What's new

Dante's return: mid- to late March per Dennis

Lets remember Exum looked to be the best player in SL including DM.The kid that played against GS in the playoffs had looked super good to the Coaching staff and management and they shared the excitement of Exum playing with DM as so many here did. Now Exum has many games started and would be playing with team mates he already has alot of court time with .There's only one guy on the Jazz that can run and keep up with Exum and he happens to be the Jazz best player (DM) and he wants to up the pace .Perfect time before the Playoffs to get playing time together for Exum and DM.
Isn't the real hope and plan is to pair up Exum and Donovan together ? This is the real plan for the Jazz is it not.
We already know the chemistry between Gobert and Exum...is very good.

Yeah, I'm still bullish on Exum being a big piece for us going forward. He is a damn talented player and is still extremely young.

The injury history may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. If we get him on a team-friendly deal for 3-4 years, and he makes a leap, he'll turn out to be a real bargain. Similar trajectory to Stephen Curry where the ankle injuries let the W's sign him to one of the best contracts in the modern era.

Certainly not saying he'll become Curry, but there could be parallels there.

Lets remember Exum looked to be the best player in SL including DM.The kid that played against GS in the playoffs had looked super good to the Coaching staff and management and they shared the excitement of Exum playing with DM as so many here did. Now Exum has many games started and would be playing with team mates he already has alot of court time with .There's only one guy on the Jazz that can run and keep up with Exum and he happens to be the Jazz best player (DM) and he wants to up the pace .Perfect time before the Playoffs to get playing time together for Exum and DM.
Isn't the real hope and plan is to pair up Exum and Donovan together ? This is the real plan for the Jazz is it not.
We already know the chemistry between Gobert and Exum...is very good.

Exum will be awesome for increased pace, I agree. Jazz have low-key morphed into a solid transition team these days thanks to adding Rubio and drafting Mitchell. Getting Exum back in the fold will be another huge boost to the team’s fastbreak ability. Signings like Royce, Thabo, Jerebko, etc. who put in effort on D and run the floor have helped. A faster pace while getting back to playing stifling defense w/ Gobert has made this team go next level. The opponent must be conscious of the Jazz fastbreak now. Not to mention, Hood was one of the least-adept transition players and perimeter defenders on the team, so even more gains made in those areas.

No idea if X will ever be very good or not...... but that first step and his speed are legit no doubt.

Conspiracy theory here:
Is it possible the Jazz really don't want him back at full speed/game shape this season? Give him some minutes - for example, 10 per game - to let him start to mesh with the team. But if Dante were to be in the rotation full-time (20-25/per), shoots well, shows his speed and defense, that could very well really push up his market value. The draft doesn't have a lot of lottery-worthy PG's or combo guards. Rebuilding teams, who will have payroll costs up to the floor whatever they do, could decide Dante is still young enough to be part of their future and sign him to a large offer sheet. Utah matches up to a certain point, but I'm sure they want to get Dante for ~$10m.

Just a thought.
Why on earth would Dante be worth $10 million?

Size, wingspan and potential. Wait, why did Saer Sene did not get paid?
The spirit of the hopes and dreams of Saer Sene lives on in Rudy Gobert.

Why on earth would Dante be worth $10 million?
His QO is 6.6 million I believe. There has to be some incentive for him to take a 4 year deal, which means Utah may have to gamble a little.

With Lou Williams taking 8 per, chances are Utah will get Dante fairly cheaply. There have also been a handful of players who got burned pretty badly last year by turning down offers, so agents are going to be really hesitant to advise players on holding out for more. I'm guessing Dante will get more per year than his QO, but it will be interesting to see how much more.

His QO is 6.6 million I believe. There has to be some incentive for him to take a 4 year deal, which means Utah may have to gamble a little.

With Lou Williams taking 8 per, chances are Utah will get Dante fairly cheaply. There have also been a handful of players who got burned pretty badly last year by turning down offers, so agents are going to be really hesitant to advise players on holding out for more. I'm guessing Dante will get more per year than his QO, but it will be interesting to see how much more.

The other scenario is we low ball him, the takes his QO, blows up next year and hits unrestricted FA off a breakout year ....

You can bump this in the summer, but I think on potential alone, Dante would get $10M/per from a rebuilding team. GM's love to spend money. You don't save a dime by having your payroll at $50M. If a team gives him an offer sheet, it will be high because they wont want Utah to match. Exum has a ton of potential and there aren't going to be a lot of PG's in the lottery. Williams took $8M because he wanted to stay in LA. Clippers low balled him (or threatened a trade) because they want to have a ton of cap space this summer. It will be interesting to have both LA teams going after Lebron and George.

Jazz weren't the only team watching the SL games. Lindsey isn't the only GM who saw Exum start 41 games as a rookie and play very well over the last month or so. I'd consider $10m a bargain, tbh.

I completely forgot that Exum was as young as 22. There is still plenty of time for development. Regarding his injuries, I believe that they have been to different body parts, so at least his doesn't have chronic injury-prone areas. As was noted, his chemistry with Gobert, and it seems with Mitchell, is huge. Dante may be our 3rd piece. For now, we can probably sign him for relatively cheap and sign a larger name as a FA. We need a player that is purely a 3-point shooting threat (a la Korver). I believe that a lack of defense can be covered up in our defensive scheme.

So how does it work? He can settle for the QO of 6.6M and bank on being healthy next season and playing his best ball and getting a really good offer in the summer of 19 or...

turning down the QO and becoming a FA this summer?

I’m thinking a 2 year/16M deal make some sense? Doesn’t cripple us at all. Gets him some relatively legit money but is short enough that he could get a really strong deal at 24 y/o and again at 28 y/o.

^
Is that vastly overpaying?
If you are paying on the potential he will play a season? Yes. Four seasons with the Jazz and he missed one full season, most of another, and a quarter of one. In his rookie campaign, when he actually played 82 games, there were some flashes, but most complained about his lack of aggression and shooting. The aggression thing is understandable given he was a 19 year old rookie and his shooting could improve. In the 2016/2017 campaign, his FG% improved, but his 3p% dropped. He reminds me a lot of Raul Lopez. All the potential in the world, but his body couldn't take it. Damn shame as well. I'd have to question doing the QO at this point. Of course, this is just me and I'm not DL or Quin. They may see something I don't, but I'm over the Exum experiment unless he explodes when he returns. If he doesn't, the Jazz must consider other long term options.

^
Yeah we disagree then. I see a lot of potential. Honestly my biggest gripe with him is how he moves. He seems like a spazz out there and it’s no wonder he gets injured. Like no awareness.

^
Yeah we disagree then. I see a lot of potential. Honestly my biggest gripe with him is how he moves. He seems like a spazz out there and it’s no wonder he gets injured. Like no awareness.
Fair enough. Just do you want a PG who spazz's and gets injured like that. He needs to play under control.

I just hope he still runs around with the “finger guns” all the time. Oh, and that he still holds his shorts with an open mouth on every dead ball even though he isn’t tired. Hope he reaches his potential AND keeps his spastic quirks.