What's new

Dante Exum repentance thread

Jope, are you bleeping blind? Wait'll next year when Dante and Alec start the year injury free. They will be blazing past people. If you haven't seen a huge leap forward from Dante, then you aren't paying attention. I suspect you were one of those calling Dante a bust and refuse to eat humble pie until it's stuffed down your throat. Well, hopefully, you will eventually gag on it.

Haha, we've been saying "wait till this team is injury free" for the past two and half seasons. Good luck on that.

To play devils advocate, It's not unexpected to make a leap when for much of the season you are by most metrics one of the worst rotation players in the league. No where to go but up or out, and with the investment the jazz made he certainly wasnt going out.

Now, do i think he'll be a long term piece? The jury it's still out.. But calling for repentance after he plays ok for a few games just makes you look like a pathetic homer fan boi.

Speaking of Exum's athleticism - there was a great post over on r/nba about Jeremy Lin. Basically Daryl Morey had Lin 15th on his big board preceding the draft but ignored it because he figured his model was wrong. Morey admits now to an unconscious bias of Asians and their athleticism. A couple of years later, new data comes out and shows that Jeremy Lin has one of the fastest first two steps in the NBA. While not a vertical athlete, he is certainly athletic - faster than many high fliers. I think the same can be said of Tony Parker, James Harden, and others. I think Exum is exceptionally athletic. All it takes is eyeballs to see that.

Speaking of Exum's athleticism - there was a great post over on r/nba about Jeremy Lin. Basically Daryl Morey had Lin 15th on his big board preceding the draft but ignored it because he figured his model was wrong. Morey admits now to an unconscious bias of Asians and their athleticism. A couple of years later, new data comes out and shows that Jeremy Lin has one of the fastest first two steps in the NBA. While not a vertical athlete, he is certainly athletic - faster than many high fliers. I think the same can be said of Tony Parker, James Harden, and others. I think Exum is exceptionally athletic. All it takes is eyeballs to see that.
Jordan Clarkson was also overlooked in this aspect. Its happens plenty if you really look.. I had him in graded in the 1st rd because I knew he was one of the best at getting to the rack.

U could say it might have been a reason the Jazz liked Burks over Kawhi. It works both ways.

Certainly the Jazz thought Trey Burke had more burst than he did... Meanwhile Schroder who's a true speed merchant by all measures is right there on the board..

He shows SOMETHING, and actually what he shows is something thats scarce or rare.. you just gotta know what you're looking at.

Good example; I used to have a long running argument with AKMVP (does he still post?) about Dante's 1st step.

He used to claim that X wasn't fast and didn't have blazing acceleration. I used to say his first step is "a force of nature" and "lightning quick"..

at this point, conclusively there's evidence of the ladder..

Exum vs Jabari moving forward in that draft class could be interesting to track after jabari's latest injury.

Yeah, I said before draft that in pre draft videos he looked like nothing special and vastly overrated for where he was projected to be drafted. I agree that he has great first step but when it comes to speed he is still not on par with athletic freaks - lightning quick guards like Westbrook, Rose ( pre injury) or Wall.
Having said that I still think he is overrated on this board and certainly has no star potential. I will stick to my initial assessment that he is Shawn Livingston at best.

Yeah, I said before draft that in pre draft videos he looked like nothing special and vastly overrated for where he was projected to be drafted. I agree that he has great first step but when it comes to speed he is still not on par with athletic freaks - lightning quick guards like Westbrook, Rose ( pre injury) or Wall.
Having said that I still think he is overrated on this board and certainly has no star potential. I will stick to my initial assessment that he is Shawn Livingston at best.

I totally agree with you. The guy makes half-dozen good drives towards the basket during his third year in the league and people here start to talk about him like he is the second coming of Penny Hardaway.

Exum has showed little, guys. Almost nothing. He is still far from becoming even a mediocre NBA player.

Reactions: MVP