What's new

Dante's return: mid- to late March per Dennis

Great to hear there's a timeline for coming back, but my initial reaction was a little disappointing hearing mid-late March with all the rumored "around all-star break" talk. This will be so late in the season hard to think they could get him geared up for the playoff run.

If we make the playoffs, and he makes a key stop or shot coming off the bench in an important game, that's about the best we can hope for.

I wonder if the Jazz ask him to play Summer League again lol. Seems weird to see him in SL again but he might need some reps.

Conspiracy theory here:
Is it possible the Jazz really don't want him back at full speed/game shape this season? Give him some minutes - for example, 10 per game - to let him start to mesh with the team. But if Dante were to be in the rotation full-time (20-25/per), shoots well, shows his speed and defense, that could very well really push up his market value. The draft doesn't have a lot of lottery-worthy PG's or combo guards. Rebuilding teams, who will have payroll costs up to the floor whatever they do, could decide Dante is still young enough to be part of their future and sign him to a large offer sheet. Utah matches up to a certain point, but I'm sure they want to get Dante for ~$10m.

Just a thought.

Conspiracy theory here:
Is it possible the Jazz really don't want him back at full speed/game shape this season? Give him some minutes - for example, 10 per game - to let him start to mesh with the team. But if Dante were to be in the rotation full-time (20-25/per), shoots well, shows his speed and defense, that could very well really push up his market value. The draft doesn't have a lot of lottery-worthy PG's or combo guards. Rebuilding teams, who will have payroll costs up to the floor whatever they do, could decide Dante is still young enough to be part of their future and sign him to a large offer sheet. Utah matches up to a certain point, but I'm sure they want to get Dante for ~$10m.

Just a thought.
I would be surprised to see him play the point this season. No reason too, with Rubio, Neto, and Mitchell handling that duty just fine. I expect he will spend a lot of his on court time, parked for a corner 3.

I am salivating at the chemistry that Dante and Donovan had in preseason. This could be huge!
I think we underestimate the positive impact of DM on X at our peril. Maybe I'm too hyped up on the koolaid, but I really think his leadership and play will push X to become what we hope and need on this team. I hope they tear up the league like they did the RMR.

I would be surprised to see him play the point this season. No reason too, with Rubio, Neto, and Mitchell handling that duty just fine. I expect he will spend a lot of his on court time, parked for a corner 3.
Dante has always maintained he's a PG. Doesn't really matter. When he plays alongside Donovan, I suspect both will touch the ball a lot and have opportunities to initiate, just as Ricky and Mitchell do now.

I think we underestimate the positive impact of DM on X at our peril. Maybe I'm too hyped up on the koolaid, but I really think his leadership and play will push X to become what we hope and need on this team. I hope they tear up the league like they did the RMR.
This is a great point. Look at all the intense, competitive players Quin and Lindsey have brought in: Rudy, Donovan, Ingles, O'Neale, Crowder, Rubio, Thabo, Udoh. With Hood leaving, the most passive of the bunch may now be Favors and Exum.

I'm really hoping the Dante we saw briefly in the Utah SL translates to the NBA. I'm not talking about stats as much as just the aggressive nature he displayed. He and Mitchell were electrifying.