What's new

Dante Exum vs. Zach Lavine

Drafting Exum was 100% based on his potential. There was no one that has more potential than Zack Lavine. He measures out incredible, 46" standing vert and good shooter. The only advantage Exum has over Lavine is quickness. I think in a few years were going to regret not drafting Zack Lavine. How long will it be before Exum drops 28 in a game?

Drafting Exum was 100% based on his potential. There was no one that has more potential than Zack Lavine. He measures out incredible, 46" standing vert and good shooter. The only advantage Exum has over Lavine is quickness. I think in a few years were going to regret not drafting Zack Lavine. How long will it be before Exum drops 28 in a game?

Let's judge their careers solely off of who has more 28 point games.

zach's no step vert is 33.5

and max 41.5

he had a 3-4step run at the lakers workouts where he got like 46 or something.

For every Durant who can build confidence and whose body advantage translates to the NBA there are 5 OJ Mayo, whose egos are overinflated and career ceilings really destroyed because they would have needed guidance and needed to fully absorb every little piece they could possibly grasp about basketball.

Take Paul George. He wasn't highly recruited, he wasn't the highlight of his AAU team. So he never got that Brandon Jennings entourage treatment.
Have you ever heard that dude speak? He's a friggin numbnut. He was lucky he got the guidance of Larry Bird and was a late bloomer. If he's exploding in 8th grade, I promise you he's never developing lock down defense and he Starburies his way out of the league over the course of his rookie contract.

And that's the issue I take with glorified pickup basketball. These Eurocamps in Treviso that Exum visited annually over the summer and the U18 worldcups and stuff. He's meeting talent there. A lot of guys will play more successful professional basketball than AAU trainwrecks in Europe for a decade.

And if that's not clear enough:
For every Einstein who is a pioneer and has a unique way of learning, there are 100 other very intelligent students that need the best possible education to become skilled in their respective field of expertise.
You don't need LeBron, Kobe, MJ, Shaq, Magic to win the NBA.
Tim Duncan who is just tall and not AAU lobotomized is enough to build a dynasty. And not surprisingly he's playing with players who in majority are from outside the USA...

But I respect everyone's choice. If you're into watching a 5 min dunk only highlight reel of 16 year olds while getting more and more convinced that that's the next big thing, so be it.

You are completely missing the point. I'm not saying Lavine is going to be better than Exum because of AAU basketball, just ahead of the learning curve as far as the level of talent he's facing. Not sure how that got lost on you.

You are completely missing the point. I'm not saying Lavine is going to be better than Exum because of AAU basketball, just ahead of the learning curve as far as the level of talent he's facing. Not sure how that got lost on you.

I'd rather say that you're too limited to recognize what I've been trying to display here about your misconceptions. Have a nice day though.

Bah, I think Lavine's ceiling is Russell Westbrook, which certainly wouldn't suck, especially where he was drafted. I believe Exum's ceiling is something else entirely, because although he has elite athletic skills, the basketball awareness is off the charts. He just needs to grow older and bigger.

Bah, I think Lavine's ceiling is Russell Westbrook, which certainly wouldn't suck, especially where he was drafted. I believe Exum's ceiling is something else entirely, because although he has elite athletic skills, the basketball awareness is off the charts. He just needs to grow older and bigger.

Think Lavine is more of a Jamall Crawford w/ more explosiveness. He isn't as strong as Westbrook and seems to be more of a 3pt shooter.

well would you say MCW is more athletic than dante?

Wasnt MCW's vert like 41? dantes like 34.

well would you say MCW is more athletic than dante?

Wasnt MCW's vert like 41? dantes like 34.

I don't know. All I know is that I think Dante Exum is going to be awesome. I think MCW is going to be less awesome. I think Dante is a better shooter, and probably a better athlete than you are giving him credit for.

Who would you rather have on your team? Exum or Lavine? They are tot's different players, yo. Similar build, but tot's different.

Lavine = Pros: freak athlete, aggressive shooter, scorer,
Cons: Did you watch draft night? Plays reckless
Similar traits as: Klay Thompson, Jamal Crawford, Westbrook
Exum = Pros: Playmaker, Patient, Pure passer, Character, defender
Cons: Lack of experience, not aggressive yet
Similar traits as: Tony Parker, Rubio, and dare I say, a young Kobe without a killer instinct

Let's think about who you would prefer to play with. If I am on the court playing with Lavine, I would have to play a lot of defense. I would watch him do a lot of fantastic dunks and force a lot of things. If I am on a team with Exum, it's a party on the offensive end because if I make a hard back cut, I know that I will find the ball in my hands. If I spread, I know I will have 3 - 5 open corner 3s during the game.

I am VERY VERY VERY happy that we drafted Exum over Lavine! He fits our style and program in a way Lavine just wouldn't fit.

Who would you rather have on your team? Exum or Lavine? They are tot's different players, yo. Similar build, but tot's different.

Lavine = Pros: freak athlete, aggressive shooter, scorer,
Cons: Did you watch draft night? Plays reckless
Similar traits as: Klay Thompson, Jamal Crawford, Westbrook
Exum = Pros: Playmaker, Patient, Pure passer, Character, defender
Cons: Lack of experience, not aggressive yet
Similar traits as: Tony Parker, Rubio, and dare I say, a young Kobe without a killer instinct

Let's think about who you would prefer to play with. If I am on the court playing with Lavine, I would have to play a lot of defense. I would watch him do a lot of fantastic dunks and force a lot of things. If I am on a team with Exum, it's a party on the offensive end because if I make a hard back cut, I know that I will find the ball in my hands. If I spread, I know I will have 3 - 5 open corner 3s during the game.

I am VERY VERY VERY happy that we drafted Exum over Lavine! He fits our style and program in a way Lavine just wouldn't fit.

I wonder is the Rubio thing is going to be very true. I just don't see the scoring instincts/confidence in Exum over the last 10 games or so. Some turnovers and misses would be preferable to him not even trying to score or drive the ball.

I wonder is the Rubio thing is going to be very true. I just don't see the scoring instincts/confidence in Exum over the last 10 games or so. Some turnovers and misses would be preferable to him not even trying to score or drive the ball.

I think Rubio is a great comparison to Exum. Dante is the better athlete and Ricky is a better ball handler and passer.

I think Rubio is a great comparison to Exum. Dante is the better athlete and Ricky is a better ball handler and passer.

Fair comparison. The bad news is Rubio is still a horrific offensive player. So hope he deviates from the path a little.