What's new

Dante Exum repentance thread

it is a little funny, and indicative of how far our expectations have dropped, that people are calling for crow and humble pie just because Dante managed to string together some OK games (and 1 great one in a loss). I think what we DO KNOW is that we DON'T KNOW what he is, good or bad.

I agree it's not quite repentance time... would love to be called to repentance though if he becomes amazing. He's a spunky role player right now with high hopes. If he's our starter next year it's a pretty big step back from Hill.

I like what I'm seeing right now but every doubt I had has been totally justified based on how he was playing.

I agree it's not quite repentance time... would love to be called to repentance though if he becomes amazing. He's a spunky role player right now with high hopes. If he's our starter next year it's a pretty big step back from Hill.

I like what I'm seeing right now but every doubt I had has been totally justified based on how he was playing.

So u were expecting starter quality from the start of his career? Of the top ten picks taken in Exum's draft he was the most raw, and among the youngest in his class, and probably less ready for minutes. Showing potential and growing pains should be what u expected out of Exum to this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach Lowe had this to say about Dante in his "10 things I like and don't like" article:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...ings-like-featuring-kyrie-irving-artistry-nba

Over the last six weeks, Exum has flashed the kind of burst that made him such an enticing prospect in the 2014 draft. Exum has always been fast. He has gotten smarter about leveraging his speed into more of an advantage by keeping defenders off-balance with pauses and feints toward oncoming screeners. His explosion once he steps on the gas seems to catch defenders off-guard; he's in front of them, and then, bam, he's zooming past them to the rim.

This kind of feel is step one in building Exum into a rotation-level player on offense. (He's already there on defense). He's still way more comfortable as a straight-line, north-south scorer than in any other role. He struggles when defenses corral him on the pick-and-roll, and force him to slow down and make reads with a live dribble. His passes come too late, or too early, and they are often inaccurate.

Exum has turned the ball over on 28 percent of his pick-and-rolls that have ended Utah possessions. Among 159 guys who have run at least 50 such plays, only four -- Manu Ginobili (sad face), Solomon Hill, Dejounte Murray, and Randy Foye -- have coughed up the ball on a larger share of their pick-and-rolls, per Synergy Sports. Exum ranked dead last by this measure in his rookie season.

His jumper remains wayward. Exum is down to 29 percent on 3s, and a hideous 25 percent from the corners. That's so bad, it almost has to be unsustainable. The Jazz long ago concluded Exum isn't ready to run a team; they tried to extend George Hill before the March 1 deadline, and they're all-in to re-sign Hill in the summer. But keep an eye on Exum. Stuff is starting to happen.

Three things about Exum

1. His jump shot is ugly. It looks mechanically flawed.
2. For a 6'6 guy with long arms, he doesn't seem to get very high above the rim.
3. Facial acne.

He's starting to grow out of #3, let's hope he can get #1 and #2 figured out. If he starts hitting his jump shot and starts dunking instead of settling for layups... well we're gonna have something special.

He's been fun to watch the last couple of weeks.

First, I like the nickname outback godzelle. Second, my only critisicm is his ridiculous cheek bones. While it may be genetics, it could also be that he needs a new make up artist. A little less contour and more highlight might help.

Sent from my VS990 using JazzFanz mobile app

His improvement over the past month or two has been great. He still has a lot of work to do, but all the tools I never saw before that could make an all-star type player are apparent now. He just has to work on consistency.

Lyles on the other hand...well, I never write off players until their 3rd year anyway, and he's had enough solid games to justify more patience with. Still, this stretch is brutal.

So u were expecting starter quality from the start of his career? Of the top ten picks taken in Exum's draft he was the most raw, and among the youngest in his class, and probably less ready for minutes. Showing potential and growing pains should be what u expected out of Exum to this point.

No but his rookie year was not at all what he was billed to be... showed very few flashes of this amazing offensive force... he wasn't explosive getting off the floor. He was fast but rarely used the quickness. He was much better on defense than expected. All I wanted to see was those flashes/bursts of this amazing potential and it just wasn't there.

I didn't think he was a "bust" but I didn't see the amazing upside at all. Many young raw players have come into the league and showed much better than he did, so you can't blame it on youth. It was absolutely fair to question if the kid was going to be good and to question how long away that day will be. We are at a pivot point with our team and can't really donate minutes to non-productive players.

I knew he'd struggle coming off the injury but expected his shot to improve... until the last 10-15 games he hadn't really shown the flashes I expected as a rookie. He has been an effective role player the last few games which is a big step. What he's showed justifies continuing the process of development and keeping hope alive. Had he not turned things around though it would be fair for us to move on... which sucks because he could be a good player... his timeline just wouldn't match ours.

Three things about Exum

2. For a 6'6 guy with long arms, he doesn't seem to get very high above the rim.
3. Facial acne.

He's starting to grow out of #3, let's hope he can get #1 and #2 figured out. If he starts hitting his jump shot and starts dunking instead of settling for layups... well we're gonna have something special.

I would agree with #2 until recently and it wasn't that he couldn't get there he just looked like he couldn't quickly get there... he's shown better ability there.

#1 is fair but he is balanced and his follow through is pretty good. It just takes too long to load up and is flat footed. He holds the ball in front too, so he needs extra space (which defenses freely give) to get it off. I think he can speed it up (like Ingles did) and make it more useable. He's a good free throw shooter which is a good sign. His shot is not broken like MKG or other guys. I think it can go in enough that defenses will have to be honest but he will never be elite off the dribble without some jump shot surgery.

I would agree with #2 until recently and it wasn't that he couldn't get there he just looked like he couldn't quickly get there... he's shown better ability there.

#1 is fair but he is balanced and his follow through is pretty good. It just takes too long to load up and is flat footed. He holds the ball in front too, so he needs extra space (which defenses freely give) to get it off. I think he can speed it up (like Ingles did) and make it more useable. He's a good free throw shooter which is a good sign. His shot is not broken like MKG or other guys. I think it can go in enough that defenses will have to be honest but he will never be elite off the dribble without some jump shot surgery.

Give his body time to fill out. He's having the same issues Hayward did. As he gets stronger he will get more explosive

Give his body time to fill out. He's having the same issues Hayward did. As he gets stronger he will get more explosive

I agree. He's shown enough to warrant more patience... all of that is really based on the last 15 games and the defense his rookie year. I actually defended him above. He was ground bound his rookie year... he's shown some pop to go with his speed this year. I'm not sure he's ever a great leader but Hayward has grown tremendously in that area... though I think he always had sneaky athleticism

it is a little funny, and indicative of how far our expectations have dropped, that people are calling for crow and humble pie just because Dante managed to string together some OK games (and 1 great one in a loss). I think what we DO KNOW is that we DON'T KNOW what he is, good or bad.

I think we can reasonably say that anyone labeling him a bust was a moron.

I think we can reasonably say that anyone labeling him a bust was a moron.

For the record I don't think he was a bust just didn't see the high ceiling based on his play and thought he might develop too slow for our current core. The slow development is not his fault and is understandable just thought the timing would not line up.

Three things about Exum

3. Facial acne.

I don't really care about #1 as long as it goes in. We'll just have to hope he gets better with practice. There are a lot of players with ugly looking jump shots that are pretty accurate.

#2 is just genetics, he never going to be "the Dunkster". I know some players increase their vertical a couple inches at P3, but I would guess it returns to their natural level once the season starts and they aren't doing those lengthy targeted P3 workouts.

#3 he may or may not grow out of this. Boozer and Jessica Simpson never did.

I dunno as my body filled out the only thing that got more explosive were my farts.

Dante can get past just about anyone with his first step but he has a hard time finishing. He needs to learn that Ingles layup high off the glass that is so pretty.

I can't save the video at the time of the shot but it is 4:28 into the video.

[video=youtube_share;faifUeVpNeU]https://youtu.be/faifUeVpNeU?t=265

Last edited:

Jope, are you bleeping blind? Wait'll next year when Dante and Alec start the year injury free. They will be blazing past people. If you haven't seen a huge leap forward from Dante, then you aren't paying attention. I suspect you were one of those calling Dante a bust and refuse to eat humble pie until it's stuffed down your throat. Well, hopefully, you will eventually gag on it.