What's new

Dame Time

When you get stars on the team and look like a contender, you get good players to fill out the roster for cheap. I f we look the part others will join in
Doesn’t that depend on the market? I don’t recall many good players jumping at the chance to put us over the top at any of our peaks. And I’ve been a fan of the franchise since the early 90s.

If I were the Jazz and I decided that I liked Dame, considering his age and current contract, I'd just go ahead and trade for him. The problem that's emerging in the league is no longer just that All NBA-caliber free agents really only want to go to LA, Miami and NY. The problem is that even All NBA-caliber players who are under contract are asking to be traded to LA, Miami and NY.

So if you're a team like the Jazz, what do you do? You draft a high-caliber young player, feature him and develop him into an All Star. You give him his second contract, and somewhere in the middle of fulfilling that contract he says he wants to be traded to a glamor market. (I'm talking about Donovan Mitchell here, rather than Dame.) If All Star and All NBA-caliber players who aren't from Europe are all going to ask to be traded to certain cities, then the only recourse for a team like the Jazz is to go ahead and trade for them whether they like it or not.

Ainge can just disregard what everyone thinks and decide he has an opportunity to trade for a perennial All Star who is under contract for the rest of his productive career. In addition, his trade market is being made artificially soft by his agent who is pushing for Miami or bust. That makes him even easier to trade for.

My best guess is Danny is just waiting on this whole thing to play out in the media so hopefully Dame/Agent continue to look like the bad guys and Portland starts to get mad at Miami for controlling things. Then at the peak of Portland feeling emsaculated by Pat Riley/Dame's Agent, Danny swoops in with just a marginally better offer and gets Dame.

My best guess is Danny is just waiting on this whole thing to play out in the media so hopefully Dame/Agent continue to look like the bad guys and Portland starts to get mad at Miami for controlling things. Then at the peak of Portland feeling emsaculated by Pat Riley/Dame's Agent, Danny swoops in with just a marginally better offer and gets Dame.
Danny is opportunistic so would not surprise me if things drag way out and get ugly.

Pretty much has to do what Altman did when we broke negotiations with NYK, when they decided they had ALL DA LEVERAGES and sent insulting counter offers...

Dame really in a lose, lose, lose situation.

Stay loyal and never win in portland... he's a career loser.

Don't sign the extension so he can make the team do deals like Lebron - no FA sign there cuz he is wavering or they are afraid to commit assets to a deal cuz he can just walk for nothing.

Sign and extension and ask them to build around you... when the best they can do is Jerami Grant and a bunch of guards in their early 20s you ask to go somewhere you can win - Eff outta here... you signed a contract.

And good hell imagine if he gets to FA then picks his destination... then he's a bandwagon dude.

I mean I ain't gonna cry for him cuz I get that he plays a game we all love and gets paid handsomely but damn... media and fans really want dudes to make horrible business decisions to have some say in the matter. Only way to make people happy is to win where you are drafted and pray the organization you work for doesn't suck.

Don't sign the extension so he can make the team do deals like Lebron - no FA sign there cuz he is wavering or they are afraid to commit assets to a deal cuz he can just walk for nothing.

Sign and extension and ask them to build around you... when the best they can do is Jerami Grant and a bunch of guards in their early 20s you ask to go somewhere you can win - Eff outta here... you signed a contract.

And good hell imagine if he gets to FA then picks his destination... then he's a bandwagon dude.

I mean I ain't gonna cry for him cuz I get that he plays a game we all love and gets paid handsomely but damn... media and fans really want dudes to make horrible business decisions to have some say in the matter. Only way to make people happy is to win where you are drafted and pray the organization you work for doesn't suck.

He actually is one of the most universally well liked superstars in the league. Nobody blamed him for asking out and pretty much everyone cheered him for finally doing it.

Now trying to force your way to one single team and force your team to take a lesser package will make people not like you understandably so.

I dont think anyone dislikes Dame all that much, he's just corny. All the grind talk and staying loyal then you do a trade demand with a single team. It's corny any way you slice it.

He actually is one of the most universally well liked superstars in the league. Nobody blamed him for asking out and pretty much everyone cheered him for finally doing it.

Now trying to force your way to one single team and force your team to take a lesser package will make people not like you understandably so.
I get that. I think its a lot of things. If he tried to force his way to Milwaukee people might be more cool with it... Miami is insufferable.

I'm just very pro-Dame here and I get what he is seeing... its a perfect fit for those guys and with where he is I would be a bit picky. If Miami are being complete assholes about the whole thing and Dame stays dug in... I may change my stance. I think Dame would end up reporting and giving it a go in Brooklyn, Boston, and maybe here. But it clearly took a lot for him to ask out... so if you are burning that bridge I would try not to settle for second best.

Lose lose lose situation? Maybe reputation wise, but for nearly a quarter BILLION dollars over the next four years I'm sure we would all love to be lose like that. In sports money always comes first, then championships, then everything else.

Last edited:
Also the whole trading star dynamic sucks ***.

It's not in a star's interest (in terms of winning) for them to create a bidding war. The more expensive they are, the more the team they are going to has to give up, handicapping their ability to improve.

Dame knows that and it's why he isnt doing a multiple teams list. HE doesnt want a bidding war. He wants Miami to give up the bare minimum acceptable amount.

Lose lose lose situation? Maybe reputation wise, but for nearly a quarter BILLION dollars over the next four years I'm sure we would all love to be lose like that. And yes in sports money always comes first, then championships, then everything else.
pretty sure I addressed that part.

Also the whole trading star dynamic sucks ***.

It's not in a star's interest (in terms of winning) for them to create a bidding war. The more expensive they are, the more the team they are going to has to give up, handicapping their ability to improve.

Dame knows that and it's why he isnt doing a multiple teams list. HE doesnt want a bidding war. He wants Miami to give up the bare minimum acceptable amount.
It does suck... I have more of a problem when its Ky doing it for like the 4th time after putting a team together that he hand crafted.

I just think in this scenario the narrative is a bit skewed... Its seems like everyone is screaming "stars have to be stopped from demanding a deal... this is horrible for the league". If every star gave 11 years and another offseason to build around them I think the league would be in an awesome place. Portland isn't holding up their part of the deal. They were either going to maybe lose a little in trades for their young guys and picks while building around Dame or lose a little when they move Dame to rebuild... they kinda chose this imo.

I don't think Dame necessarily cares all that much if Miami gives up picks to get him or even prospects... I think he simply want to get to Miami with as much win now talent as possible still intact.

It does suck... I have more of a problem when its Ky doing it for like the 4th time after putting a team together that he hand crafted.

I just think in this scenario the narrative is a bit skewed... Its seems like everyone is screaming "stars have to be stopped from demanding a deal... this is horrible for the league". If every star gave 11 years and another offseason to build around them I think the league would be in an awesome place. Portland isn't holding up their part of the deal. They were either going to maybe lose a little in trades for their young guys and picks while building around Dame or lose a little when they move Dame to rebuild... they kinda chose this imo.

I don't think Dame necessarily cares all that much if Miami gives up picks to get him or even prospects... I think he simply want to get to Miami with as much win now talent as possible still intact.

I don’t think that’s the issue. Again, it’s just the trying to force his way to one team that’s the problem. Plus it being a big market doesn’t help as well.

The precedent of doing this with 4 years left on your deal is just massive.

I don’t think that’s the issue. Again, it’s just the trying to force his way to one team that’s the problem. Plus it being a big market doesn’t help as well.
I think some would still have a problem if the list had 10 teams.

The precedent of doing this with 4 years left on your deal is just massive.
KD already did it. Extensions are two sided... the Dame extension gave certainty to the org and other players that he'd be there if they made moves around him... they did not.

KD did the same for Brooklyn... the follow through moves didn't happen... he asked out.

If he had one year left the offers would be worse.