to give their best offer. If he has no use for Scoot, why should he care about the Heat retaining Jaquez? I think the Blazers screwed their build in quite a few ways, but I would bet that most of those decisions were agreed to by Dame when they happened.

Blazers need to do what is best for the Blazers, just like the Jazz did what was best for the Jazz when the time came with both Gobert and Mitchell. There aren't any long term repercussions from what the Jazz did last year. Everybody agrees they did the right thing universally.