What's new

Dame Time

I think Cronin and Ainge could get together to **** Riley. If there is any other place Dame wouldn’t mind playing I’m sure it’s Utah where he literally said he would like to play for before and called home.
Jazz are gonna try to swoop in at the 11th hour. I just hope it’s reasonable or the Blazers pass anyway.

Me not knowing wtf is going on:

the-simpsons-abe-simpson.gif

I think if Danny were to trade for Dame, he'd also need to have another move or two lined up that would "make Dame happy to come to Utah." Again, think of Boston acquiring Ray Allen before KG agreed to be traded to Boston back in the day. Seems like the Jazz would need a high-caliber wing from somewhere.
Okay, such as?

I think taking Grant and Dame as a package is actually the closest answer to the question. Unfortunately, that can’t happen until December 15th at the soonest. Unless there’s something that can be done about the signed player trade moratorium (but Clarkson can’t be traded until January anyway).

The difference is one is within the rights of the teams stipulated by the CBA - to trade players, to cut players, etc. with all of the ensuing repercusions for it. The other is NOT. In fact, if I'm not mistaken the NBA actually has a rule AGAINST players asking for trades and there are fines within the CBA for such behavior(at least this was in the previous CBA). When a player signs with a team they do it with the express understanding that they can be traded within the rules of the CBA, unless they have a no trade clause, which Dame does NOT have.
I had a response but it dropped into the netherworld... tldr... you are technically correct... I just don't like the fact pattern of "you signed a contract to play HERE... so tough" when in reality it that he signed a contract to play basketball... a contract they will gladly transfer over to another club for great value.

I think it’s worth considering that the NBA might just be too athletic and too skilled now for selling the farm for one superstar. The rules have helped shooters so much. The league is just so fast and the season is so long. You need to have depth. I think teams are hesitant to selling the farm for DLil. We all saw what happened to Phx last year… or other star dominated teams like the Nets, Clippers, Sixers for the last few years.

I had a response but it dropped into the netherworld... tldr... you are technically correct... I just don't like the fact pattern of "you signed a contract to play HERE... so tough" when in reality it that he signed a contract to play basketball... a contract they will gladly transfer over to another club for great value.
They will... and they are trying to. But Lillard and his representation are trying HARD to hurt the value they will get in return by simulating a "no trade" clause they actually didn't sign in his contract just a year ago. Because this is practically what this is. It's a de facto "no trade" clause. Right now Dame and his agent are cutting off the trade market for his services, limiting it to just 1 team and thus lowering and limiting the price Portland can get. If I'm Portland I just keep him. He has 3 years left on that contract. They should be in no hurry to trade him. Just keep him until he's ready to at least allow Portland to conduct a normal negotiation with a few teams.

Me not knowing wtf is going on:

the-simpsons-abe-simpson.gif
Dame requested a trade and no one likes him anymore. He has a fiduciary duty to deliver his services to a team that secretly is trying to move on. He is bullying a hard working American that came across billions through her efforts and is a stand up human. We feel awful for the fans in Portland... fans that we mock when we beat them but truly feel sorry for right now. We do not want to see a guy that has put in a years and years of his life into the sport he loves get a chance to fulfill his lifelong dream.

When you get stars on the team and look like a contender, you get good players to fill out the roster for cheap. I f we look the part others will join in

They will... and they are trying to. But Lillard and his representation are trying HARD to hurt the value they will get in return by simulating a "no trade" clause they actually didn't sign in his contract just a year ago. Because this is practically what this is. It's a de facto "no trade" clause. Right now Dame and his agent are cutting off the trade market for his services, limiting it to just 1 team and thus lowering and limiting the price Portland can get. If I'm Portland I just keep him. He has 3 years left on that contract. They should be in no hurry to trade him. Just keep him until he's ready to at least allow Portland to conduct a normal negotiation with a few teams.
Just an FYI... he was not eligible for a NTC per Bobby Marks. It can't be included in an extension. Beal got it on a completely new contract. If it could have been included... I bet Dame would have gotten it. That's purely hypothetical though.

I think if Danny were to trade for Dame, he'd also need to have another move or two lined up that would "make Dame happy to come to Utah." Again, think of Boston acquiring Ray Allen before KG agreed to be traded to Boston back in the day. Seems like the Jazz would need a high-caliber wing from somewhere.

I don’t think so. I think Danny will do it if he thinks it’s good value. I don’t think it’s dependent on another deal.

Just an FYI... he was not eligible for a NTC per Bobby Marks. It can't be included in an extension. Beal got it on a completely new contract. If it could have been included... I bet Dame would have gotten it. That's purely hypothetical though.
Fair. Still doesn't change the fact he doesn't have it. And he chose by his free will to sign that extension without that clause.

Also... part of the reason Danny got so much is he was threatening just to keep Rudy and Don... there has been no real talk there of Portland going that route. They knew and wanted to head this way... but maybe thought Dame would be a better partner in the transaction.

Fair. Still doesn't change the fact he doesn't have it. And he chose by his free will to sign that extension without that clause.
So... if he doesn't take the extension and hits FA and bounces is that better or worse... or say he has one year left on his deal now... do the returns for Portland get any better. Look they both jumped into bed freely and made a contract baby... risk on both sides. I'm just not gonna kill the guy that gave them 11 years of service and told them "build around me I want to win here" and then they drafted guard after guard and just didn't cash in the assets they needed... even if it didn't make them a surefire contender.

Also... part of the reason Danny got so much is he was threatening just to keep Rudy and Don... there has been no real talk there of Portland going that route. They knew and wanted to head this way... but maybe thought Dame would be a better partner in the transaction.
They should leak to Woj or their version of Tony Jones - "Portland have halted all trade negotiations for Dame Lillard. They are now moving towards trying to retool around him and compete with Lillard and Scoot Henderson as the keystones of the franchise" ... or something of the sort. Pretty much what the Jazz said after the Rudy trade - "oh we are actually going to retool around Mitchell"...

So... if he doesn't take the extension and hits FA and bounces is that better or worse... or say he has one year left on his deal now... do the returns for Portland get any better. Look they both jumped into bed freely and made a contract baby... risk on both sides. I'm just not gonna kill the guy that gave them 11 years of service and told them "build around me I want to win here" and then they drafted guard after guard and just didn't cash in the assets they needed... even if it didn't make them a surefire contender.
We don't know what the Heat have actually put on the table. Some sources seems to be implying they have not even put all the picks they have in that offer, which I would find insulting if I was Portland. We can play hypotheticals all we want and we wouldn't know what the trade value would be for him in all those difference scenarios. What we know is what's happening now...

We don't know what the Heat have actually put on the table. Some sources seems to be implying they have not even put all the picks they have in that offer, which I would find insulting if I was Portland. We can play hypotheticals all we want and we wouldn't know what the trade value would be for him in all those difference scenarios. What we know is what's happening now...
Right... which then another team could outbid them easily and try to call Dame's bluff. The general theory is that the Heat can't even put a competitive offer on the table... and they can with some small maneuvers. They will try and keep all they can but eventually I think they relent.

I also think this was part of the reason Donovan wasn't super pissy with us for not sending him to NY... they had a lot of chances to offer up their best package and decided to thump their chest instead. If we offer two firsts or something and it gets accepted then I think you can turn to Dame and say "they must not have wanted you that bad".