What's new

David Locke/Utah Jazz feature podcast

Never understood the homer thing. I have never heard him trash what is going on but he regularly questions things in the flow of the game. He is much less a homer than other NBA announcers I have heard and has much better analytical insights. I don't get the Locke hate but then I don't get the hate for Boler or Harp either. We have it better than most in terms of home team announcers.

all you have to do is listen to the Cav's, Celtics or Toronto's announcers to realise the Jazz' are ok

all you have to do is listen to the Cav's, Celtics or Toronto's announcers to realise the Jazz' are ok

Yup. I travel a lot and listen to other teams announcers as well as the occasional national announcers who do our games. I prefer what we have. And like him or not, I learn stuff when I listen to Locke which I really like.

Locke is pretty damn good and informed. He has some quirks but he puts out a lot of content. He gets killed because he’s a little hyper/spastic but I’m a fan of what he does and thought this was a great conversation.

I think Locke is generally a terrible play-by-play announcer and can get annoying at times, but I love his numbers insight and his obvious knowledge/love of the game.

I'll agree with this. I wouldn't say he's a terrible play-by-play guy, but a lot of his enthusiastic calls are really goofy/cheesy. But I do really like his analytical approach to the game. The guy is very serious about his craft which I respect.

So I am just wondering who the Locke haters recommend as an alternative to listen to for general Jazz information and podcast based discussions that provides information as frequently as he does.. that is also easily accessible internationally ?

It would be cool if people talked about what was said in the podcast for those of us who can't listen/haven't had a chance to listen and want to know about any interesting bits, but it's okay, just keep having the same stupid argument people have been having about locke for 200 years. Never gets old! I'm sure if you keep arguing and prove your points with your supreme logic you will convince the other person to like/not like someone. That's not insane. Don't give up!

It would be cool if people talked about what was said in the podcast for those of us who can't listen/haven't had a chance to listen and want to know about any interesting bits, but it's okay, just keep having the same stupid argument people have been having about locke for 200 years. Never gets old! I'm sure if you keep arguing and prove your points with your supreme logic you will convince the other person to like/not like someone. That's not insane. Don't give up!

Bitter much

So I am just wondering who the Locke haters recommend as an alternative to listen to for general Jazz information and podcast based discussions that provides information as frequently as he does.. that is also easily accessible internationally ?

Locke provides nothing I cant find elsewhere. The twitter feed on the front of JazzFanz provides more information than any other source you'll find.

Yes! Anyone who complains about commercials on a free podcast can go jump right off a bridge, by the way. Complaining about minor advertising on a free product? Please.

It is so difficult to skip the ads too (sarcasm)

I love his passion. He truly lives it. But he's also a dorky homer. All in all we're lucky to have him.

I don't mind his homerism as long as it does not destroy objectivity of analysis. Unlike some for other teams, he also does his homework on other teams, speaks honestly about their strengths. But hometown teams want an announcer who is cheering for their team. Would be dull having an objective and unemotional voice. Lock has flat spots but he works hard and cares about the quality of his broadcasts and podcasts. No complaints.

Locke provides nothing I cant find elsewhere. The twitter feed on the front of JazzFanz provides more information than any other source you'll find.
IDK he does do a bit more analysis and has his own OC. I don't always like it or agree with him and he is insufferable when fans question the FO or staff. But if you can wade through all that and ignore the stupid PAAC friday thing he generally produces some stuff you wouldn't get elsewhere. It's sometimes a chore to listen to David, but I do it more often than not just because he does have a good pulse on what the team is thinking and sometimes drops little tidbits about trades or moves. I'm not all that impressed with his actual basketball analysis. He is at his best investigating trends and numbers, but his actual knowledge of the game lacks authenticity. Like he's just parroting something somebody told him.

Lol.

This conversation turned to a discussion about "Locke hate" before anybody even had a chance to say anything bad about him. I guess Locke supporters are taking their job seriously these days, and getting out ahead of the problem.